Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HOiYA

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
After installing Snow Leopard, I only see JDK 1.6. The 1.5 is a symlink to 1.6 and in the 1.3 folder there is only the libraries.

I have a 3rd party application that will only run on 1.3. So my questions is, is there a way to get 1.3 on 10.6?

HOiYA

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Unfortunately that didn't work. When I run it on 10.6 it says I don't have a qualifying JDK.

duggram

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2008
So you may end up with a solution where you bootcamp/vmware/parallel an older version of windows and run it there. Probably not what you were looking for?

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
After installing Snow Leopard, I only see JDK 1.6. The 1.5 is a symlink to 1.6 and in the 1.3 folder there is only the libraries.

I have a 3rd party application that will only run on 1.3. So my questions is, is there a way to get 1.3 on 10.6?

Which 3rd party application requires 1.3? Be specific.

10.5 Leopard also lacks a 1.3 JVM, so are you running now on 10.4 Tiger?

Tiger's 1.3 JVM isn't native Intel code, only emulated PowerPC via Rosetta. This runs significantly slower than a native JVM. If you're running Tiger, have you been running the app all this time under Rosetta?

I've never seen a Java app on Mac OS X that actually required ONLY a 1.3 JVM. Depending on how the app is built, there may be a simple way to reconfigure it to accept more modern JVMs. But without knowing exactly what app it is, there's no way to do this.

HOiYA

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
The application I am trying to run is the ATG Control Center (ACC) - http://www.atg.com. It is a remote java app that connects to an server application over RMI. It is a pure java app so I don't believe it was running under Rosetta.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
It shouldn't matter - All JDKs/JREs for all platforms have always been able to run older Java applications in a backward compatibility mode. Java 6 is compatible all the way back to Java 1.2, the first Java to be given the "Java 2" moniker.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
The application I am trying to run is the ATG Control Center (ACC) - http://www.atg.com. It is a remote java app that connects to an server application over RMI. It is a pure java app so I don't believe it was running under Rosetta.

I can't tell from the ATG website how the ACC app is deployed. My guess is that it's a Java Web Start application, not a downloaded and locally-run app-bundle.

Assuming it's a Java Web Start application, then they have full control over which Java version it requires. This control is absolute. If they say it requires a version of Java 1.3, then that's what it requires and there's not much you can do about it, except complain to ATG that they should support newer Java versions (1.3 is ancient, and requiring it and ONLY it is ridiculous).

For what it's worth, the requirement for a particular Java version will be given in the .jnlp file of the app's provider. Without seeing that, it's impossible to say whether they really are requiring 1.3 or not. And without the URL of that .jnlp file, there's no way to see what it contains.

On the question of Rosetta, the JVM itself would run under Rosetta, and the pure Java app would then be run under the JVM. The JVM is just a program written in C and C++; it's not magic.

If this is happening, you can observe it in Activity Monitor.app, found in your /Applications/Utilities folder. Simply launch the app, run Activity Monitor, then scroll the list of processes sideways to show the "Kind" column. If it says "PowerPC" on the line for your app, then it's running under Rosetta. If it doesn't say "PowerPC", then it's not running Java 1.3. Truly, Rosetta is the only way to run Java 1.3 under Tiger on an Intel Mac.

Finally, you still haven't said what OS version you were running when the ATG app was working.

russellkmoore

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2007
yes, everything I have read, 1.3 you are out of luck, but not necessarily for ACC....

For those of you interested, atg's ACC is a stand-alone java application with some shell scripts to start it. It packages JREs for supported platforms, none of which are OSX (used to be you could just hack the start shell script, but no longer).

The class version packaged in the ACC app requires 1.3, but the classes also reside elsewhere that doesn't. HOiYA, I have an answer for you, but I can't post it on a forum as it has to do with grey areas and licensed software.

sapravi

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2009
yes, everything I have read, 1.3 you are out of luck, but not necessarily for ACC....

For those of you interested, atg's ACC is a stand-alone java application with some shell scripts to start it. It packages JREs for supported platforms, none of which are OSX (used to be you could just hack the start shell script, but no longer).

The class version packaged in the ACC app requires 1.3, but the classes also reside elsewhere that doesn't. HOiYA, I have an answer for you, but I can't post it on a forum as it has to do with grey areas and licensed software.

was anyone able to find a solution for this. Can u send it to me sapravi(at)gmail
I am stuck with snowleapard and not being able to run ACC

HOiYA

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
I ended up installing jdk 1.5 and 1.4 on my mbp. Then I set up the correct sym linksm 1.4 points to 1.4.2 and 1.5 points to 1.5.0.

For my app (the ACC), I modified the startClient startup script by specifying the jdk version:

JAVA_VM=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/bin/java

Hope that helps.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.