Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
i'm looking for a firewire enclosure, i know OWC ones have been talked about as the best on many many threads. But it's also almost double the price, only available online (for me), and have to be shipped across border (to Canada).

on the other hand, i found a ByteCC firewire/USB 2.0 enclosure at a local store. it's also driven by Oxford 911, and the case looks pretty good, too.

so, are they any good?? if i can just get the bytecc, that would be best, but i'm not going to choose convenience if i'm sacrificing too much in quality.

also, what about KingWin??

or maybe if anybody knows an OWC dealer in toronto, that would be much appreciated. or maybe just any store that has their Firewire/USB 2.0 enclosures.

dbauer

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2003
Cleveland, OH
I own a ByteCC firewire 5-1/4 / 3-1/2" drive enclosure. It works great with both a hard drive or a DVD burner that I have stuck in it over the past 6 months. My only gripe is that it includes a small fan in the rear of the unit that is noticably loud. Its not really necessary with a DVD Burner but if you have a super hot HDD, you may want it. You can disconnect it. The transfer speed is not as quick as I would have expected it to be using XBench but its still faster than any other method to get data in and out of the mac externally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.