Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Locker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
Staffordshire, UK
After upgrading to Snow Leopard (erase & install), I installed the Snow Leopard compatible iPhone SDK 3.0. Then I realised I hadn't installed Xcode, so I installed that off the Snow Leopard disk.

Now, everything seems to be working fine, apart from I can only build apps for 3.0. I'd like to be able to build for every version from 2.0 up. Any idea how I'd be able to do that?

Help would be much appreciated :)

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
When you installed the SDK was there an option to customise the install? If so did you use it? The older 2.x SDKs may have become optional installs. You can run the installer again and see...

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
I haven't installed SL yet but there's been a lot of discussion of this on the Apple iPhone forum and this is what I've deduced. They removed the ability to test on 2.x in the SL install. You can build for 2.x by setting the deployment target of your project and you could transfer your app to a 2.x device and test it by ad hoc.

Also, the older versions of Xcode and the SDK should work on SL. However apple doesn't support this. What one apple employee said was that they didn't do anything to prevent the older SDKs from working on SL but they didn't validate them on SL.

In general this does suck.

nottooshabby

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
I haven't installed SL yet but there's been a lot of discussion of this on the Apple iPhone forum and this is what I've deduced. They removed the ability to test on 2.x in the SL install. You can build for 2.x by setting the deployment target of your project and you could transfer your app to a 2.x device and test it by ad hoc.

Also, the older versions of Xcode and the SDK should work on SL. However apple doesn't support this. What one apple employee said was that they didn't do anything to prevent the older SDKs from working on SL but they didn't validate them on SL.

In general this does suck.

This is what I gathered as well. If you still want to easily support 2.x iPhone OS, stick with Leopard for a while. I wish we could get an estimate of the penetration rate of 3.0 on iPhone OS devices. This $10 upgrade charge for iPod touch users is a real PITA for developers since it slows the adoption rate...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.