PDA

View Full Version : built-in mic on imac not working correctly

asitallunfolds
Jun 30, 2004, 04:26 PM
Whenever I go to record from my built-in mic I always seem to be getting abunch of feedback from it and I don't know how to fix it. Any suggestions? thank you in advance

jsw
Jun 30, 2004, 04:36 PM
One suggestion: turn down your speakers.

Another: depending on what app you're using, you should have the option to mute the speakers while recording or some such. Also, reducing the gain on the mic should help as long as keep it high enough for it to pick up what you intend to record.

Basically, though, lower the speaker volume and you might be fine.

Cometdude
Jun 30, 2004, 05:38 PM
I have the same problem too on my iMac 450 with Mac OS 10.2.8 on it. It seems to work ok for speakable items, but when I try to record anything or use the voice chat feature on iChat it doesn't work! I just get a bunch of feedback.

asitallunfolds
Jun 30, 2004, 06:00 PM
One suggestion: turn down your speakers.

Another: depending on what app you're using, you should have the option to mute the speakers while recording or some such. Also, reducing the gain on the mic should help as long as keep it high enough for it to pick up what you intend to record.

Basically, though, lower the speaker volume and you might be fine.

that didn't seem to work. Thanks anyway

jsw
Jun 30, 2004, 06:03 PM
Sorry to hear that. I'm not sure which iMac you have - does it have Firewire? If so, the iSight mic works great. Otherwise, any half-decent 3rd party mic should help.

If you're Mac is new enough to be under warranty, you might consider calling Apple support. Perhaps there's a problem. My 17" flat-screen 800MHz iMac's mic works fine.

And muting your speakers doesn't help? I wonder where the feedback's coming from....