PDA

View Full Version : Background Ideas

janitorC7
Aug 30, 2009, 04:23 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm lacking some ideas here, this is not quite looking right to me, any ideas?

JC7

http://files.me.com/coopkrings/shvf9n

miles01110
Aug 30, 2009, 08:14 PM
You can just attach the file to your post instead of linking us to a file.

janitorC7
Aug 31, 2009, 03:27 AM
You can just attach the file to your post instead of linking us to a file.

I know, but, there is a file size limit and I don't want to loose the gradients in my image, which I would have to do to make the requirement.

JC7

After G
Aug 31, 2009, 03:50 AM
Not a graphic designer, but ...

- Keep the rounded rectangle with the transparent border.
- The darker blue and the lighter green go nicely.

stuff i wasn't so excited over
- The light blue in the dot of the "I" and the dark green color.
- The wood grain. maybe wood paneling/bamboo pattern? Lighter brown would be nice, like pine.
- No swooshy effect on the top, maybe just a slope, or similar to the rounded rectangle. The current one separates too far from the box and makes the thing feel ununified. Thinner separation between the bands of color in that top area. What's the green band on the bottom for? Feels out of place ... I would like something on the bottom right hand corner for balance with the swoosh in the upper left. The band isn't enough for me.

readability ...
- More differentiation between the letters in the word "chill", and make the dot on the i stand out more, at first glance it looked like it had three L's
- "Frozen yogurt, crepes, and coffee" text should be larger or more legible. i could barely read it. Maybe I'm just getting old. I'm thinking wide letters would be nice. Doesn't have to be centered either - justify them on one side, but don't center them.

My opinions - yours for free. :p

SrWebDeveloper
Aug 31, 2009, 07:13 AM
Great start for a page template.

I agree with many the other ideas posted. I'd consider the following:

The dark wood grain is fine, as you added a light content area
Add in a smaller version of the content area as a white footer area in some form, not exactly matching the top, but allow links/secondary menu text to stands out (i.e. consider a nice looking footer)
I like the band on the bottom, but other user is right, needs to compliment the top in look/feel and colors - i.e. at minumum kill the yellow thin border-jim

janitorC7
Aug 31, 2009, 10:49 AM
Not a graphic designer, but ...

- Keep the rounded rectangle with the transparent border.
- The darker blue and the lighter green go nicely.

stuff i wasn't so excited over
- The light blue in the dot of the "I" and the dark green color.
- The wood grain. maybe wood paneling/bamboo pattern? Lighter brown would be nice, like pine.
- No swooshy effect on the top, maybe just a slope, or similar to the rounded rectangle. The current one separates too far from the box and makes the thing feel ununified. Thinner separation between the bands of color in that top area. What's the green band on the bottom for? Feels out of place ... I would like something on the bottom right hand corner for balance with the swoosh in the upper left. The band isn't enough for me.

readability ...
- More differentiation between the letters in the word "chill", and make the dot on the i stand out more, at first glance it looked like it had three L's
- "Frozen yogurt, crepes, and coffee" text should be larger or more legible. i could barely read it. Maybe I'm just getting old. I'm thinking wide letters would be nice. Doesn't have to be centered either - justify them on one side, but don't center them.

My opinions - yours for free. :p
I agree with you on readability, unfortunately, I'm doing the website, not the logo, and its already been printed. I'll try to work with it more though. Thanks!

Great start for a page template.

I agree with many the other ideas posted. I'd consider the following:

The dark wood grain is fine, as you added a light content area
Add in a smaller version of the content area as a white footer area in some form, not exactly matching the top, but allow links/secondary menu text to stands out (i.e. consider a nice looking footer)
I like the band on the bottom, but other user is right, needs to compliment the top in look/feel and colors - i.e. at minumum kill the yellow thin border-jim
Hey Sr,
you mean second areas using the same colors for secondary links?

JC7

SrWebDeveloper
Aug 31, 2009, 11:52 AM
Footer links, in particular. I don't really see a footer area, so I suggested making a small similar but not exact looking version of the white content area at the bottom. Otherwise even light text on dark wood with the texture and grain will be tough to read. And having a footer with redundant nav menu text links or secondary links, plus "contact us", "privacy info" etc. links is nice and professional looking.

-jim

janitorC7
Aug 31, 2009, 01:38 PM
Footer links, in particular. I don't really see a footer area, so I suggested making a small similar but not exact looking version of the white content area at the bottom. Otherwise even light text on dark wood with the texture and grain will be tough to read. And having a footer with redundant nav menu text links or secondary links, plus "contact us", "privacy info" etc. links is nice and professional looking.

-jim

Ah yes, I gotcha. I was thinking of doing something with that on the green bar at the bottom. If I did that I would extend it onto the white area.

Thanks

jc7

janitorC7
Sep 1, 2009, 02:19 PM
Hey Guys,

So, here is the progression so far, opinions?

http://files.me.com/coopkrings/zhcg7z