PDA

View Full Version : Dell puts $100 bounty on iPods

MacBytes
Jun 30, 2004, 02:30 PM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Dell puts $100 bounty on iPods (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040630153054)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

smegdude
Jun 30, 2004, 02:55 PM
dell seems to have found a good way to identify the insane. Who in their right mind would take up this offer???

cabes
Jun 30, 2004, 02:58 PM
dell seems to have found a good way to identify the insane. Who in their right mind would take up this offer???

ME ME ME!!! Wait a sec... umm NO. That's the dumbest thing I've heard of... who in their right mind would want one of those??? The iPOD (IMO) is the best product out there, plus iTunes, and (almost) now AirPort Express.... enough said.

slipper
Jun 30, 2004, 03:01 PM
what are they gonna do, resell the iPods on ebay for a profit??

spaz
Jun 30, 2004, 03:26 PM
an innovative plan, yes, but... this offer is going to be taken up by those for whom all of the following is true:

1. they have to be tired of / unhappy with their iPod (i don't know anyone in this group)
2. they have to be SO unhappy with their iPod as to want a different brand of player instead of a new, up to date iPod. (again, don't know anyone here)
3. they have to be willing to essentially dump any tracks they've burned in AAC, including any they've paid for from the iTunes music store (not very much of a plus in my book)

and, here's the kicker:
4. they have to think the Dell is a nice looking mp3 player.

:confused:

i REALLY think this is gonna fly. </sarcasm>

the_mole1314
Jun 30, 2004, 03:31 PM
Lets sell them broken iPods we own, just to make them regret this whole decision... teheheheheh :p

pumpkinapo
Jun 30, 2004, 03:33 PM
Hmm... I don't see it saying anywhere that the iPod has to work... so I wonder if I could buy one... send in for the rebate and send in the old broken iPod... then e-bay the DJ to get money to replace the broken iPod.

PlaceofDis
Jun 30, 2004, 03:33 PM
is dell getting....Desperate?.....when it comes to this area i think so, they know that they cant compete against the iPod so they are trying this, i wonder what will happen when this doesnt work.....

Photorun
Jun 30, 2004, 03:48 PM
[points at Michael Dell] Hahh Hahhhh

If you can't beat the competition I guess he figures he can through money at people, clearly showing that f***tard doesn't get it.

winmacguy
Jun 30, 2004, 04:05 PM
they will probably pick up a few disatisfied iPod customers who are not particularly fussed about their iPods but I would imagine that number would be pretty minute.

Sun Baked
Jun 30, 2004, 04:11 PM
I wonder if this includes broken iPods in need of recycling. ;)

macridah
Jun 30, 2004, 04:42 PM
dell needs to hire some real marketing people. If anything, this is bad marketing. This just shows that dell needs to practically beg people to buy there jukebox.

Someone should do the same deal for their POS laptops. everyone I know, i mean everyone, that owns a dell, has something break ... cd-roms, batteries, hard drives.

a lot of people won't give up ipods because then they wouldn't be able to use the itunes music store ... so give up dell.

zuggerat
Jun 30, 2004, 05:48 PM
9,000 songs is a load of crap i went to the dell site and looked at the fine print and it's 9000 songs at 64 kbps, thats TERRIBLE quality... who listens to songs that are even less than 160 now a days???? i try to get at least 192 mp3 and 128 AAC. Yet again, dell is spewing useless trash across the internet.

Sabbath
Jun 30, 2004, 05:58 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if broken 1st gen mac only iPods sell for more than $100. Who on earth would take up this offer its just crazy. A win-win situation for dell, preying on the stupidity of their customers and the way their superior competitor holds its value.

Lancetx
Jun 30, 2004, 06:15 PM
Thanks Michael Dell, seriously. I haven't had that good of a laugh in quite a long time. :D

RealityMonster
Jun 30, 2004, 06:23 PM
1. they have to be tired of / unhappy with their iPod (i don't know anyone in this group)
2. they have to be SO unhappy with their iPod as to want a different brand of player instead of a new, up to date iPod. (again, don't know anyone here)
3. they have to be willing to essentially dump any tracks they've burned in AAC, including any they've paid for from the iTunes music store (not very much of a plus in my book)

I think the REAL kicker, actually, is that they'd have to be sufficiently stupid that they didn't realize that they could sell their iPod on eBay for more. The people that this would make the MOST sense for is people that want to buy a new iPod because they've got a 1st gen one. They could get $100 for it, then sell the DJ on eBay, and have enough money for most of a new iPod.

FightTheFuture
Jun 30, 2004, 08:49 PM
The people that this would make the MOST sense for is people that want to buy a new iPod because they've got a 1st gen one. They could get $100 for it, then sell the DJ on eBay, and have enough money for most of a new iPod.

this is actually a pretty good idea as a 1st gen ipod user. get the dell dj (http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=DJSTD15&c=us&l=en&cs=04&category_id=5906&page=external) for $199, send in my old 5gigger to get the $100, sell the dj for a little under $199 on eBay (http://search.ebay.com/dell-dj_W0QQsokeywordredirectZ1QQfromZR8) then you have $300 for an older 10 gig (http://www.smalldog.com/product/12652184) or a new mini (http://www.smalldog.com/product/46489). and the only loss is $99 and shipping costs to dell, to the eBay winner. i'm seriously thinking about doing this now.

i mean, if i sold the old ipod on eBay it would only get between $50-70 max. this way, i would only pay $99 for an upgrade. the only problem i have with this is the whole mail-in rebate form. it may take too long to get your $100 back.

themadchemist
Jun 30, 2004, 09:23 PM
Dell says its 15GB and 20GB players can hold more than 7,000 and 9,000 songs, respectively, while Apple says its 15GB and 20GB iPods can hold 3,700 and 5,000 songs.

Why was this sentence written? WHY?! Does the author not actually understand anything about sound file size? Excuse me, this has nothing to do with sound file size or even technology; this is purely common sense. I'm tired of hearing this silly argument about the "number of songs" that a certain player can hold...Yeah, that's a real contender to be an SI unit if I've ever seen one. I need not expound in this forum of intelligent human beings the vast variability of both song length and sound quality, which patently affect file size. I did not think such exposition was required in any forum with sentient individuals.

Guess what folks. My 16 meg pocket USB drive can hold ~16,000,000 songs*!

*Estimate of 16,000,000 songs assumes file size of ~1 kilobyte (KB) per song.

chabig
Jun 30, 2004, 09:24 PM
...sell the dj for a little under $199 on ebay...

Yeah, but the Dell retails for $199 so you won't get that much on eBay. They are selling there for about $150 which makes the whole idea kind of pointless. You'll lose on shipping and eBay charges.

Chris

autrefois
Jun 30, 2004, 09:50 PM
They're trying to get as many iPods as possible to dissect them and copy them.

They'd buy their own iPods, but their Jukebox division is strapped for cash, due to a lack of sales.

Or maybe they actually just want to have the iPods for personal use. :D

Nermal
Jun 30, 2004, 11:24 PM
Guess what folks? My 16 meg pocket USB drive can hold ~16,000,000 songs*!

You're so lucky, mine can only hold half a song :(

I use Apple Lossless :D

chv400
Jun 30, 2004, 11:25 PM
Why was this sentence written? WHY?! Does the author not actually understand anything about sound file size? Excuse me, this has nothing to do with sound file size or even technology; this is purely common sense. I'm tired of hearing this silly argument about the "number of songs" that a certain player can hold...Yeah, that's a real contender to be an SI unit if I've ever seen one. I need not expound in this forum of intelligent human beings the vast variability of both song length and sound quality, which patently affect file size. I did not think such exposition was required in any forum with sentient individuals.

Guess what folks? My 16 meg pocket USB drive can hold ~16,000,000 songs*!

*Estimate of 16,000,000 songs assumes file size of ~1 kilobyte (KB) per song.

Isn't midi wonderful

sjk
Jun 30, 2004, 11:40 PM
I'm tired of hearing this silly argument about the "number of songs" that a certain player can hold...I'm tired of all that kind of dumbed-down "infotising" that seems targeted exclusively for uneducated potential consumers. :rolleyes:

whooleytoo
Jul 1, 2004, 05:21 AM
Step 1) Buy iPod, and enjoy - until it dies.
Step 2) Give dead iPod to Dell, with $99 and get their Jukebox thingie.
Step 3) Sell Jukebox thingie to someone (who doesn't have an iPod to trade in) for $140 or $150, saving them 50-60 dollars.
Step 4) Look around for someone who's selling an old, dead iPod and hasn't heard of this offer. Buy for less than 50 or 60 dollars.
Step 5) Repeat, until you have money for a new, working iPod.

;)

iMeowbot
Jul 1, 2004, 06:19 AM
I think it's really aimed at people who don't have iPods to trade in, who don't really know much about them but the name. With this promotion, Dell get to imply that their competition is something regretful owners would happily dump for a fraction of the original price, rather than settle for a complete loss. It's sort of clever, in a way.

mattthemutt
Jul 1, 2004, 10:10 AM
I'm a proud iPod owner, but what is it that is so bad about the DJ? The features look ok, but I don't think I'd want one. Battery life is better than the iPod and it uhh....ok I've lost my point.

shamino
Jul 1, 2004, 10:59 AM
Isn't midi wonderful
More seriously, I would love a plugin for QuickTime and/or iTunes to allow me to play MOD files. I've got a huge pile of these and I need to launch a special-purpose player for them.

The ability to load these into an iPod without first converting them to MP3/AAC format (simultaneously bloating the size and hurting the sound quality) would be wonderful.

spaz
Jul 1, 2004, 11:14 AM
I think it's really aimed at people who don't have iPods to trade in, who don't really know much about them but the name. With this promotion, Dell get to imply that their competition is something regretful owners would happily dump for a fraction of the original price, rather than settle for a complete loss. It's sort of clever, in a way.

i agree that it's a clever ploy, propaganda-wise. they position themselves as a "relief agency" for weary iPod owners :rolleyes: and if nothing else they just get a bunch of free publicity for associating themselves with an iPod, which everybody knows. i mean how often do you actually hear someone say the words "Dell DJ Jukebox" otherwise?

whooleytoo
Jul 1, 2004, 11:27 AM
i agree that it's a clever ploy, propaganda-wise. they position themselves as a "relief agency" for weary iPod owners :rolleyes: and if nothing else they just get a bunch of free publicity for associating themselves with an iPod, which everybody knows. i mean how often do you actually hear someone say the words "Dell DJ Jukebox" otherwise?

So Apple should run an equivalent promotion - bring in your existing (non iPod) music player, and get a 10 dollar rebate!

That should reinforce the point iPod <-> Quality, Others <-> Cheap Rubbish.
;)

No need to mention Dell by name, why give them any more free publicity?

themadchemist
Jul 1, 2004, 01:02 PM
I'm tired of all that kind of dumbed-down "infotising" that seems targeted exclusively for uneducated potential consumers. :rolleyes:

=95% of tech-related journalism.

FunkyGuitarGirl
Jul 1, 2004, 01:25 PM
Frankly, I think the stoner-esque "Dude, you're getting a Dell" dude came up with this campaign.

debo
Jul 1, 2004, 02:25 PM
You can remove the esque from "stoner-esque" and just put plain old stoner. The guy got busted for pot.

Darwin
Jul 1, 2004, 04:34 PM
Well done Dell, this certainly is "A Deal that Rocks" :D :p