Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
With Safari 2.0 coming with Tiger in 2005, Apple is still working on improvements in the current version of Safari. Safari 1.3 (v146) was seeded to developers today and offers several under the hood improvments.

Reports indicate primarily that speed has improved noticeably, with several CSS rendering fixes. The most notable improvement appears to be in Safari's Javascript engine.

One users' BenchJS score went from 113 seconds to 16.29 seconds from Safari 1.2.2 to 1.3. Meanwhile Firebox .9 scored 49.0 seconds on the same test/hardware config (1GHz PowerBook).

Attachments

• iChat Image(3WC).jpg
    iChat Image(3WC).jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 20,247

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Macrumors said:
With Safari 2.0 coming with Tiger in 2005, Apple is still working on improvements in the current version of Safari. Safari 1.3 (v146) was seeded to developers today and offers several under the hood improvments.

Reports indicate primarily that speed has improved noticeably, with several CSS rendering fixes. The most notable improvement appears to be in Safari's Javascript engine.

One users' BenchJS score went from 113 seconds to 16.29 seconds from Safari 1.2.2 to 1.3. Meanwhile Firebox .9 scored 49.0 seconds on the same test/hardware config (1GHz PowerBook).

Wicked! I'm already impressed with Safari at the current version. Just keeps getting better.

Just a note: Safari has worked great with my online banking since the beginning.

soosy

macrumors regular
May 6, 2002
Sweet!

I hope they make Safari 2.0 on some level for Panther... meaning features like RSS can be left out but that it renders pages visually the same even if not as fast. Tying browsers to operating system versions is so Microsoftian and makes it a pain to test for when web developing. it's a pain to get Safari into our browser test cycle when you have to say things like "Well, they fixed that in Safari 1.2 but you need to have Panther for that, so we can't really count on people having the latest version." etc. etc.

bcsmith

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
Oaktown, CA
FightTheFuture said:
awesome. now lets get it to work with my webbanking without doing any hacks and i'm golden!

The current version of Safari works fine with my banking (Wells Fargo). It didn't right off the bat, but one of the builds in the 70's fixed that.

Looks like it's time to switch banks....;)

-- Ben

iomar

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
Wow, this amazing! I hope they improve JAVA also and make it work on every websites. Right now Safari doesn't work on some sites that I use. Besides, some sites that let you listen music online doesnot work on Safari or it could be on Mac. Apple needs to fix this problem, too.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
The good: Apple is making great improvements in their already great web browser.

The bad: By this time next year, we will have 3 different incarnations of the same browser on the same platform (albeit different versions)

Safari 1.0 on Jaguar
Safari 1.3 on Panther
Safari RSS (2.0) on Tiger

A bit confusing. :confused:

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
It's a bummer we have to wait 9 months to get a web browser that looks pretty close to completion. I guess that's the way it works. Lets hope 1.3 makes it a bit snappier, my safari lags like crazy when I have a couple tabs open and try to switch between them.

dguisinger

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
Freg3000 said:
The good: Apple is making great improvements in their already great web browser.

The bad: By this time next year, we will have 3 different incarnations of the same browser on the same platform (albeit different versions)

Safari 1.0 on Jaguar
Safari 1.3 on Panther
Safari RSS (2.0) on Tiger

A bit confusing. :confused:

I really hope there is more to 2.0 than RSS. I never would find myself really using the RSS features, it doesn't interest me that much.

Infact I hate how apple's marketing engine adds one feature to the name of a product.
Safari RSS
iChat AV

I hope this isn't something that they are going to keep doing. I mean seriously, what if they let you print your settings from System Preferences for archival... Preferences Print? Adding a feature as part of the name is a bad idea, especially since in this case RSS is a small feature, not something everyone will use, and to most people the name is going to confuse, not help the situation.

On another note, the dual search fields in safari would be annoying.

spankalee

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
JDOG_ said:
It's a bummer we have to wait 9 months to get a web browser that looks pretty close to completion. I guess that's the way it works. Lets hope 1.3 makes it a bit snappier, my safari lags like crazy when I have a couple tabs open and try to switch between them.

How much RAM do you have? I find Safari pretty snappy as long as it keep everything in RAM and doesn't have to do any page swaps. As soon as you have to tag the disk to switch tabs isn't going to slow down.

dizastor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2001
Los Angeles
dguisinger said:
On another note, the dual search fields in safari would be annoying.

I really hope that there is an option to get rid of the RSS search box.
Of course then you'd get a pop-up box telling you "We are sorry that you have switched from Safari RSS to Safari 1.3, we now bring you... kernel panic"

Sauron1440

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
I really think that Apple needs to backport their rendering improvements to older OS versions - Speed improvements are nice and all, but for a web designer, it's VERY difficult to make a web page that displays consistently across all the various versions of Safari in use - and it has an OS-enforced upgrade cap if you're still on Jaguar. Users are far more likely to upgrade to a Software Update-provided Safari upgrade than a Firefox download (which, thankfully, is exempt from Apple's marketing manipulations). Oh, well. Apple is as apple does.

stylewriter

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2004
Johnson City, TN
safari javascript

The main problem I have with the javascript engine in Safari 1.2 is that it doesn't support onblur. Basically this lets you run a bit of javascript when something loses focus(it actually doesn't support any change of focus functions). If they add support in for onblur, I'll start writing my javascripted sites to be compatable with Safari.

M

må¥å

greenmonsterman said:
I really hope that there is an option to get rid of the RSS search box.
Of course then you'd get a pop-up box telling you "We are sorry that you have switched from Safari RSS to Safari 1.3, we now bring you... kernel panic"

Yes you can get rid of the RSS search box as you can get rid of the google search box.

RRS is actually a neat feature as mentioned at WWDC Keynote. It can find information of interest much faster than Google and it is more current (upto date) than the information on google.

I would suggest to hold off your comments about RRS until you try it with safari. You don't know what you might need until you use it to your own preferences.

M

må¥å

Sauron1440 said:
I really think that Apple needs to backport their rendering improvements to older OS versions - Speed improvements are nice and all, but for a web designer, it's VERY difficult to make a web page that displays consistently across all the various versions of Safari in use - and it has an OS-enforced upgrade cap if you're still on Jaguar. Users are far more likely to upgrade to a Software Update-provided Safari upgrade than a Firefox download (which, thankfully, is exempt from Apple's marketing manipulations). Oh, well. Apple is as apple does.

I can see your point that locking mac users out from recent features and updates to various applications can cause issues. However you have to remember people saying that Jag is teh best and that is all they need, and now people care saying panther is better and thats all they need. With Tiger it seems even better however you have to give a user reason to upgrade thats how the OS and applications become better with more effecient feature sets. Its not like Safari won't work its just that if you are compelled to use the newer feature you can upgrade and regard support the OS development.

Would you rather stick with MS instead or use Linux. You do have a choice there are other browsers hell i use the other browsers from time to time if Safari fails to load a site.

Cheers mate its a double sided argument with a positive and neagative response on both ends.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
JDOG_ said:

How much RAM do you have? I experience that same thing with a 1Ghz eMac with 256MB RAM. Adding a 512MB RAM card and the problem is history, even with 20 tabs/windows open at once.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
nsb3000 said:
Glad to here apple is not going to leave us non-developers out in the cold...

What does this mean? Apple is a company that is passionate about what they do and what they can create. Good isn't good enough.. they have to make it g-g-g-g-great!

nsb3000

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Sauron1440 said:

I completely agree. In an ideal world, safari would be free to all, but at least the rendering engine (webkit) should be equal across all versions of os x. There is no reason it can't be.

M

må¥å

I hope and wish CORE IMAGE is used with safari, thus one can manipulate the way one sees content on a web page in a 2D and or 3D manner.

I can make the webpages or the windows atleast look like a ripped edge piece of paper. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.