Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grabberslasher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2002
Éire
I flexed my web coding skills (HAH!) and made the first third party gadget for Tiger (I think it's the first anyway).

Anyone with Tiger just download it and double click. This is meant as a joke so please don't get upset - I mean no offense to Konfabulator.

Option (alt) click to spin.

http://grabberslasher.no-ip.com:81/smiley.gadget.zip

Attachments

• smiley.jpg
    smiley.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 307
  • smiley2.jpg
    smiley2.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 253

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
Excellent. I think the functionality of Dashboard has a lot of potential, i just dont' like that it's only in "Expose" mode... But hey, it's beta.

Iroganai

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2003
Wow, this is great ! :) :) :)
I can't get in touch with Tiger until it is released,
but now I can understand the mechanism by
reading your html ! It's just simple !

Hey, you should be worried to be sued by Apple
because of breaking NDA :cool:

I want to ask questions to grabbersmasher:
is the standard bundle extension is .gadget ,
not .widget I supposed from Stevenote ?

another: is the 'gadget' object in the javascript
some godgiven object by the Dashboard ?
(corresponds to the window object in the browser, I suppose)
what other methods does it have ?

grabberslasher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2002
Éire
Iroganai said:
Wow, this is great ! :) :) :)
I can't get in touch with Tiger until it is released,
but now I can understand the mechanism by
reading your html ! It's just simple !

Hey, you should be worried to be sued by Apple
because of breaking NDA :cool:

Hehe. They're only Gadgets. All they are are web pages, you can even save http://www.apple.com and make it a gadget. Nothing too top secret!

Iroganai

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2003
to grabberslasher:

I added some question to my previous post.
I think the methods of `gadget' are top secret, aren't they?

Thanks in advance !

grabberslasher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2002
Éire
They're called Gadgets in this build of Tiger, just like Automater is called Pipeline.

I don't know what the gadget object has, I just basically copied the Developer example and changed the HTML and added my own pictures.

I don't think I could legally show some of the developer docs here.

Iroganai

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2003
Many thanks for your info, grabberslasher.

I'm now seriously considering whether to obtain
ADC select membership... Tiger is so sweet...

but this will surely distract me from my work
as a physics grad student :(
Already the days after Stevenote I couldn't do any research :eek:

age234

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2004
So, how do you make these gadgets in Tiger? Is there some sort of WYSIWYG creation software, or what?

Can you make Flash widgets with non-square edges? 'Cause that'd be really cool. :D

grabberslasher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2002
Éire
How to make? Dreamweaver. Or Simpletext. Your choice! :p

I haven't tried anything more complex than the above.

Gadgets also allow for "plugins" - i.e. the iTunes Controller and Address Book plugin. I tried coding one in Xcode following the guide but Cocoa programmin is above me.

A plugin allows it to interface with the system through a javascript call, and must be installed into System/Library/GadgetPlugins - i.e. installed by an administrator. This removes the security risk of installing plugins from the net (unless you're plain stupid).

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
What gadgets are bundled with the OS? Any other than the address book, calender, clock, stock, iTunes, calculator, stickies, and picture frame that they demoed? And are calender, address book, etc like the Panther versions or is there any added functionality?

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
mms said:
What gadgets are bundled with the OS? Any other than the address book, calender, clock, stock, iTunes, calculator, stickies, and picture frame that they demoed? And are calender, address book, etc like the Panther versions or is there any added functionality?
There's really nothing more than what you've seen demoed because the WWDC preview is an older version of Tiger (hence "Gadgets" and "Pipeline"). Some of the gad/widgets do have very interesting functionality, though. The iTunes one controls the volume using a scrollwheel-like interface.

grabberslasher: Thanks for the info. I hadn't found the gadget examples, but the "Goodbye World" one will be very helpful for working with that nifty flip animation.

JohnsonMac

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2004
I found a site with a gadget archive earlier on google, http://www.thedashboarder.com - doesn't have many gadgets though :(

I guess Dashboard is still pretty new, and maybe once more people submit theirs it will be better! Grabberslasher, you should submit yours, it's funny!

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I can see a money making opportunity with this feature in Tiger. Selling a collection of useful widgets or templates and kits to make it easy for anyone to create their own widget. Perhaps having some Sherlock channels as widgets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.