PDA

View Full Version : Snow Leopard vs Leopard Benchmarks

MacBytes
Aug 29, 2009, 08:20 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Benchmarks
Link: Snow Leopard vs Leopard Benchmarks (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20090829092056)
Description:: Primate Labs takes a look at the performance difference between Snow Leopard and Leopard.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

niuniu
Aug 29, 2009, 08:31 AM
Nice little performance boost for 25 dollars :)

Shasterball
Aug 29, 2009, 09:21 AM
I guess just having a performance boost when upgrading, as opposed to a drop, is pretty good. I do notice that it is a little snappier. Nothing mind blowing, but it's nice to see it tuned up.

aznguyen316
Aug 29, 2009, 09:24 AM
so the 64bit is the 64bit kernel being booted right? Is there a way to get my MB to boot? I've tried editing the plist and the 6,4 no go.

jayducharme
Aug 29, 2009, 12:50 PM
Nice little performance boost for 25 dollars :)

Three percent? I really don't think I'd notice. Going to 64-bit promised a lot more than that.

Instead, Apple focused on making Snow Leopard faster and more stable than Leopard.

And so far it appears they failed miserably. I've attempted four different projects with Logic and each one has crashed.

Analog Kid
Aug 29, 2009, 05:08 PM
Three percent? I really don't think I'd notice. Going to 64-bit promised a lot more than that.
64-bit didn't actually promise anything-- a lot of people overly excited about 64 being twice as big as 32 promised things. There's very little reason to expect 64-bit to make much of a difference-- particularly after generations of code optimized for 32 bit systems.

Leopard already gained most of the performance benefits of 64-bit anyway.

The performance benefit of Snow Leopard isn't going to show up in benchmarks like this-- the benefits are in cleaning the code, Grand Central, OpenCL, better use of multiprocessing, etc.

Floating point and integer performance are going to be nearly identical-- I'd throw the 3% improvement to statistical errors, or SL doing a better job of load balancing so the benchmark app gets fuller use of it's CPU.

BurchBoy
Aug 29, 2009, 06:35 PM

And so far it appears they failed miserably. I've attempted four different projects with Logic and each one has crashed.

Was that with the new Logic 9? Or with Logic 8?

Rocketman
Aug 29, 2009, 08:19 PM
When you get right down to it a point release for an OS is a marketing decision more than a technical one. Apple has incremental upgrades to a stable base of apps and resources and features of an OS generally backward compatible 3-4 generations of hardware. OS 10.6 reduces that to two. This indicates YA philosophical break similar to 8.6 (040), 9.2 (G4) and 10.4 (C2D). Now 10.6 (?).

So if I were a hardware user I would make sure I had a stable platform in my current production OS and plan on a radical hardware and OS upgrade in a year or so.

Oh, wait, I am a hardware user. I run an OS 8.6 box, two 9.2 boxen, two 10.4.11 boxen, zero 10.5 boxes because I hate instability, and look forward to 10.6.3 and some VERY interesting hardware which 10.6 exploits in mid-2010. I am preparing my PO.

If I had an old 10.x box I would update it to 10.4.11. Oh, wait, I do.

Rocketman

:D

plinden
Aug 29, 2009, 08:24 PM
Oh, those are just GeekBench benchmarks. I thought it would be something real-world.

Using Handbrake, encoding the same 22 minute video took 23 minutes on Leopard and 18 on Snow Leopard. However, there was a restart (of course) in there, and that seems to help Handbrake to run better.

rrl
Aug 29, 2009, 08:33 PM
Here's a performance comparison of 10.5.8 and 10.6 using combinations of old and new Core 2 Duo mac minis:

Mac OS X 10.6 Brings Serious Performance Gains (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=macosx_106_benchmarks&num=1)

cwt1nospam
Aug 29, 2009, 11:36 PM
Any reports on improvements to the Finder? More multi-threading?

DMann
Aug 30, 2009, 05:40 PM
Any reports on improvements to the Finder? More multi-threading?Multithreaded and re-written in Cocoa - more responsive overall.

Silencer
Aug 30, 2009, 07:10 PM
Multithreaded and re-written in Cocoa - more responsive overall.

I agree! I used it at my cousins house. The boot up times are quicker. Applications/finder/spotlight load up faster. The quicktime screen capture feature is great for recording tutorials and guides. More has been done 'under the hood' rather than appearance and features. It makes Leopard feel like windows vista lol.

Well worth the upgrade.

j33pd0g
Aug 31, 2009, 01:04 PM
Was that with the new Logic 9? Or with Logic 8?

Yeah, I'd be interested in knowing that too. I've decided to hold off upgrading right away. Though, research into app compatibility (the specific ones I use) indicate I should be all set. Though your comment about Logic crashing has me concerned, as it contradicts the information I found.

More OT, anybody using Logic Pro 9 notice an increased performance?