PDA

View Full Version : Top Ten Reasons to Upgrade to Snow Leopard TODAY

MacBytes
Aug 30, 2009, 10:00 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Humor
Link: Top Ten Reasons to Upgrade to Snow Leopard TODAY (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20090830230036)
Description:: I’ve seen more than a few interweb critics panning Apple’s Snow Leopard as merely a service pack update, but since installing Snow Leopard yesterday morning, I’ve decided they couldn’t be more wrong. Sure, the only REAL change is the 64-bit stuff that likely won’t matter until sometime around when OS 10.7 comes out, but I’ve noticed more than a few “must-have” goodies that each on their own would more than justify the upgrade cost. Here’s 10 reasons why you should upgrade to Snow Leopard today.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

t0mat0
Aug 30, 2009, 10:43 PM
Stupid article.
I’ve seen more than a few interweb critics panning Apple’s Snow Leopard as merely a service pack update, but since installing Snow Leopard yesterday morning, I’ve decided they couldn’t be more wrong. Sure, the only REAL change is the 64-bit stuff that likely won’t matter until sometime around when OS 10.7 comes out, but I’ve noticed more than a few “must-have” goodies that each on their own would more than justify the upgrade cost. Here’s 10 reasons why you should upgrade to Snow Leopard today.

1: State of the Art: The version number (10.6) is now 20% higher than version 10.5.
2: Performance: The “Jelly” visualizer in iTunes feels like it might run slightly faster
3: Another word for “awesome”. Snow Leopard includes an all-new thesaurus – the Oxford American Writer’s Thesaurus second edition. That’s right.
4: Time-saver: CyberDuck no longer launches, thus saving you tons of wasted ftp-ing time.
5: All-new look: There are now a couple new Snow Leopard-themed wallpapers
6: Rack ‘em and Stack ‘em: “Stacks”, the Dock view nobody ever used, has been updated (although you still won’t use it)
7: Faster shut down: Because…. um who has an extra 8 seconds to spare in this crazy world of ours?!
8: Big Time Graphics: Finder icons can now be as large as 512 by 512 pixels, four times as big as Leopard was able to dish out!
9: Automatic time zone setup: Apple says “If you’re traveling around the world, the last thing you want to worry about is whether your computer is set to the correct time zone. ” I think they meant to say was “the last thing you’ve probably ever worried about is whether your computer is set to the correct time zone”. But hey, it’s there.
10: It only costs $30: And if you have more than 1 Mac, you can rationalize the cost by bringing it down to $15, $10 (or even lower!) with multiple installs. (Oh, don’t act so high and mighty – we all know you never buy the family pack).

jason221
Aug 30, 2009, 10:48 PM
Ha... ha... Pretty lame attempt at humor. :rolleyes:

DMann
Aug 30, 2009, 10:50 PM
Reason 11: It's not Windows 7ista.

BongoBanger
Aug 31, 2009, 05:08 AM
Quite funny! :)

Zimmer62943
Aug 31, 2009, 05:30 AM
This guy must have been expecting an update like from Tiger to Leopard, apple from the beginning wasn't announcing dramatic appearance changes, if that was supposed to be humour, it was very BAD!

kingtj
Aug 31, 2009, 09:42 AM
At first, I was actually expecting to see a serious list. (Would be nice to have as a reference to send to people who still aren't sure what they get out of upgrading today, vs. waiting....)

That doesn't come across to me as humorous at all. It sounds more "anti-Mac" than anything else.

(Really? Cyberduck doesn't work, so that's a good thing since you won't waste time FTPing anything? Oh yeah, I'm laughing out loud at that joke. SO FUNNY....)

The mere fact that OS X Leopard is still for sale (and still the only OS option currently sold for PPC Macs) should tell people that Snow Leopard isn't supposed to be a huge upgrade. (If that wasn't a clue, the $30 price tag should have been.) It's exactly what it was meant to be, though.... a better Leopard for people with newer Intel processors and more recent graphics cards, who can squeeze more performance out of those items with the right OS, designed to be aware of them.

This guy must have been expecting an update like from Tiger to Leopard, apple from the beginning wasn't announcing dramatic appearance changes, if that was supposed to be humour, it was very BAD!

jayducharme
Aug 31, 2009, 11:13 AM
12. The applications you use all the time will now repeatedly crash for no apparent reason. Where have you seen that in a Mac before?

Shasterball
Aug 31, 2009, 12:31 PM
12. The applications you use all the time will now repeatedly crash for no apparent reason. Where have you seen that in a Mac before?

I've noticed a couple of Word 2004 problems. :(

MagnusVonMagnum
Aug 31, 2009, 12:55 PM
The sad thing is it's not that hard to write a REAL list....

TEN Reasons NOT Love Operation Snow-Jobs

1> Still doesn't support Blu-Ray. This has to be the one of the saddest things about OS X. It's supposed to be "state of the art" but it doesn't support the ONLY game in town for 1080P movies. Exactly how state-of-the-art does that make OS X look? It should have had BD *FIRST*, not following the leader of Windows. But when your company has a conflict of interest selling sub-DVD quality movies at high prices, you have little incentive to get with the times.

2> Despite a major OS number bump, only ONE GPU gets hardware accelerated video. Machines made even less than one year ago get no support here. Apple writes their own video drivers and apparently despite having over $24 BILLION in cash reserves, they cannot afford to hire enough programmers to get up-to-date modern GPU drivers that can compete effectively with Windows. Or maybe they just want you to buy a new computer every 6 months since that's their core profit maker? (i.e. MORE conflicts of interests; why update the software for older hardware which makes you no new money? Sure, it hurts your reputation, but who cares about that when the computer equivalent of groupies are your target market group? They don't care about features; they just worship Apple no matter what they do so long as they have cool looking stores and phones)

3> Quicktime X actually has LESS features than 7 Pro (and yes you ARE paying for it with that $29 upgrade fee so spare me the BS about getting some of the pro features for free)

4> Snow Leopard actually drops AFP support for connecting to OS9 Macs. They didn't need or have to do this, but again, it's all about trying to sell new hardware. Who cares if some people have applications they need OS9 to run and now they cannot make a network connection to modern Macs? They should get over it and replace those machines anyway. Apple needs more money and Steve might need another organ transplant so get to spending, people.

5> Games? We don't need no stinking games! Buy an iPod Touch instead! It's the funnest iPod ever. In fact, buy two or three since the older ones won't handle the latest features. Well, they CAN, but Apple will happily deny those features artificially so you HAVE to buy a new one. And if not, you can pay them $10 to get the latest software update. One way or the other, you're gonna pay Apple more money. Get used to it and just don't think about it. You'll be a zombie in no time. Repeat after Steve..."It has something to do with some tax code in Bolivia that says everyone else can give free software updates except Apple."

6> ZFS? What? You thought we'd have that in OS X by now? Ha ha ha ha ha. No, they'll save that for OS X version 10.9 in 2011. They'll get at least another two Macs and three software update fees out of you before then. Besides, we all know Apple doesn't have enough cash reserves to hire more programmers in order to implement these actual desirable features in a timely fashion and they simpy have to use most of the existing ones to keep the iPhone updates coming at a lightning pace.

7> Starting with Snow Leopard, bumping minor software updates up to major os revisions might now occur every six to nine months now. It's been decided if you want bug fixes, you should PAY for them. If you want bug fixes for Leopard and PPC machines that cannot run Operation Snow-Jobs, too bad. Apple doesn't do updates for older operating systems (except when threatened by lawsuits for security holes).

8> Good news! The smart folks at Apple have changed the way OS X counts and a story has been in the history books that is Wikipedia that gigabytes were never actually gigabytes; they were gibibytes all along. Retailers like to state big numbers and so now they can sell a 465GB drive as a 500GB drive without you wondering why it never appears as a 500GB drive in your OS because now it does! You'll THINK you have more hard drive space than you actually have and file sizes will differ from the source sites you download them from so you can wonder if you even have successful transfer. If you worry about how this might affect FTP, don't! Apple can remove all FTP and actual file size number display support in the next update so you wont' notice the file size discrepancies. They'll just put a % indicator on everything instead and you won't notice the difference. In fact, they might just tell you to buy a new hard drive (or better yet a new Mac) when your current drive is 25% full just so you don't have to worry about running out of space!

9> They've removed a lot of printer drivers some of you need to use your printer to save space. Why don't you just go buy a new printer already? They removed all PPC users (about 1/3 of the Mac users on the planet) for similar reasons. They saved a bit of space and with our new math in #8, it appears that they've saved even more to the untrained eye! Don't feel bad for those PPC users. They can give Apple a few thousand dollars for a new computer and then they too can feel the love of Operation Snow-Jobs.

10> They decided to give you Cisco VPN for free. Never mind that it simply doesn't work. Like all problems with OS X...It's not a bug! It's a FEATURE.

And just remember the BEST feature of all in OS X that it's had since mid-Tiger on Intel machines. You can always REBOOT INTO WINDOWS to solve most of your problems (like the comparable lack of software applications and games). Ok, so technically you're then not using OS X anymore and you're just another PC like in the commercials, but who cares!?! Apple already has your money and that's all that really matters anyway! You've still got that cool looking case with the big Apple symbol on it. That should be some small consolation to you. ;)

angorn
Aug 31, 2009, 01:43 PM
Wow, someone sounds bitter! :apple:

The sad thing is it's not that hard to write a REAL list....

TEN Reasons NOT Love Operation Snow-Jobs

1> Still doesn't support Blu-Ray. This has to be the one of the saddest things about OS X. It's supposed to be "state of the art" but it doesn't support the ONLY game in town for 1080P movies. Exactly how state-of-the-art does that make OS X look? It should have had BD *FIRST*, not following the leader of Windows. But when your company has a conflict of interest selling sub-DVD quality movies at high prices, you have little incentive to get with the times.

2> Despite a major OS number bump, only ONE GPU gets hardware accelerated video. Machines made even less than one year ago get no support here. Apple writes their own video drivers and apparently despite having over $24 BILLION in cash reserves, they cannot afford to hire enough programmers to get up-to-date modern GPU drivers that can compete effectively with Windows. Or maybe they just want you to buy a new computer every 6 months since that's their core profit maker? (i.e. MORE conflicts of interests; why update the software for older hardware which makes you no new money? Sure, it hurts your reputation, but who cares about that when the computer equivalent of groupies are your target market group? They don't care about features; they just worship Apple no matter what they do so long as they have cool looking stores and phones)

3> Quicktime X actually has LESS features than 7 Pro (and yes you ARE paying for it with that $29 upgrade fee so spare me the BS about getting some of the pro features for free)

4> Snow Leopard actually drops AFP support for connecting to OS9 Macs. They didn't need or have to do this, but again, it's all about trying to sell new hardware. Who cares if some people have applications they need OS9 to run and now they cannot make a network connection to modern Macs? They should get over it and replace those machines anyway. Apple needs more money and Steve might need another organ transplant so get to spending, people.

5> Games? We don't need no stinking games! Buy an iPod Touch instead! It's the funnest iPod ever. In fact, buy two or three since the older ones won't handle the latest features. Well, they CAN, but Apple will happily deny those features artificially so you HAVE to buy a new one. And if not, you can pay them $10 to get the latest software update. One way or the other, you're gonna pay Apple more money. Get used to it and just don't think about it. You'll be a zombie in no time. Repeat after Steve..."It has something to do with some tax code in Bolivia that says everyone else can give free software updates except Apple."

6> ZFS? What? You thought we'd have that in OS X by now? Ha ha ha ha ha. No, they'll save that for OS X version 10.9 in 2011. They'll get at least another two Macs and three software update fees out of you before then. Besides, we all know Apple doesn't have enough cash reserves to hire more programmers in order to implement these actual desirable features in a timely fashion and they simpy have to use most of the existing ones to keep the iPhone updates coming at a lightning pace.

7> Starting with Snow Leopard, bumping minor software updates up to major os revisions might now occur every six to nine months now. It's been decided if you want bug fixes, you should PAY for them. If you want bug fixes for Leopard and PPC machines that cannot run Operation Snow-Jobs, too bad. Apple doesn't do updates for older operating systems (except when threatened by lawsuits for security holes).

8> Good news! The smart folks at Apple have changed the way OS X counts and a story has been in the history books that is Wikipedia that gigabytes were never actually gigabytes; they were gibibytes all along. Retailers like to state big numbers and so now they can sell a 465GB drive as a 500GB drive without you wondering why it never appears as a 500GB drive in your OS because now it does! You'll THINK you have more hard drive space than you actually have and file sizes will differ from the source sites you download them from so you can wonder if you even have successful transfer. If you worry about how this might affect FTP, don't! Apple can remove all FTP and actual file size number display support in the next update so you wont' notice the file size discrepancies. They'll just put a % indicator on everything instead and you won't notice the difference. In fact, they might just tell you to buy a new hard drive (or better yet a new Mac) when your current drive is 25% full just so you don't have to worry about running out of space!

9> They've removed a lot of printer drivers some of you need to use your printer to save space. Why don't you just go buy a new printer already? They removed all PPC users (about 1/3 of the Mac users on the planet) for similar reasons. They saved a bit of space and with our new math in #8, it appears that they've saved even more to the untrained eye! Don't feel bad for those PPC users. They can give Apple a few thousand dollars for a new computer and then they too can feel the love of Operation Snow-Jobs.

10> They decided to give you Cisco VPN for free. Never mind that it simply doesn't work. Like all problems with OS X...It's not a bug! It's a FEATURE.

And just remember the BEST feature of all in OS X that it's had since mid-Tiger on Intel machines. You can always REBOOT INTO WINDOWS to solve most of your problems (like the comparable lack of software applications and games). Ok, so technically you're then not using OS X anymore and you're just another PC like in the commercials, but who cares!?! Apple already has your money and that's all that really matters anyway! You've still got that cool looking case with the big Apple symbol on it. That should be some small consolation to you. ;)

Shoesy
Aug 31, 2009, 01:43 PM
Can I have your;

15" Matte MBP 2.4GHz, 4GB/200GB, NVidia 8600M GT
and
2 ATV

(more!)

That you were suckered into buying? I think I could just about like them even after all those faults.

I can trade for an Acer? x

dwsolberg
Aug 31, 2009, 01:50 PM
I'm actually disappointed by Snow Leopard, particularly the lack of compatibility for my relatively new Dell laser printer. Also, Photoshop CS3 is much less stable than it was, and there are lots of weird graphics glitches and crashes. I'm glad Apple revamped the internals and developers have APIs for OpenCL and Grand Central, but I just don't feel like the system is dependable enough to use for any sort of work. I'm surprised Apple released this when they did, given that they had scheduled more time for the release and they certainly could have used that time.

I'm honestly don't expect to install Snow Leopard on my main computer anytime in the near future, which is a first for me, and I've installed 10.2, 10.3, 10.4, and 10.5 the day after they were released.

jodelli
Aug 31, 2009, 08:57 PM
In other news:
Apple still refuses to include 'humor genes' in any of it's official updates.

Indy Ahdon'tknow says "It's kinda pointless anyway, the wetware is incompatible in its 'nose turned upward' mode."

Mason Smells says "I never use that nose feature, it seems pointless". And he outta know.

Don Freaks: "Steve Jobs is dead set against 'humor genes'. Quoth the Maven, "It's a bag of hurt"."

In other related stories, the Mac 'fun guys' redoubled their efforts to stamp out name calling such as 'iTouch', 'White Book', etc.
Apple Stores report dropping inventories of keyboards due to the 'foaming at the fingers' issue.

DMann
Aug 31, 2009, 10:10 PM
Still doesn't support Blu-Ray. This has to be the one of the saddest things about OS X. It's supposed to be "state of the art" but it doesn't support the ONLY game in town for 1080P movies. Exactly how state-of-the-art does that make OS X look? It should have had BD *FIRST*, not following the leader of Windows. But when your company has a conflict of interest selling sub-DVD quality movies at high prices, you have little incentive to get with the times.

With September 9th around the corner, and iTunes 9 purportedly fortified with BD support, there's no need to dismiss the likelihood of true HD and BD support in the foreseeable future.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y246/vdubjetta/26765866.png

Despite a major OS number bump, only ONE GPU gets hardware accelerated video. Machines made even less than one year ago get no support here. Apple writes their own video drivers and apparently despite having over $24 BILLION in cash reserves, they cannot afford to hire enough programmers to get up-to-date modern GPU drivers that can compete effectively with Windows. Or maybe they just want you to buy a new computer every 6 months since that's their core profit maker? (i.e. MORE conflicts of interests; why update the software for older hardware which makes you no new money? Sure, it hurts your reputation, but who cares about that when the computer equivalent of groupies are your target market group? They don't care about features; they just worship Apple no matter what they do so long as they have cool looking stores and phones)Updates are imminent - new GPU drivers will actually surface before long.

Quicktime X actually has LESS features than 7 Pro (and yes you ARE paying for it with that $29 upgrade fee so spare me the BS about getting some of the pro features for free)This is likely the reason Q7 is bundled with SL. Perhaps the video editing software, included in SL, is more suitable for editing video than a dedicated media player ought to be, or ought to have been, in the first place.

ZFS? What? You thought we'd have that in OS X by now? Ha ha ha ha ha. No, they'll save that for OS X version 10.9 in 2011. They'll get at least another two Macs and three software update fees out of you before then. Besides, we all know Apple doesn't have enough cash reserves to hire more programmers in order to implement these actual desirable features in a timely fashion and they simpy have to use most of the existing ones to keep the iPhone updates coming at a lightning pace. WTF - agreed, I was really hoping for this, as it seemed ZFS was ready for full read/write in XServe. Hopefully it will make an appearance before 10.7

Good news! The smart folks at Apple have changed the way OS X counts and a story has been in the history books that is Wikipedia that gigabytes were never actually gigabytes; they were gibibytes all along. Retailers like to state big numbers and so now they can sell a 465GB drive as a 500GB drive without you wondering why it never appears as a 500GB drive in your OS because now it does! You'll THINK you have more hard drive space than you actually have and file sizes will differ from the source sites you download them from so you can wonder if you even have successful transfer. If you worry about how this might affect FTP, don't! Apple can remove all FTP and actual file size number display support in the next update so you wont' notice the file size discrepancies. They'll just put a % indicator on everything instead and you won't notice the difference. In fact, they might just tell you to buy a new hard drive (or better yet a new Mac) when your current drive is 25% full just so you don't have to worry about running out of space!This is not necessarily a bad thing when it comes to perception of getting what one pays for, in 'marketspeak' terms of gibibytes. Perhaps this will clarify things for consumers who complain about the discrepancies related to measurement of capacity. However, it would be best be given an option to choose which way to measure file sizes, for the very reason you mentioned.

And just remember the BEST feature of all in OS X that it's had since mid-Tiger on Intel machines. You can always REBOOT INTO WINDOWS to solve most of your problems (like the comparable lack of software applications and games). Ok, so technically you're then not using OS X anymore and you're just another PC like in the commercials, but who cares!?! Apple already has your money and that's all that really matters anyway! You've still got that cool looking case with the big Apple symbol on it. That should be some small consolation to you. ;)at the very least, a failsafe. (to boot)

MagnusVonMagnum
Sep 1, 2009, 12:57 AM
Can I have your;

15" Matte MBP 2.4GHz, 4GB/200GB, NVidia 8600M GT
and
2 ATV

(more!)

That you were suckered into buying? I think I could just about like them even after all those faults.

I can trade for an Acer? x

I thought I was talking about Snow Leopard, not my current hardware. I just personally think Snow Leopard is a bit of a sham and more of a way to ditch PPC users than anything else. It's both a non-major update and yet still a way to ditch almost 1/3 of all Mac users. Worse yet, the things it SHOULD have it does not, as indicated above and yet Apple likes to tell us that it is THE state-of-the-art operating system out there. I'd just like to know how they can say that when as of the release of Snow Leopard, it still cannot even so much as play a Blu-Ray movie, (or even DTS movie files without 3rd party support from things like Perian and DTS has been around since the mid-90s). Heck, even iTunes could NOT play Dolby Digital 5.1 files to external sound equipment until just recently (within the past year) due to a bug in Quicktime that took them forever to address. State-of-the-art means it does it FIRST. What was the last thing OS X did "first" with anything? Not having viruses alone does not make OS X the best operating system out there. Yes, it's nice, but it's also nice to be able to do the things you WANT to do without having to boot into someone else's operating system all the time.

Apple has shown time and time again that they do not CARE about supporting things like games for OS X as numerous companies that have requested more information or help with bringing more games to OS X routinely get ignored by Apple. Apparently, it all comes down to what one man has an INTEREST in and with Steve, it's not gaming (other than WoW apparently). Too bad for those that do not share Steve's EXACT interests because that is what gets priority at Apple.

I hate to say it, but Apple would be far better off without Steve at this stage in the game than with him because he's a total control freak that will not let his company do what it needs to do to really take on Microsoft and it's too bad because OS X has more potential than ANY other OS out there to do just that in a big way. I'm afraid that Apple may have squandered a golden opportunity that was Vista to more than double their market share. But instead, they chose to keep high prices, not focus on areas that would make OS X more directly competitive and basically milk existing users more than trying to attract more new ones with reasonably priced comparable machines that Microsoft is now having a field day attacking Apple with (and with good reason because it's pretty much true and the truth hurts).

So while I DO like OS X better than Vista, I'm not sure I'll continue to like the small update that is Snow Leopeard better than Windows 7 when it's released. And regardless, I've been keeping an XP machine around for PC gaming because the Mac just doesn't cut it there. As nice as my MBP is, it's still no match for a dedicated dekstop PC for gaming, even when it is running Windows and quite frankly I'm scared to push it too much what with the whole Nvidia 8600 chip issue that may or may not be an issue on my particular machine.

Other things about OS X software applications from Apple ARE annoying. Watching Final Cut Pro tank/freeze/crash OS X over a half dozen times at its price point is more than disappointing, for example. For all the crying about how awful blue screens of death are in Windows, I have to say that I've had more kernel panics and "freezes" on my two Macs than my "clone" PC running XP. Easily. I've had XP compressing my DVDs into MP4 for WEEKS on end without a single crash whereas my MBP crashes fairly often while doing things like editing large file VHS tapes into H264 MP4 format (and it has twice the ram of the PC at 4GB). XP is a fairly stable operating system these days (i.e. SP3) whereas OS X *SHOULD* be a MUCH MORE STABLE OS given its based on BSD. Unix is known for stability, but I don't care whether it's Tiger on my PPC (which IS the most stable version of OS X I've used, BTW; I'm now running Leopard on it and it crashes probably 40% more often than Tiger ever did) or Leopard on my MBP. They both crash and crash far more often than any Mac fan would have you believe they crash.

I decided to use a Mac as a server for my whole house audio/video system based on the premise at the time that it would be more stable than a Windows system running 24/7. I'm not sure at this point how true that is. It does often seem stable just serving files, but it's crashed numerous times if I go and do other things like Photoshop editing or browsing. It's hard to predict what will set off a kernel panic, really and often no indication of what it was (although I've learned by trial and error that Photoshop CS3 will eventually guarantee a freeze or panic if used too many hours without quitting/restarting (i.e. while scanning/editing my photo albums). There's obviously some kind of long term memory trashing going on there and OS X is failing to keep it under control despite memory protection). I'm not saying XP would do any better, necessarily, but I'm certainly not convinced it would do any worse.

Unix has not meant trouble free operation for OS X. What it makes up in one area, it seems to lose in another and Apple seems to have no desire to correct those deficiencies most of the time since they believe Steve's interests are the only thing that matter. Why listen to the customer when they're making money? Obviously, Steve knows better than the users that have complaints/suggestions/ideas/whatever. Otherwise, we would have had simple things like like the customizable finder columns issue addressed long ago (which ironically worked in former versions of the OS). They simply do not care unless half the Mac users population is screaming about it (like with the iPhone price drop thing).

But the worst part about the Mac Community in general is how you cannot make one negative point about Apple or the OS in general without being accused of being a bitter whiner or even a troll by the fanatics that think Steve can do no wrong. There's no point in "discussion", though if you only ever hear one side of the story and yet I'm hardly a fan of someone like Microsoft. But if Windows7 turns out to be the better operating system, I will be more likely to use it more often and/or make my next computer primarily if not completely a Windows7 machine. I can always keep an older Mac like this PPC one around for virus/worry free browsing the Internet. I've got three computers set up in my den already.

BaldiMac
Sep 1, 2009, 09:26 AM
Apple has shown time and time again that they do not CARE about supporting things like games for OS X as numerous companies that have requested more information or help with bringing more games to OS X routinely get ignored by Apple. Apparently, it all comes down to what one man has an INTEREST in and with Steve, it's not gaming (other than WoW apparently). Too bad for those that do not share Steve's EXACT interests because that is what gets priority at Apple.

I hate to say it, but Apple would be far better off without Steve at this stage in the game than with him because he's a total control freak that will not let his company do what it needs to do to really take on Microsoft and it's too bad because OS X has more potential than ANY other OS out there to do just that in a big way. I'm afraid that Apple may have squandered a golden opportunity that was Vista to more than double their market share. But instead, they chose to keep high prices, not focus on areas that would make OS X more directly competitive and basically milk existing users more than trying to attract more new ones with reasonably priced comparable machines that Microsoft is now having a field day attacking Apple with (and with good reason because it's pretty much true and the truth hurts).

MagnusVonMagnum, I hope I speak for all of MacRumors in thanking you for posting the fantastic information that you get as a member of Apple's inner circle as to how these decisions are made. If only Steve Jobs (I'm not on a first name basis like you!) would listen to your extremely logical counsel, Apple would be able to develop a huge cash stockpile and Jobs would be known as one of the best, if not the best, CEOs in the industry. I mean, Apple may be growing while Microsoft is posting a year over year loss, but Microsoft is having a field day taking it to Apple. A field day!

KyPosey
Sep 1, 2009, 09:37 AM
I got a good laugh out of that one.

MagnusVonMagnum
Sep 1, 2009, 11:11 PM
MagnusVonMagnum, I hope I speak for all of MacRumors in thanking you for posting the fantastic information that you get as a member of Apple's inner circle as to how these decisions are made. If only Steve Jobs (I'm not on a first name basis like you!) would listen to your extremely logical counsel, Apple would be able to develop a huge cash stockpile and Jobs would be known as one of the best, if not the best, CEOs in the industry. I mean, Apple may be growing while Microsoft is posting a year over year loss, but Microsoft is having a field day taking it to Apple. A field day!

It's a little hard to take anything someone says seriously when it's just flat out false. You say Microsoft is posting year "over" year loss, but it's simply not true.

For 2008, it looks like they averaged around 46-50 cents per share profit. Given their shares are a fraction of what Apple's shares were just before the start of 2008 (pushing $200), that translates to around $2-3 per share for the equivalent Apple investment given Apple's shares were around 6x higher at the time and then TANKED to less than half their value (dropping from a high around $200 per share to the $70 share range). So unless you got out before Apple stock dropped (during record profits no less), you lost a lot of investment value very quickly. Microsoft stock dropped in early 2009 to around $16 a share but has bounced back up to the $24 range and given its high was only around $37 in the past two years, it is comparable to what happened with Apple's own stock being cut in two and like Apple much of that ground has been gained back. The difference is that Apple's stock tanked during record profits (a year earlier), making them unpredictable while Microsoft's tanked during the recession that hurt most companies. Apple's stock is therefore much more volatile. Unlike Apple, Microsoft has NEVER been in danger of going out of business in the past 20 years.

For 2009, Microsoft lost business relative to its previous history, but it STILL made 33 cents per share thus far which is still PROFIT. At $24 a share, you could have roughly 5x the stock as Apple right now which would net you around $1.65 per relative share of Apple stock, which WITH record profits, netted $1.79 per share. So yes, Apple was the better money maker this year so far, but given its relative volatility DURING profits (panicky shareholders causing drops due to realizing that the stock is way overvalued?), it's also more risky. But regardless, you apparently cannot tell the difference between losing money and making money. Maybe you should stay out of stock trading altogether and perhaps making sarcastic comments when you have no clue what you're talking about should be avoided in the future.

Eidorian
Sep 1, 2009, 11:26 PM
Updates are imminent - new GPU drivers will actually surface before long.Keep hoping. Apple can't seem to afford the programmers to support all of their hardware models. :rolleyes:

I just hope they fix my browser issues. Why did my clean install fail so hard vs. the upgrade? That makes no sense to me.

Konrad
Sep 1, 2009, 11:51 PM
I would have to agree about the comment pertaining to the now strange and often pompous smell within the hard core mac community. Just like Steve The Liver, people can no longer assume a position closer to humor and all is dead serious and dangerously religious. Significant portion of the fanatics will never admit, nor understand that Steve for sometime now is a militant, calculated cold and very greedy man. The above aspects are today in direct conflict with the old public perception of the romantic free-spirited Apple. The iPhone is constantly disarmed by Ukrainian kids, the device is local and has little to do with making the world a better place or greener for that matter by forcing you to buy a new PB in order to hook up an Apple display, exactly where Steve is very well aware of the fact that most of the mac people will just upgrade. Apple with its resources could easily incorporate modular cabling assemblies making interconnectivity within generations a breeze, but it is not in the interest of our beloved vegan. It is now rather black than green. I don't have an iPhone, but I wonder what happens once you land in Split.

Axis has a wonderful megapixel camera, fantastic 800 area code engineering support willing to spend all time necessary with a $399 customers setting up their unit(s) for the first time and here would be a solid idea for Apple to develop a robust and dynamic software, sell with Axis tons of IP cameras, relieve the 800 number in MA and give us a new real product rather then feed us with stupid gadgetry.

Some of you miss BD, but it is pointless. It is like saying I miss SACD on an iPod.

I also miss Tower Records. Thanks Steve for isolating millions of people from each other by using two silly plugs. Wonderful.

BaldiMac
Sep 2, 2009, 08:28 AM
It's a little hard to take anything someone says seriously when it's just flat out false. You say Microsoft is posting year "over" year loss, but it's simply not true.

For 2008, it looks like they averaged around 46-50 cents per share profit. Given their shares are a fraction of what Apple's shares were just before the start of 2008 (pushing $200), that translates to around $2-3 per share for the equivalent Apple investment given Apple's shares were around 6x higher at the time and then TANKED to less than half their value (dropping from a high around $200 per share to the $70 share range). So unless you got out before Apple stock dropped (during record profits no less), you lost a lot of investment value very quickly. Microsoft stock dropped in early 2009 to around $16 a share but has bounced back up to the $24 range and given its high was only around $37 in the past two years, it is comparable to what happened with Apple's own stock being cut in two and like Apple much of that ground has been gained back. The difference is that Apple's stock tanked during record profits (a year earlier), making them unpredictable while Microsoft's tanked during the recession that hurt most companies. Apple's stock is therefore much more volatile. Unlike Apple, Microsoft has NEVER been in danger of going out of business in the past 20 years.

For 2009, Microsoft lost business relative to its previous history, but it STILL made 33 cents per share thus far which is still PROFIT. At $24 a share, you could have roughly 5x the stock as Apple right now which would net you around $1.65 per relative share of Apple stock, which WITH record profits, netted $1.79 per share. So yes, Apple was the better money maker this year so far, but given its relative volatility DURING profits (panicky shareholders causing drops due to realizing that the stock is way overvalued?), it's also more risky. But regardless, you apparently cannot tell the difference between losing money and making money. Maybe you should stay out of stock trading altogether and perhaps making sarcastic comments when you have no clue what you're talking about should be avoided in the future.

It's all about context. "Year over year (YOY)" is a investment term indicating a annualized comparison to a specific time period such as a month, quarter, or year. It's obvious that I was comparing growth. Apple increased revenue from the year ago quarter. Microsoft had a decline in revenue from the year ago quarter (aka a YOY loss in revenue).

http://www.microsoft.com/msft/earnings/FY09/earn_rel_q3_09.mspx

You probably already knew that and just chose to argue semantics and go off on a tangential rant about which company is the better investment, so you can try and hide the fact that you have no point.

BaldiMac
Sep 2, 2009, 08:38 AM

It is ironic that you called the only factually truthful statement in my post "flat out false" and "simply not true". :D

windywoo
Sep 2, 2009, 08:52 AM
A joke at Mac users expense! It can't be very funny! If the list had been for Windows 7 you would all be going "Great article".

http://www.westernstageprops.com/miva/graphics/00000001/pm56lr.jpg

Open your tiny minds a little.

surferfromuk
Sep 2, 2009, 06:41 PM
WHEN will Windows people LEARN!

Mac is NOT Windows.

Long and difficult consideration is made at Apple about actually taking things out as much as they are about putting new things in.

Apple intentionally drops things to make way for new things and to de-clutter the OS - a bit like clearing out the garage. They do not leave anything and everything that was ever coded in for all time.

That's Apple's philosophy and it's something Windows users and marketeers deliberately try and 'twist' into a negative - this distorted idea that more is more. It is not.

Leaving crap out is what makes Apple products so great. I know it's a hard concept to get your head around but please try...

Snow Leopard is a mature refined operating system.

Konrad
Sep 2, 2009, 08:22 PM
LOL. I do not want to be cynical, but how can anyone love a...product? I love my women but certainly not my mac, nor my car, nor my vacuum cleaner...

Dr.Pants
Sep 2, 2009, 08:41 PM
Wow.

Just wow.

Well, all I can say is, "if you want the features, pick the OS". Want MacOS, go ahead; one shouldn't complain at a lack of features that one wants. For that, Windows, Linux, and Solaris are all viable alternatives should somebody not want OSX. And if somebody REALLY WANTS OSX SO BAD THEY CAN'T TAKE IT, its called a Virtual Machine.

Magnus Von Magnum can be upset, at least he was posting paragraphs for his temper; however....

The article is a load of fail, in my opinion.

NoSmokingBandit
Sep 2, 2009, 08:44 PM
The rabid fanboys in this thread are 10 times as funny as the article. Give it a rest fellows, its a joke. Go grab a beer and just relax.

ae3265
Sep 2, 2009, 11:32 PM
Apple intentionally drops things to make way for new things and to de-clutter the OS - a bit like clearing out the garage. They do not leave anything and everything that was ever coded in for all time.

That's Apple's philosophy and it's something Windows users and marketeers deliberately try and 'twist' into a negative - this distorted idea that more is more. It is not.

Leaving crap out is what makes Apple products so great. I know it's a hard concept to get your head around but please try...

Solaris is a mature and refined OS. It's pretty neat that I can take programs compiled for Solaris 8 and run them in 10. Sun's binary compatibility is a pretty neat thing.

Now, as much as I enjoy my macs, and OSX is a decent enough OS, Apple does have the annoying habit of breaking a lot of stuff between versions. I'd have to say they are probably worse at that than even MS. Which is sad, because for the most part, OSX is, IMO, a better OS.

But, it's that pain-in-the-rear throwing out the baby with the bath water...okay, let's just drop UFS, let's just force the switch to OpenDS, and so many other little OS changes that break so many things that's got me just waiting until the vendors of the various software I use can get caught up. And I can take the time to deal with the absolute headache of switching over.

Yeah, I'm all in favor of cleaning out the cruft when it needs to go. But, Apple's priorities just confound me. Oh, but they'll stick with an old, buggy version of samba (in 10.5 at least). For crying out loud...

Apple could do a better job of maintaining some compatibility with earlier releases. Sun managed to figure that out a long time ago...

Konrad
Sep 3, 2009, 12:14 AM
I wonder what would best describe Steve's The Liver sense of humor. Today I heard a good one when pulled over by an NSDAP look alike California policeman. Upon presenting him with requested documents he asked me with a dominant tone "Sir, where are you going?". LOL. Hi Steve!

rekhyt
Sep 3, 2009, 02:26 AM
At first, I was actually expecting to see a serious list. (Would be nice to have as a reference to send to people who still aren't sure what they get out of upgrading today, vs. waiting....)

That doesn't come across to me as humorous at all. It sounds more "anti-Mac" than anything else.

(Really? Cyberduck doesn't work, so that's a good thing since you won't waste time FTPing anything? Oh yeah, I'm laughing out loud at that joke. SO FUNNY....)

The mere fact that OS X Leopard is still for sale (and still the only OS option currently sold for PPC Macs) should tell people that Snow Leopard isn't supposed to be a huge upgrade. (If that wasn't a clue, the $30 price tag should have been.) It's exactly what it was meant to be, though.... a better Leopard for people with newer Intel processors and more recent graphics cards, who can squeeze more performance out of those items with the right OS, designed to be aware of them.

I was expecting somethign too. :\ So Snow Leopard is basically useless? Anyways I'm going to switch to Snow Leopard soon because I have this weird error in Finder on Leopard.

Konrad
Sep 3, 2009, 09:14 AM
Where does Stevo come up with these names anyway? Leopard, Jaguar....why not give sexy female names instead? Now we have snow? Where is it snowing? Perhaps the next one will be a tropical shark? Or is this suppose it to make Steve's game greener? LOL

LEStudios
Sep 4, 2009, 08:42 AM
Reason 11: It's not Windows 7ista.

Should have done the Top 10 Reason for Vista instead of Snow Leopard! :mad:

sunfast
Sep 4, 2009, 10:21 AM
Repeat after Steve..."It has something to do with some tax code in Bolivia that says everyone else can give free software updates except Apple."

Hilarious :)

DMann
Sep 4, 2009, 01:01 PM
Should have done the Top 10 Reason for Vista instead of Snow Leopard! :mad:That, however, would have increased the number to the Top 50 Reasons to upgrade to Vista.

Konrad
Sep 5, 2009, 10:39 AM
"WHEN will Windows people LEARN!
Mac is NOT Windows.

Long and difficult consideration is made at Apple about actually taking things out as much as they are about putting new things in.

That's Apple's philosophy and it's something Windows users and marketeers deliberately try and 'twist' into a negative - this distorted idea that more is more. It is not....Leaving crap out is what makes Apple products so great. I know it's a hard concept to get your head around but please try...

Snow Leopard is a mature refined operating system...
Why do I love Apple - Simple. They make products that enhance my life in a positive way"

- Hahahahahaha...Best one yet. Hahahahaaaaa....this one is a keeper....hahahaha

cjmillsnun
Sep 5, 2009, 11:46 AM
OK I agree Snow Leopard on the face of it didn't look much different and abandoned PPC.

But FFS guys, Leopard is still actively supported and is still for sale, SL is £25 ($30US)

If you don't like it, chalk it up to experience and move on. Life's too short.

pestbest
Sep 5, 2009, 10:04 PM

Mac is NOT Windows.

And how do you know that? Did Steve Jobs tell you that they make a long and difficult consideration? We know you love Apple and Steve Jobs but no one wants distorted ideas.

MagnusVonMagnum, No one cares about your biased ideas either. However, at least you had some truth in what you said instead of this idiot.

Konrad
Sep 5, 2009, 10:50 PM
I have experienced today negative enhancement to my life. I drank too much last night...LOL

surferfromuk
Sep 6, 2009, 03:57 AM
And how do you know that? Did Steve Jobs tell you that they make a long and difficult consideration? We know you love Apple and Steve Jobs but no one wants distorted ideas.

MagnusVonMagnum, No one cares about your biased ideas either. However, at least you had some truth in what you said instead of this idiot.

It's starting to get REALLY tedious defending Apple differences in Apple forums because of you idiots.

I remember in the mid to late 90's when Apple started to decline it was a real drag continuously defending Apple against Windows massive overwhelming majority. There were no ipods or iphones then - just lousy beige buggy Macs - it wasn't even worth defending actually but the idea of Apple was. That's where 'the misfits, the rebels' idea came from. Those people are long gone now I feel.

In the end the Apple faithful just gave up - commerce won out- and Apple were days from bankruptcy - it was basically over.

Jobs & Microsoft jumped in (were brought in?) to bail them out knowing that without Apple Microsoft WOULD get split up by the monopolies commission.

We'll it's started again, only this time Windows lovers are all over these Apple forums selling Windows. I can see Apple's slow decline starting again already and the apathy is starting again in Apple users. I really believe the shine is off and that perhaps Microsoft may have even created an acceptable alternative to OSX with Windows 7.

So yes guys we know Windows is 98% of the world desktop OS market share and yes it is 'the best' and yes we know that's NEVER going to change, but we choose something else - and that's it. Really, we get it - we don't discuss Apple in front of you anymore - we know you don't like it.

Sooner Apple drops the 'I'm a Mac, I'm a PC' ads the better I say. It's just unnecessarily divisive - bring back the misfits - it IS ok to be different in this world of same. Apple actually doesn't have to be the best or at least perfect - it's really not that important.

P.S Konrad : I use Apple for Final Cut Studio - this is how it enhances my life - please don't attack people's personal lives if you can avoid it..

ob81
Sep 6, 2009, 08:37 AM
Marked as humor.

I liked the article. It is always good to take a break from being on the bandwagon. For normal users, the update really doesn't do much. Especially early since it breaks perfectly good functioning apps. Over time it will be tweaked, and problems will be fixed.

I don't think it is anti-apple at all.

Konrad
Sep 6, 2009, 11:14 AM
Surf's up in the UK! The idiots are attacking life's enhancements. Hey, I discovered to have a full drawer of unused apple stickers from decades of supporting Steve's decaying liver... surfer, do you want them? LOL You could enhance your board?

Ramius
Sep 6, 2009, 02:07 PM
I think everyone needs to seriously get over themselves with Snow Leopard. It's the worst update ever. It's supposed to be a new OS and it's not.

Theres is virtually nothing new. If anyone reading this is thinking about buying Snow Leopard, when you have Leopard - DONT BOTHER!

The speed is just overrated and ********. You don't notice it. Theres nothing new about the look. Nothing you notice.
Some programs even loads SLOWER than before.
And like I posted in my other topic, it wastes more battery on my Macbook than Leopard did.
Automator is not any better, because it's still impossible to understand how to use.

There are only two things thats worth it. The new Quicktime X, lets you edit guys out of porn clips. And theres some new cool backgrounds. You decide if you want to waste cash on that!

Leopard was the best upgrade. Snow Leopard is a scam in disguise.

clevin
Sep 6, 2009, 02:50 PM

Im sure when leopard was out, you idea of "refine" was different?

stop bs statement for a change, please. you can just list "apple can never be wrong" as your top reason! maybe fanbyish, but at least honest.

surferfromuk
Sep 6, 2009, 06:26 PM
Im sure when leopard was out, you idea of "refine" was different?

stop bs statement for a change, please. you can just list "apple can never be wrong" as your top reason! maybe fanbyish, but at least honest.

I'm running FCS3 on SL and I've not had a single issue. Works just like FCS2 on Leopard ;)

surferfromuk
Sep 6, 2009, 06:29 PM
Surf's up in the UK! The idiots are attacking life's enhancements. Hey, I discovered to have a full drawer of unused apple stickers from decades of supporting Steve's decaying liver... surfer, do you want them? LOL You could enhance your board?

There comes a time in life when you must decide what kind of man you are going to be when you grow up.

May I offer you a glimpse of that man ;

http://www.hwdyk.com/q/quizimage/pullmanpaxton.jpg

MagnusVonMagnum
Sep 7, 2009, 11:56 PM

Well, you know what they say about opinions....