PDA

View Full Version : 'Grand Theft Auto' Franchise Coming to iPhone

neiltc13
Aug 31, 2009, 10:51 AM
Rockstar Games just announced that Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars will be released for iPhone and iPod touch later this year. No screenshots have been released, but the game is being developed by Rockstar Leeds and will be available in the fall.

The game was released for Nintendo DS earlier this year and is currently the console's highest rated game according to Metacritic. A PSP version will arrive at around the same time as the iPhone version.

When released on the App Store, the game will face some competition similar titles like Payback, Gangstar: West Coast Hustle and Car Jack Streets. GTAGaming covered Car Jack Streets a few months ago when it was released by Tag Games, a company founded in the same city as DMA Design/Rockstar North.

http://www.gtagaming.com/news/comments.php?i=1676

This is very interesting - the fastest selling console game on iPhone. And in my opinion it's the best version since Vice City. Can't wait!

mattpreston11
Aug 31, 2009, 11:45 AM
wonder how much ti will be.

str1f3
Aug 31, 2009, 12:13 PM
Meh. This is not traditional GTA. It has an overhead view similar to the old GTAs. It's nice to see Rockstar take interest in the platform.

neiltc13
Aug 31, 2009, 12:17 PM
Meh. This is not traditional GTA. It has an overhead view similar to the old GTAs. It's nice to see Rockstar take interest in the platform.

It's not traditional because it contains one of the features which made the series so popular? :confused:

Anyway, it's easily the best GTA game since Vice City. There's so much to do, an amazingly detailed city and a return to the cartoon style graphics which made GTA GTA.

Kahnyl
Aug 31, 2009, 12:28 PM
You do you care so much about a game you've obviously already played?

Sky Blue
Aug 31, 2009, 12:30 PM
You do you care so much about a game you've obviously already played?

Again in English?

Kahnyl
Aug 31, 2009, 12:32 PM
That was English, just not very well structured English.

"Why do you care so much about a game you've obviously already played?"

Unspoken Demise
Aug 31, 2009, 12:37 PM
That was English, just not very well structured English.

"Why do you care so much about a game you've obviously already played?"

I havent played it before, seeing as I do not own a DS. I do, however, own an iPhone, so this is good news to me.

michael.lauden
Aug 31, 2009, 12:45 PM
I havent played it before, seeing as I do not own a DS. I do, however, own an iPhone, so this is good news to me.

me too. although i doubt i will actually purchase it. i can't seem to find a game that i keep coming back to without buying extra content

Trooperof3
Aug 31, 2009, 01:14 PM
Awesome for R*. I won't buy ChinaTown wars unless it's cheap, I'm not a big double dipper. But also the Beaterator game is coming, so i'll probably buy that, just to support them

MacRumors
Aug 31, 2009, 01:25 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/08/31/grand-theft-auto-franchise-coming-to-iphone/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/08/31/142500-fob-1_200.gif

TouchArcade.com reports (http://toucharcade.com/2009/08/31/grand-theft-auto-chinatown-wars-coming-to-iphone/) that Rockstar games has announced they are bringing Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars to the iPhone and iPod Touch platform this fall."Chinatown Wars is a perfect match for the iPhone and iPod touch," said Sam Houser, Founder of Rockstar Games. "We are very excited to bring this incredibly ambitious version of Liberty City, with this level of detail and immersive gameplay on Apple's new gaming platforms."GTA Chinatown Wars is a mobile version of the popular franchise which first appeared on the Nintendo DS platform. It has since been announced for the PSP and now the iPhone and iPod Touch. The DS version of the game has been very well received.

Article Link: 'Grand Theft Auto' Franchise Coming to iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/08/31/grand-theft-auto-franchise-coming-to-iphone/)

thegoldenmackid
Aug 31, 2009, 01:27 PM
Screw that, bring it to OSX already...

leandromp
Aug 31, 2009, 01:30 PM
OMFG, i can't wait!!

SFStateStudent
Aug 31, 2009, 01:32 PM
Oh great, another reason to hand my iPhone over to my nephew....:p

zombitronic
Aug 31, 2009, 01:36 PM
I'm glad I passed on all the imitation iPhone GTAs. This one will be worth it (a month after it's released and the price is cut).

spillproof
Aug 31, 2009, 01:37 PM
:D:D This is so exciting! And yes, bring it to OSX!

The Phazer
Aug 31, 2009, 01:37 PM
Ooh, neato. If the controls are any good that'll be a must buy.

Phazer

jav6454
Aug 31, 2009, 02:06 PM
I wonder how will the controls work. Given that you need to move forward, shot and aim at the same time.

I can figure out a way, but it has holes.

zombitronic
Aug 31, 2009, 02:12 PM
I wonder how will the controls work. Given that you need to move forward, shot and aim at the same time.

I can figure out a way, but it has holes.

Check out Terminator: Salvation for the best third person controls I've used on the iPhone. Virtual stick to move, drag to aim, virtual button to shoot. I could see these working.

nickXedge
Aug 31, 2009, 02:16 PM
We'll see what happens when it hits the review/approval process.

iphones4evry1
Aug 31, 2009, 02:16 PM
What about "Grand Theft iPhone" ? :D

GottaLoveApple4
Aug 31, 2009, 02:17 PM
As for controls, would some developer please use the proximity sensor as a button already?! Come on now...it would help a lot. If not, use dinosmash like controls.:D

mblake118
Aug 31, 2009, 02:25 PM
That would be really awesome, iPhone is becoming a pretty good gaming alternative to the psp and ds

SkippyThorson
Aug 31, 2009, 02:37 PM
If Car Jack was actually fun, I would consider that a very nice competitor to GTA2 - I liked the top downs when that was all they had. Ahh those were the days.

GTA3 and on however have seen no such competitor at all, on any platform, unless you count the more car oriented Driver series. (Which I admit, I like and play more, though it just isn't GTA)

Now for mobile and handheld gaming - pfft, forget it. Chinatown is going to blow everything on the iPhone away in that category of gaming. Just like Real Racing is the clear winner in racing games, with NFS a far second - which I also like and play more.

So let me hear your sultry interweb voices rejoice and join me in saying, let there be GTA. Let there be Chinatown Wars.

</sermon>

Mintin8
Aug 31, 2009, 03:44 PM

I'm not sure you really know what the whole Grand Theft:AUTO thing means do you :L

sinsin07
Aug 31, 2009, 04:42 PM
Man am I glad I have a PSP so I can play this game proper. I would need a magnifying glass to play this game on my iPhone.

But it's good non psp/ds owners will have a third option.

zombitronic
Aug 31, 2009, 04:46 PM
I'm still waiting for DKC2DKS.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3222/2467339570_1712540c5e.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3084/2467339646_716cbc6027.jpg

iceman1234
Aug 31, 2009, 04:48 PM
Check out Terminator: Salvation for the best third person controls I've used on the iPhone. Virtual stick to move, drag to aim, virtual button to shoot. I could see these working.

Also see brothers and arms it has amazing controls!

stuffradio
Aug 31, 2009, 04:55 PM
You could buy a 3rd party dock like thing that hooks on to the iPhone to provide physical gamepad buttons.

Dagless
Aug 31, 2009, 05:13 PM
Pardon me? It is traditional GTA - it is overhead.

I'm not sure what to make of this. First we have a DS version which gets the job done, it got good reviews and sold well. I don't see what the PSP and iPhone versions can bring to the table, especially considering the PSP version won't have touchscreen controls and the iPhone version won't have physical buttons.
I think I'll stick with the DS one.

illitrate23
Aug 31, 2009, 05:54 PM

you mean, it's not traditional GTA3
it is very much traditional GTA - as it is the same style as GTA, GTA2 and GTA:London.
from the few hours of the DS game that i've played, it's also full of GTA humour and for that i'll be buying it, regardless of how the graphics or the controls are

as someone else said, the PSP version is really going to seem a poor alternative without a touch-screen interface - they'll use the joystick i guess to move the cursor, but it won't be as good.
but the iPhone version could be the best of them all - not only the touch screen interface for the car hotwiring, drug finding, etc etc but also the graphics should be much crisper on the iPhone than they are on the DS's poor screen

sinsin07
Aug 31, 2009, 06:43 PM
Does anybody have a positive link to DS GTA: China Town wars. My search just yields negative info.

Search termin GTA: China Town War sales

TIA

Derrick Velasco
Aug 31, 2009, 07:06 PM
I want to see on this on the Mac platform aswell.

leomac08
Aug 31, 2009, 07:18 PM
unless i see the same graphics as vice city or san andreas.

the game will suck!

if it's beyond that like gta 4

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

celloman
Aug 31, 2009, 07:41 PM
unless i see the same graphics as vice city or san andreas.

the game will suck!

if it's beyond that like gta 4

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

u obviously havent played many iPhone games or seen their graphic quality... :rolleyes:

leomac08
Aug 31, 2009, 07:52 PM
u obviously havent played many iPhone games or seen their graphic quality... :rolleyes:

i have! and i have not been satisfied in many ways! especially with metal gear touch! lol :D

the graphics in super spider monkey are nice

crow mag racing is okay.

sully's landing in the hudson river app is awesome

and many others!

Freyqq
Aug 31, 2009, 09:28 PM
watch them spend millions on development only for it to be rejected by apple

rockstar has a reputation for making games that raise eyebrows..and apple certainly seems to have a low tolerance for anything beyond the status quo..

igazza
Aug 31, 2009, 11:59 PM
OMG i think this game will cost heaps but i will buy it

chriszzz
Sep 1, 2009, 12:07 AM
i have! and i have not been satisfied in many ways! especially with metal gear touch! lol :D

crow mag racing is okay.

and many others!

Its a phone. Not an Xbox.

Mr. Gates
Sep 1, 2009, 02:12 AM
My 3Gs lags on Duke Nukem ! How do they expect to pull this off?
This phone has limits

spyker3292
Sep 1, 2009, 07:54 AM
I absolutely love Chinatown Wars, I'm just not excited for the iPhone release. It's not going to be as good as the DS version and I've already played the DS version so why buy the iPhone one? The PSP one looks pretty good, but I won't get that either.

I think Rockstar was disappointed with the DS sales for the game and decided they had to release it on EVERYTHING. :D

I don't know what some of you are talking about, "this game will suck", "this isn't traditional GTA"? Wow. I guess you have never played GTA 1, 2, or Chinatown Wars.

Dagless
Sep 1, 2009, 08:29 AM
I think Rockstar was disappointed with the DS sales for the game and decided they had to release it on EVERYTHING. :D

I think it sold quite well but just didn't make them a trillion dollars like GTAIV. I hope these non-DS versions add new, compelling features (online highscores?) and it doesn't just turn out to be a flat out port of the DS version.

DUSTmurph
Sep 1, 2009, 05:52 PM
This game is probably going to get rejected by the app store until the developers remove all the blood, gore, violence, guns, prostitutes, and stealing of cars.

sinsin07
Sep 1, 2009, 06:41 PM
I think it sold quite well but just didn't make them a trillion dollars like GTAIV. I hope these non-DS versions add new, compelling features (online highscores?) and it doesn't just turn out to be a flat out port of the DS version.

I have been looking for good reviews as I have every GTA since 3 on multiple consoles and PSP, however every sales link in my Google search showed negative info. I would buy the DS just for this game, but it looks iffy

charltonx
Sep 2, 2009, 03:06 AM

crow mag racing is okay.

and many others!

What's the Hudson river app called? I've searched under Sully, Hudson and can't find anything, maybe it isn't available anymore or isn't on the European app store.

gmcoates
Sep 2, 2009, 03:32 AM

:D Does that mean people can snatch your iPhone while you are playing, think of the irony! :eek:

Dagless
Sep 2, 2009, 07:25 AM
I have been looking for good reviews as I have every GTA since 3 on multiple consoles and PSP, however every sales link in my Google search showed negative info. I would buy the DS just for this game, but it looks iffy

So you won't buy a game that was well recieved by critics and players (unlike GTAIV which moneyhatted their way to the top) because it didn't sell well initially? That's not a good way of looking at it. It's a very (http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/ds/home/950922.html) good (http://www.gamerankings.com/ds/index.html) game (http://www.metacritic.com/games/ds/scores/).

I bought it for 9 but after playing it I'd gladly pay 25. It's just hands down one of the most fun GTA games ever, and I also own all of them (not much into the story, I go for the gameplay).

Vundu
Sep 2, 2009, 07:59 AM

If it is similar to the old GTA's it is traditional no? :rolleyes:

iDanielle
Sep 10, 2009, 08:19 AM
I'm excited. I hope that whatever they charge for the game will be worth it. Unlike The Sims 3. What a waste of $10+ tax

sishaw
Sep 10, 2009, 09:14 PM
This game is probably going to get rejected by the app store until the developers remove all the blood, gore, violence, guns, prostitutes, and stealing of cars.

Am I the only one who appreciates the dry humor of this post?