Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 18, 2004
I'm finally going to update from an old epson stylus photo 1270 (it's been a champ over the years) and I need advice. I'm thinking that 8.5" X 11" is the biggest I'll print. For good quality prints, am I going to have to go ahead and get something like the Epson R1900 or R2880 even though I'm thinking I wont need the capability to print at 13" X 19"......what do people recommend?

Saving some cash would be the motivation for buying something less expensive of course.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 18, 2004
nobody makes prints any more???

uh oh....well that would explain why it seemed like there are so few options

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I print, but 13x19 was a criterion for me- so I got a 1400- I've had good luck with Epsons and extremely bad luck with HP's "Professional" inkjets. I haven't even looked at which ink sets the smaller printers use, so I can't offer anything useful.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 18, 2004
it looks like the smaller epson "artisan" printers use the same inks as the 1400, the specs seem to be the same so I suspect it's the same printing hardware set up in a smaller format printer

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
I bought a Canon Pro9000 Mark II that will print up to 14x22, maybe longer than 22" but the manual only supports up to 22". The prints so far have been really good but still fine tuning the smaller sizes so that once I'm ready to print the large sizes the colors are set correctly. I can't comment about Epson on the large sizes so good luck.
Last, I can print on media up to 1.2mm thick which should be a nice piece of bristol board for my art work. I know the Canon special paper is somewhat heavy, say about 93lb but I know fine art paper can run heavy anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.