Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lozanoj83

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2006
Southern California
Im not sure if this thread should even be up in the first place, but since there are 4 massive wildfires here in the Southland (California) and well many of us on this forum are from SoCal maybe we could post up pictures from the fire, or the look from your house for others to see.

Picture was taken 30 miles away on the 105 freeway... scary site really

Attachments

• IMG_0453.JPG
    IMG_0453.JPG
    980.5 KB · Views: 127

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Im not sure if this thread should even be up in the first place, but since there are 4 massive wildfires here in the Southland (California) and well many of us on this forum are from SoCal maybe we could post up pictures from the fire, or the look from your house for others to see.

Picture was taken 30 miles away on the 105 freeway... scary site really

Imperial Freeway, right?

I thought they said that one of the fires is down by Palos Verdes? Isn't that the peninsula south of Torrance/West of Long Beach? If so, shouldn't there be some crazy stuff happening that way?

What sucks even more is that all of the smoke and ashes are coming up the corridor to Vegas.

Then again, I shouldn't really worry; I have my own fire to deal with up here in Auburn (Sacramento).

BL.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
I got some pics from yesterday, crazy stuff.
At first it kinda looked to me like some nuke exploded in L.a (i know right lol)

Taken on the 101:

photo1pfm.jpg

photo3x.jpg

photo2msj.jpg

photoryu.jpg

lozanoj83

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2006
Southern California
Imperial Freeway, right?

I thought they said that one of the fires is down by Palos Verdes? Isn't that the peninsula south of Torrance/West of Long Beach? If so, shouldn't there be some crazy stuff happening that way?

What sucks even more is that all of the smoke and ashes are coming up the corridor to Vegas.

Then again, I shouldn't really worry; I have my own fire to deal with up here in Auburn (Sacramento).

BL.

yeah the Palos Verdes one is fully contained... so nothing there not except for burnt brushes and stuff.. and well the ashes and smoke is going directly to Palmdale, so air quality is worse.

What's worse is that 2 firemen have already died fighting the flames, hopefully full containment will come soon but its only @ 5% right now

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
yeah the Palos Verdes one is fully contained... so nothing there not except for burnt brushes and stuff.. and well the ashes and smoke is going directly to Palmdale, so air quality is worse.

What's worse is that 2 firemen have already died fighting the flames, hopefully full containment will come soon but its only @ 5% right now

Heard about that one just an hour ago in the hourly NPR news bump. What's worse is that it's going up both sides of that mountain down there where all of the radio and news station antennas are. Their current backups are to either switch to satellite, or stream everything through the internet. And that's LOT of radio stations! :eek:

BL.

lozanoj83

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2006
Southern California
Heard about that one just an hour ago in the hourly NPR news bump. What's worse is that it's going up both sides of that mountain down there where all of the radio and news station antennas are. Their current backups are to either switch to satellite, or stream everything through the internet. And that's LOT of radio stations! :eek:

BL.

Yeah basically it's going up Mt. Wilson were you have telecommunication antrnnas, radio as well and an astronomy hub. Firefighters basically put fire retardent and got out because there is nothing much they can do. If the fires do bring down the antenas at Mt. Wilson, majority of th LA/San Bernandino area will be without over the air transmissions and loss of FM radio. What worse is that it can disrupt emergency fire personal communications...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.