Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesapp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
Ok,
I was trying to get a doubletalk speech synthesizer to work with my MacBook pro laptop. I had bought a USB to serial port adaptor and had installed a driver. I wasn't able to get my screen reader software program to work with my speech synthesizer, my USB to serial adaptor and my laptop. A dialogue box came up once when I had my synthesizer plugged in saying my computer had found new hardware and it asked if I wanted mac os x to open system preferences to set up the new hardware. I opened system preferences and under networking there was my USB to serial adaptor with a picture of a phone on it. I believe my computer was treating my speech synthesizer as a modem. I wonder, I couldn't connect to the synthesizer I got a modem error message. I am wondering if I would need to have my computer connect to the synthesizer via my USB to serial adaptor in order for my screen reader software to work? I also wondered how to figure out how to connect to the synthesizer if it acts like a modem? Like how I would figure out the settings in system preferences? Do I need a dial up number? I have been researching zterm which I believe is a terminal emulator program for mac os x which can be used to communicate with a serial device? I just recently installed snow leopard and am concerned about compatibility? I also have heard of c-Kermit or just Kermit which is a free alternative to zterm. I think Kermit runs in the terminal app. I just wondered if anyone with any experience with the zterm app or any general experience with serial communication software could help me? Any help would be appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.