Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
Hello,
Well with Snow Leopard just out, lets hear any improvements in the Digital Photography related application such as Aperture, Photoshop, Lightroom and any software related to photography!

Alright, I'll go first.
So far, I just installed Snow Leopard and has been running it for about 30 minutes, when the OS started running, everything seem a bit slow to response and I was getting worried, but after waited for a few minutes, it seems the OS is back to how it was and everything seem faster.

I decided to try Aperture to see if 64 bit will help improve anything, I'm not sure if its me or what, but it seems Aperture runs faster now. Anyone care to comment? :)

P.S: Can't wait for Aperture 3 64 bit, whenever it will be released :)

Loving the improved stacks, expose (and 4 finger touchpad on my 08 Multitouch MBP!! :) )

bertpalmer

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2007
I've found Photoshop to be a pot faster. Haven't done that much work in lightroom to see if there is a difference. Seems a bit more responsive...

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I'm not sure if its me or what, but it seems Aperture runs faster now. Anyone care to comment? :)

I think its you, unless the commercial release boots into a 64-bit kernel by default- because the pre-releases don't (and it looks like my MBP can't go there anyway , despite having a C2D.) Way too soon to convert my main platform.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
I haven't received my copy yet. I will upgrade a cloned copy of my Mac Pro hard drive sometime in the next week to see how things go. I expect everything to work acceptably except for Nikon's software. HP's printer drivers are pretty sucky these days too so I wouldn't be surprised to see problems there as well.

My Mac Pro is 64 bit capable, but my pre-Santa Rosa MBP is not. I bought the MP mainly to run VMWare and that software does not yet function in 64-bit mode, so I don't expect to boot into 64-bit SL much.

On the topic of 64 vs. 32-bit SL, this site is useful: http://www.ahatfullofsky.comuv.com/English/Programs/SMS/SMS.html

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    70.9 KB · Views: 80

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
I think its you, unless the commercial release boots into a 64-bit kernel by default- because the pre-releases don't (and it looks like my MBP can't go there anyway , despite having a C2D.) Way too soon to convert my main platform.
Hmm, reason I said that is cause I can run Aperture Full Screen on my MBP, before Full Screen is basically pointless cause after I go to the next image or jumps a few image I will see the dreaded loading screen, not so on Aperture running on Snow Leopard though.

OatmealRocks

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
I use CS4, Lightroom 2 and Acrobat. Can anyone tell me if SL will work with the Adobe suite of products?

Will there be better performance for Adobe because of the OS?

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
LR2 doesn't seem any faster under SL. About the same performance on a 24" iMac 3.06GHz 8800GS

OatmealRocks

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
I think I upgraded my MacBook Pro in June, and haven't had any CS4 issues at all, I don't run LR though.

You upgraded the NEW OS in JUNE??? I'm talking about the SL and if it is compatible with Adobe products. I have read on the OS X forum some issues with application and the new SL.

ManhattanPrjct

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
Hmm, reason I said that is cause I can run Aperture Full Screen on my MBP, before Full Screen is basically pointless cause after I go to the next image or jumps a few image I will see the dreaded loading screen, not so on Aperture running on Snow Leopard though.

That's good news, but what vintage MBP are you using, wheelhot?

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
My MBP 15" was the first generation MBP to be introduced with the 3 finger multi touch (that should be middle of last year).

So far it seems Aperture ran a lil bit snappier in full screen mode and images loaded faster then previously, besides it seems there is no problem with CS4, I don't notice any speed gains with CS4 though :( Guess we have to wait for CS5 to see some speed boost.

Now where is my Aperture 3? :D

joshsroka

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2008
Photoshop and Lightroom Slower

since i installed Snow leopard CS4 and Lightroom have been running slower

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
1. Zooming in and out ion LR 2.4 is noticeably jerky (it's silky smooth under Leopard!).

2. No speed gains on import from an SD card.

3. A tad slower export from RAW (Canon CR2) originals to 100% quality jpgs.

4. LR loads faster (but loading speed was not really an issue for me on Leopard).

Hopefully the annoying jerky animation will be addressed soon by either Apple or Adobe. LR is a lot less fun to use when it stutters like this.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
CS3 and CS4 both boot faster on my MBP and Mac Pro. CS3 runs about the same, CS4 just a hair faster, opening both side-by-side and comparing operations on the Mac Pro.

My only problem with Snow Leopard (upgrade, not clean install) is that NX2 v 2.2.2 doesn't work with it yet.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
iPhoto (certainly not pro software) is not any faster, and a bit buggy under Snow Leopard. I've had it refuse to quit on one occasion, and have had some weird behaviour transferring files from an SD card reader to iPhoto. (Duplicates of the same card appearing in the folder list, things like that).

Otherwise, a few other minor things (exiting from fullscreen causes the viewing area to briefly flash black, etc.).

Edit: Oh, this thread was supposed to be about improvements...

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
Edit: Oh, this thread was supposed to be about improvements...
Nope, this thread is for users to post their SL experience, good or bad, improvement or no improvement :D

So far, besides the slight Aperture speed bump, I feel CS4 is just slightly faster at certain operations.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I've been running SL for a week. Short answer is no problems, no big difference.

Subjectively Aperture feels smoother and more responsive. Perhaps it loads a tad faster and loads RAW images a bit faster.

One thing I don't remember happening. When I switch from full screen to the normal viewer there is a short flash of a transparent image as it goes through the transition. Anyway, this has no effect on performance.

By the by, I've seen no problems with any other programs whether related to imaging or not. Of course, there is still time. In one week I haven't run through all possibilities and I haven't made an effort to check things extensively.

Deltaguy

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2009
Aperture really slow in Snow Leopard

My experience has been that Aperture takes forever to do anything since I installed Snow Leopard. I did a Google search on the line: "Aperture really slow in Snow Leopard" and got over 9,000 hits. When I went to the Aperture support forum the Aperture thread was down so I'm guessing that there are a lot of us in the same boat.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
My experience has been that Aperture takes forever to do anything since I installed Snow Leopard. I did a Google search on the line: "Aperture really slow in Snow Leopard" and got over 9,000 hits. When I went to the Aperture support forum the Aperture thread was down so I'm guessing that there are a lot of us in the same boat.

Aperture is a little snappier for me. Lightroom is one of the few apps that is 64 bit so that may show a real speed increase. Can't wait for the next Aperture update....

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
okay, after a few weeks of using Snow Leopard, I found a few bugs.
1st: Photoshop and Aperture has issues when I chose to edit using external editor from Aperture to Photoshop. It gave me file is open/active when I'm trying to save the .psd file.

2nd: Nik plugin has issues with Photoshop, it is too wide and some labels are readable garbage (same issue with Nikon NX software)

Well other then that, everything seem snappier. And yeah cant wait for Aperture 3!!

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
My only problems (and I'll admit I installed over 10.5.8 after doing a disk/permissions check) are the occasional sleep mode problem (won't do it) and I've had two instances where the rainbow spinner would come on and never stop. Doing option-command-esc wouldn't bring up the task killer either. :(

I *might* do a reformat with 10.6 after summer quarter ends, but I was hoping MacOS would be better than Windows Garbage(tm) in that regard. :( Still, when I used Linux I reformatted from scratch anyway, and configuration files can be a pain, regardless...

Unless these bugs I mentioned are more known and I haven't actively looked -- 10.6 has been genuinely pleasant given the giant increase in performance. Every CS4 master suite app loads in, what, half the time... :D And I thought OS X 10.5.6 beat the snot out of Vista... Even 10.6 had far, far, far, far fewer issues.

Oh, MS Word loads fonts a tad more slowly... but I won't include MS products officially in my response. They're fairly buggy under 10.5.x too.

montana105

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2009
NX2 2.2.2 and NX View and NX Transfer

After i installed snow leopard, none of these will stay running, all i get is the spinning wheel of death. Some sites seem to be promoting going back to NX2 2.2.0.

I should not have installed Snow Leopard, next time i will read everything before i install an update from Apple. They screwed up a lot here.:(:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.