PDA

View Full Version : Will an ATA hard drive from a PowerBook G4 go into an iBook G3?

EssentialParado
Aug 30, 2009, 01:51 PM
Will my 80GB hard drive from my 1.5GHz Aluminum PowerBook fit into my G3 iBook 14" ?

I found the specs pages for each, and apparently the iBook drive is ATA, and the PowerBook is ATA/100, but I don't know if that makes it incompatible?

rowsdower
Aug 30, 2009, 02:02 PM
All parallel ATA (not serial-ATA or SATA) drives and controllers are compatible if they fit together physically. The different numbers just have to do with speeds.

NewMacbookPlz
Aug 30, 2009, 04:09 PM
You'll be fine. Chances are the iBook is ATA/33 or 66, but since the drive is newer/faster, it'll just run at the slower speed of the controller in the iBook.

EssentialParado
Aug 30, 2009, 08:44 PM
Okay, thanks guys! Always worth double checking before dismantling an iBook :p

quantum003
Aug 31, 2009, 12:03 AM
Interesting that you're gutting the Powerbook G4 in favor of the iBook G3... did your Powerbook die somehow?

Have you opened a G3 ibook before? Nasty... the hard drive is the last thing you get to. Make sure you have a nice set of jeweler's screwdrivers... and personally I use a 30-day medication holder to put screws into. I wrote numbers 1-30 in the boxes with a Sharpie, and then I write on a separate paper what's in each box. You won't remember where they go- trust me.

Just some suggestions in case you are a first time disassembler of old iBooks. Good luck. :)

EssentialParado
Aug 31, 2009, 07:49 AM
Interesting that you're gutting the Powerbook G4 in favor of the iBook G3... did your Powerbook die somehow?
Oh no no…

I upgraded the PowerBook's drive to 250GB a few months back, and have had this 80GB drive lying around. May as well put it to good use!

Thanks for the tips. I've actually taken apart those darn iBooks over and over and over for various reasons… they really are little buggers to get into ;)