PDA

View Full Version : Should I Be Concerned About Box Damage?

Mac Maven
Jun 30, 2004, 03:56 AM
As I posted on MacNN:

I just got my DP2.0/9800 yesterday! :) :) :) And while I am certainly ecstatic, I am also a bit concerned over the damaged incurred to the box:

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/285/g5boxthumb.jpg (http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/1764/g5boxdamage.jpg)

The dent, thankfully, is above the CPU; the force was localized to such an extent that the styrofoam was also dented, but on the far side of the styrofoam away from the keyboard. That indicates to me that it happened after it shipped. I asked the Fedex guy about it, and he stated it was fine, of course. I'm just concerned that the unit was dropped by Fedex. In addition to that the bottom of the box wasn't sealed that firmly, so that the flaps were open a bit under the weight of the machine. Certainly not enough to cause the bottom to open, though. I'm waiting a couple of days to get my Kingston RAM (great price for the 256 Kit - $110 total from ewiz.com), so I haven't taken my baby out of its box yet. Do you think I should fret about it or even contact Apple?

rendezvouscp
Jun 30, 2004, 04:00 AM
I would take pictures like you did, and if anything arises, you can site that as a problem. But, with the way the G5's are packed, it should be fine.
–Chase

Falleron
Jun 30, 2004, 04:06 AM
I would check the G5 for any scratches etc. If nothing has been damanged (which I doubt) then the packaging has done its job.

Dont worry.

MacFan26
Jun 30, 2004, 04:11 AM
Apple sure does pack it's equipment well, and I wouldn't be too worried about it since it doesn't look to bad from the picture. I'd just keep the pictures, and if something doesn't work when you open it, contact Apple.

Mac Maven
Jun 30, 2004, 04:26 AM
Thank you all for your reassuring messages. I tend to obsess over things like this, when I know I really shouldn't. It doesn't seem like the box was dropped to me, but rather that it hit something at that particular angle. I wish they could have sent me a pristine box, but everyone knows shipping companies aren't perfect.

rendezvouscp
Jun 30, 2004, 04:29 AM
I don't think you are obsessing, it's just a thing with Apple products. It can be devastating for even small things to go wrong. I remember cleaning out my G5 from dust, and accidentally breaking off that little piece of plastic that is the end of the AGP card. I felt horrible. But, in the end, it's ok. :)
–Chase

Golem
Jun 30, 2004, 04:49 AM
The only damage to really watch out for is little slits which indicate some ran a fork lift through it. Had that once barely noticable on the outside and you had to look for it to see the damage and inside a Big DENT!. Put it back in the box and send it back DOA and had to wait for another 3 weeks.

wordmunger
Jun 30, 2004, 08:01 AM
I haven't taken my baby out of its box yet. Do you think I should fret about it or even contact Apple?

Take it out of its box right away and inspect for visible damage. If there's a problem, you'll want to return it now so you can get a replacement as soon as possible.

Not to put any sense of panic in you, but my wife, who works at a university, just received two dual 2.0's, one of which was damaged, and it took about 3 weeks for a replacement. According to their IT guy, 5 of the 7 dualies they received in that shipment had to be returned.

drizahy4
Jun 30, 2004, 12:19 PM
im just curious to what shipping company are you guys getting these packages like this?

Macmaniac
Jun 30, 2004, 12:53 PM
My store orders quiet a few Apple CPUs and FedEx Ground always seems to be a little rough with the boxes, they are often partly dented or sometimes the box is partly crushed. Thankfully this has never affected the products.

jsw
Jun 30, 2004, 12:58 PM
My G5's box was a bit banged up as well, but no problems with the system.

I'm sure you're worried about G-force damage to the hard drives, etc., but note that the G5 is so damned heavy that a drop of any real distance would be likely very obvious on the box unless it landed exactly flat. Still, as everyone has said, examine it carefully, open the side panel and look for loose parts, make sure it runs OK (keeping it on for a few days straight, at least), etc.

Edit:

a closer look at the picture leads me to agree with you - something hit the box; the box wasn't dropped. Well, maybe it was dropped, too, with no evidence. But that damage definitely looks like something hit the box, not vice versa.

jsw
Jun 30, 2004, 01:04 PM
Mac Maven, any news?

BTW, there's no problem adding the RAM after you check out the G5. In fact, it'll make it easier to verify that any problems are not due to the RAM (I'm sure the RAM won't cause a problem, but Apple support is going to blame it if there's a problem).

And, also, how can you just sit there with that box and not open it? You have some amazing self control! :)

michaelrjohnson
Jun 30, 2004, 01:24 PM
And, also, how can you just sit there with that box and not open it? You have some amazing self control! :)

It's very impressive... I must say.

sandmann41
Jun 30, 2004, 01:31 PM
I wouldn't worry. Most companies, when products are being qualified for sale they go through a long list of tests. One is to make sure the product can survive this very sort of incident (fun test to perform, lol). The company I work for does this for everything we sell.

keysersoze
Jun 30, 2004, 01:40 PM
It's very impressive... I must say.

DITTO THAT!

were you one of those kids that COULD wait for presents??? (especially $2000 ones??) :eek:

wdlove
Jun 30, 2004, 01:53 PM
I agree with everyone, I would not be too concerned. You have done what you can with taking a picture. Apple really does a good job with packing. As long as the unit itself is OK then you should be all set. As a backup there is AppleCare.