Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laff

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2009
I have owned a Rev. A up till about a month ago. While I did have some of the video stutter problems, overall, it was great. When I bought it, I did have to return 3 units due to problems out of the box.

A month ago I decided to eBay my Rev A and purchase the 2.13Ghz Rev C version. Unit #1 had the grey screen lines, returned. Unit #2 (this is a first) crashed during first time turned on, then would drain its battery, while OFF in less than 5 hours (double checked too to make sure I turned the Air off and not sleep) returned. Unit #3, the screen was actually crooked and very noticeable.

Now saying I still love the Air has to do with the weight and size. While no debate on this, the MBP with a SSD is great, the extra 1.5lbs and size actually makes a noticeable difference once you use an Air for a while (especially if you travel).

Now the but...every time (including the first Rev. C unit) I am wondering what I will get and may be wrong. I do not look for problems or trying to find problems lets call it a conditioning that has happened from numerous poorly manufactured units I have received.

So why am I adding a thread...it is not to support or support the Air or even the MBP, its simply disappointment. As a 20 year Apple user, I find overall quality has fallen off and am very afraid to order another Mac Air.

I should note, I also use a iMac and have owned many other Mac's.

I welcome your opinions...

mrgossett

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
Sorry to hear about your bad experiences replacing your MBA with a new one. I just recently bought an Apple refurb 1.86 SSD. The display and everything else on it is perfect. I just installed Snow Leopard on it today. It was very fast before, and now it's even faster on everything. I don't think I could go back to anything else after using the Air.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Quality control is a problem Apple has let go with all of its Macs. Just as many MBPs are shipped with crooked lids, screwed up displays, DOA issues, and etc.

In addition, you never really owned a Mac until the rev C. It's unfortunate that you were unlucky, as both rev B 1.86/SSD and rev C 2.13/SSD are amazing Macs when they've been built properly. The original MBA didn't deserve the Apple logo and have ruined the MacBook Air branding. I have owned all three. The original was the worst and only poor Mac sold with an Intel CPU.

I do agree that Apple has sent out some terrible build quality MBAs, but the component makeup of the rev C MBA with SSD is incredibly capable. I think the average Mac consumer would benefit/enjoy the MBA rev B/C with SSD more than the extra power of the 13" MBP. Most users don't need more than 2 GB of RAM, 2.13 GHz is plenty of CPU power, Nvidia GPU is incredibly capable and is same GPU as in MBP, and the SSD more than makes up for any slower components.

I believe that you will miss the portability of the MBA and that when the brand gets past its original MBA's failures the MBA form factor will become the primary Mac notebook of the future. I bet you will be back. The MBP's advantages of power are far outweighed by the fun and capabilities of the MBA and its incredible component makeup and beautiful form factor.

Until then, good luck with your "Pro."

joelypolly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
Bay Area
Maybe try a refurb

Having bought a few refurbs and also a few new Mac's I have to say the I have had less problems with refurbs. Perhaps it's all the extra work Apple does to re-certify them for sale that lowers the lemon count.

After having a Air for less than a week I am sold on the idea of a thin and light but powerful machine.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
I have both, a 13" MBP and a MBA.

I love them both, the 13" MBP is my favorite and the MBA is a close second. Contrary to what others write here I don't necessarily agree the MBA is a good main machine. Unless your main tasks are very light.

If weight is a huge concern buy the Air. But if you want more ports, power, upgrade-ability, and a stronger more robust feeling machine then buy the 13" MBP for sure, there's nothing wrong going to the 13" MBP whatsoever.

You won't have to mess with hubs, usb port splitters, SD card readers, constant fan running, flimsy lid, limited HD size ... it's just not a good "main" computer for doing a wide array of computing tasks. And, by the time you load the peripherals for the Air in your bag so that it can work like the MBP's you loose any weight you gained.

The MBA is just a 'great' executives netbook, with a bonus full sized screen and keyboard, amazingly thin and light, it was never designed to be a main machine and that's why it isn't a mainstream computer...

caonimadebi

macrumors regular
May 7, 2009
I too feel that the MBA is no more than a beautiful netbook, even with the SSD. There are simply too many sacrifices, when you consider all the extra attachments you need to carry, to use as a main computer.
I recently had a 1.6/120HDD replaced by 2.13/SSD, the apple store manager simply would not let me pay the difference to upgrade to a 15" MBP, and I'm now stuck with the rev. C MBA. SSD is a wonderful upgrade from the SSD, but is not significant enough to make it a "pro" machine. The computer is still bottlenecked by the limited RAM and LV processor, even for tasks that general users find useful, such as ripping a DVD with Handbrake.
Apple has done a great job to design and to market the 13" MB (now known as the MBP) as the most popular all-in-one Mac, and unfortunately MBA has a lot live up to if it were to be used as a main computer.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I think you have bad luck or were just too picky.

My friend just got hers recently (she's trilled) and knowing that I'm the tech expert, she asked me to look it over. I checked for the non-existent lines issue and it wasn't there. I benchmarked the SSD and upgraded her to SL. No problems.

I don't think it's Apple QC, just that we hear more about the negative experiences than the good. No machine is perfect, no matter if it's a Mac or PC. Instead of finding a fault in it, try to find ones you can't live with.

mackhydr4

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2009
I too feel that the MBA is no more than a beautiful netbook, even with the SSD. There are simply too many sacrifices, when you consider all the extra attachments you need to carry, to use as a main computer.
I recently had a 1.6/120HDD replaced by 2.13/SSD, the apple store manager simply would not let me pay the difference to upgrade to a 15" MBP, and I'm now stuck with the rev. C MBA. SSD is a wonderful upgrade from the SSD, but is not significant enough to make it a "pro" machine. The computer is still bottlenecked by the limited RAM and LV processor, even for tasks that general users find useful, such as ripping a DVD with Handbrake.
Apple has done a great job to design and to market the 13" MB (now known as the MBP) as the most popular all-in-one Mac, and unfortunately MBA has a lot live up to if it were to be used as a main computer.

Sell it a get a MBP-

macboy4

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2009
Now the but...every time (including the first Rev. C unit) I am wondering what I will get and may be wrong. I do not look for problems or trying to find problems lets call it a conditioning that has happened from numerous poorly manufactured units I have received.

That sounds just like me! I had a Rev B with HDD and when they dropped the prices/rebranded the laptop line in June I started looking into upgrading. I seriously considered the Rev B SSD refurb. Now, I'm not afraid of refurbs like some people, but having had THREE brand new MBAs replaced I'm afraid of MBAs!

I was so worried about screen lines or mouse buttons that scratch the bezel I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger.

Scottsdale says that just as many Macbooks/Pros have quality control issue as the MBA, but that has not been my experience. Perhaps we MBAers are more vocal, but it seems like way more people have issues with the little guy than his big brothers.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
^ I had issue with the "big brother" which is what drove me to the MBA. Now that the issues I had with the MB(P) are fixed I am considering going back once the sellers of the SSD get their heads out of their asses with the pricing.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
We've had endless problems with our MBPs (sudden shutdowns, bulging batteries, failing power cables, melting power adaptor cables, PRAM corruption issues resulting in colour palette being distorted, failing to sleep, failing to wake). The Air's not the only laptop with issues.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
The MBA is far more than a netbook. But where the Air truly shines is when connecting to peripherals meant for it.

Add a 24" LED ACD, and you get an LED backlit IPS display better than the iMac displays. You also get a 4-port USB hub where you can leave all of your USB peripherals plugged in. You also get nice speakers built in and a web cam. In addition is built in power for the MBA, so you can leave the charger in the laptop bag.

Add a wireless BT aluminum KB and a silver BT Logitech mouse and your desktop experience becomes complete. What the hell do you need a bunch of ports for???

Now, add either an AirPort Extreme Base Station or Time Capsule. Plug your backup HD (if the AEBS) and to both hookup your printer. See wireless technologies remove the need for ports!

Now, add MobileMe, you get not only iDisk to store your files online for access from the Internet which allows you more disk space than initially capable with 128 GB SSD. In addition you get access from your MobileMe interface to all of the files on your Time Capsule (or AEBS drive).

I honestly don't get why anyone wouldn't prefer the MBA if they had the money for this ultimate Mac setup. For me wireless access to devices and files is all I need. Forget about plugging eight wires into your Mac every time you connect at your desk.

The MBA requires the whole package to achieve the perfect user experience. I feel my MBA does everything I need and more... it's hard for me to understand why others wouldn't want this setup. It's impossible for me to understand also why people want the MBA to be secondary to an iMac or even MBP...

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
Buyer beware...

The MBA is far more than a netbook. But where the Air truly shines is when connecting to peripherals meant for it.

Add a 24" LED ACD, and you get an LED backlit IPS display better than the iMac displays. You also get a 4-port USB hub where you can leave all of your USB peripherals plugged in. You also get nice speakers built in and a web cam. In addition is built in power for the MBA, so you can leave the charger in the laptop bag.

Add a wireless BT aluminum KB and a silver BT Logitech mouse and your desktop experience becomes complete. What the hell do you need a bunch of ports for???

Now, add either an AirPort Extreme Base Station or Time Capsule. Plug your backup HD (if the AEBS) and to both hookup your printer. See wireless technologies remove the need for ports!

Now, add MobileMe, you get not only iDisk to store your files online for access from the Internet which allows you more disk space than initially capable with 128 GB SSD. In addition you get access from your MobileMe interface to all of the files on your Time Capsule (or AEBS drive).

I honestly don't get why anyone wouldn't prefer the MBA if they had the money for this ultimate Mac setup. For me wireless access to devices and files is all I need. Forget about plugging eight wires into your Mac every time you connect at your desk.

The MBA requires the whole package to achieve the perfect user experience. I feel my MBA does everything I need and more... it's hard for me to understand why others wouldn't want this setup. It's impossible for me to understand also why people want the MBA to be secondary to an iMac or even MBP...

I can't agree with those comments and for a new buyer reading them and expecting to get the experience you're describing ... it just doesn't happen. You forget to mention when you're doing the activities you've described the poor little Air is being worked and pushed to the max, fans blazing and cooking with heat. The MacBook Air is not meant to be a desktop replacement. Take it from someone who owns few of them and a few MBP's as well, all people in my company carry Mac's....

Imagine yourself taking a week long trip, think about what you'd be doing with your computer, if it's just checking email, writing a little and fairly light tasks you'll appreciate the Air. If you see yourself perhaps watching a movie, taking photo's, using the SD card slot, editing then you'll want the MBP. If you want to plug in more than one USB device, play a dvd that all points to the MBP meeting your needs. Can the Air do it? Yes, provided you don't mind listening to the fans working hard, a lot of heat, and it is slower for photo editing/loading/viewing than my 13" MBP.

The Air is what Apple meant it to be... a GREAT secondary computer, or 'executive netbook', it's not meant or sold to be a main machine or "desktop replacement". Again, I have an Air, I have ACD's and a 13" MBP, I've traveled with both the Air and MBP for business and pleasure, for example at the Cottage in the Muskoka's ... I would NEVER want to only have the MBA with me, I took some photo's the SD card reader right there was slick, the MBP flew through and edited photo's without a whisper from the fan, watching a movie on the MBP it's silent, you'd never know it was working. Do the same on the Air and the fans are full blast the table underneath is burning hot ...

It depends what you're doing, but a desktop replacement? No. I've tried to use my Air as a desktop replacement/main computer, there's no way, a few of my staff have done the same, it's too much to expect from the Air, it's the sweetest machine and I love it but recommending it as a main machine will disappoint 9 out of 10 people I think.

The 13" MBP is just a little thicker and a little heavier, it's very manageable and is a full powered/full featured notebook and if you're looking for a mobile main computer that's the way to go, imo.

TerrorOFdeath

macrumors member
May 15, 2008
I can't agree with those comments and for a new buyer reading them and expecting to get the experience you're describing ... it just doesn't happen. You forget to mention when you're doing the activities you've described the poor little Air is being worked and pushed to the max, fans blazing and cooking with heat. The MacBook Air is not meant to be a desktop replacement. Take it from someone who owns few of them and a few MBP's as well, all people in my company carry Mac's....

Imagine yourself taking a week long trip, think about what you'd be doing with your computer, if it's just checking email, writing a little and fairly light tasks you'll appreciate the Air. If you see yourself perhaps watching a movie, taking photo's, using the SD card slot, editing then you'll want the MBP. If you want to plug in more than one USB device, play a dvd that all points to the MBP meeting your needs. Can the Air do it? Yes, provided you don't mind listening to the fans working hard, a lot of heat, and it is slower for photo editing/loading/viewing than my 13" MBP.

The Air is what Apple meant it to be... a GREAT secondary computer, or 'executive netbook', it's not meant or sold to be a main machine or "desktop replacement". Again, I have an Air, I have ACD's and a 13" MBP, I've traveled with both the Air and MBP for business and pleasure, for example at the Cottage in the Muskoka's ... I would NEVER want to only have the MBA with me, I took some photo's the SD card reader right there was slick, the MBP flew through and edited photo's without a whisper from the fan, watching a movie on the MBP it's silent, you'd never know it was working. Do the same on the Air and the fans are full blast the table underneath is burning hot ...

It depends what you're doing, but a desktop replacement? No. I've tried to use my Air as a desktop replacement/main computer, there's no way, a few of my staff have done the same, it's too much to expect from the Air, it's the sweetest machine and I love it but recommending it as a main machine will disappoint 9 out of 10 people I think.

The 13" MBP is just a little thicker and a little heavier, it's very manageable and is a full powered/full featured notebook and if you're looking for a mobile main computer that's the way to go, imo.

Nice Comment.
I am curious. Which Rev have you?

I'm just thinking out loud here, but i need just an device to watch my movies+series and a little surfin.
Is the C Rev also affected by the loud fan noise when watching movies?

Because if it ist, then the Air is no option for me.

Doju

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008

And imagine... you can do all of that, more and at a cheaper price with the MacBook Pro.

I had a MacBook Air before I went to the MacBook Pro, you get so much more for the MacBook Pro and you only add 1.5lbs. If you find carrying a 4.5lbs laptop around difficult (I walk to school every day and back with mine) you need to go to the gym. 1.5lbs is not significant considering what you lose.

Scott, you described precisely why the MBA is not that good of a machine for most. To get it great, you have to make so many compromises, buy so many things for it, when with a MBP you could just have it all normally.

It's great for you, I guess. Not for most. In a couple years, maybe, but now now.

1.5lbs is insignificant. Go to the gym for a month, or remove a text book you don't need. MacBook Air is then nullified. Replaced with a machine with not only more ports (the point you're missing) but different ports, like FireWire and SD which are very useful. It's also almost half a GHz faster, encodes video faster, more RAM.

You also claim the SSD makes it faster than a Mac Pro. Fine, buy a low end MBP (cheaper and better than the MacBook Air spec-wise in every way short of hard drive) and give it an Intel 160GB SSD.

You'll SAVE MONEY, you'll have MORE capacity, you'll have it FASTER than the MacBook Air's drive and UPGRADEABLE for when an even faster one comes out.

There is almost no point to the MBA. I loved it when I had it, but only because the screen was better than the MacBook Aluminium. Now they have MacBook Pros in 13" flavors, and I upgrade the week of the release. Couldn't be happier, barely a lb more (people deadlift hundreds of lbs at the gym using their back and legs just like a bookbag, and you complain over... 1lb?) and no shortcomings.

Love it.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
you guys have it all wrong....

the macbook air is a perfect desktop replacement....it was MADE to be used with the ACD and Mobile me.

i use mine as a desktop replacement...i know many who are using it as a desktop replacement.

you guys go on about fans blazing...bla bla ? ...i program on mine using VB 2008 through a VM....my fans are at 3400 rpm and 59 C...SAME as my 17" doing the same thing.

macbook air is lightweight, has sufficient power to do anything, i edit RAW camera images just as easily as my 17"....which i dont even use anymore.

1.5lbs is a big difference when its all you have to carry around.

ill stick with the far superior mba....you can keep your mbp.

the macbook air has never let me down, i take it just about everywhere i go and i laugh at those with big laptops...trying to fit them on a table at the coffee shop.

mba is what ever notebook will be like in the future, maybe a few more usb ports.

Doju

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Far... superior.

It's inferior in every way spec-for-spec, except 1.5lbs.

Wanna rephrase that?

I carry my MBP for two miles every single day. 1.5lbs is irrelevant. I can't believe people are obsessing over it. Go to the gym for a week, I assure you after that it won't matter. One and a half lbs after lifting dozens of lbs multiple times... it will be insignificant. Or would you rather spend hundreds of dollars more on less weight instead of a couple dozen on a gym membership?

As far as I see it, and I mean no offense by it, the MBA is only targeted towards scrawny, weak people.

It could be a desktop replacement, but why pay more for a weaker, in every possible way, machine. If it's a desktop replacement, the weight won't even matter, so it IS inferior in every single way.

I look at it this way. Should I pay more for a bungalow, or less for a mansion.

I've had both, I doubt you have. 1.5lbs is like half a text-book.

I agree, the MBA will be the future of laptops, if the future of any muscle-mass existing on humans will not occur.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
Far... superior.

Wanna rephrase that?

I carry my MBP for two miles every single day. 1.5lbs is irrelevant. I can't believe people are obsessing over it. Go to the gym for a week, I assure you after that it won't matter. One and a half lbs after lifting dozens of lbs multiple times... it will be insignificant. Or would you rather spend hundreds of dollars more on less weight instead of a couple dozen on a gym membership?

As far as I see it, and I mean no offense by it, the MBA is only targeted towards scrawny, weak people.

It could be a desktop replacement, but why pay more for a weaker, in every possible way, machine. If it's a desktop replacement, the weight won't even matter, so it IS inferior in every single way.

I agree, the MBA will be the future of laptops, if the future of any muscle-mass existing on humans will not occur.

the air is for people with style and elegance, and im sure you own a mansion but regardless. i own a business and the macbook air is suited to me and alot of executives i know.

you ramble on abut how its inferior but offer nothing but your inexperience.

by the way...im 24 years old, and im sure im in far better shape then you and i do not need a gym membership...i have one in my house, but im sure things will start looking up for you soon....

carrying around an extra 1.5lbs may not seem like much to you...but it is alot to normal people.

good luck with your heavy laptop.....

Doju

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
the air is for people with style and elegance, and im sure you own a mansion but regardless. i own a business and the macbook air is suited to me and alot of executives i know.

you ramble on abut how its inferior but offer nothing but your inexperience.

by the way...im 24 years old, and im sure im in far better shape then you and i do not need a gym membership...i have one in my house, but im sure things will start looking up for you soon....

carrying around an extra 1.5lbs may not seem like much to you...but it is alot to normal people.

good luck with your heavy laptop.....
Wow, you sir are priceless. :)

You bought the MacBook Air for style. You paid hundreds of dollars more to look pretty in front of your friends. You know, I thought I'd get a valid answer, but this will do.

Inexperience.. yet I've had both. Hmm, great point.

And you're positive you're in better shape than me... because of how I type on the internet? Or are you spying on me via webcam? If not, short of having mind powers, you have no idea what you're talking about.

You go to the gym, yet you say something weighing less than five lbs is heavy. Hahaha. And that 1.5lbs in the difference between heavy and light. I mean, you HAVE to be stronger than me after that statement.

Please, continue to post. You make me laugh more and more, and dig yourself further in a pit.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
Wow, you sir are priceless. :)

You bought the MacBook Air for style. You paid hundreds of dollars more to look pretty in front of your friends. You know, I thought I'd get a valid answer, but this will do.

Inexperience.. yet I've had both. Hmm, great point.

And you're positive you're in better shape than me... because of how I type on the internet? Or are you spying on me via webcam? If not, short of having mind powers, you have no idea what you're talking about.

You go to the gym, yet you say something weighing less than five lbs is heavy. Hahaha. And that 1.5lbs in the difference between heavy and light. I mean, you HAVE to be stronger than me after that statement.

Please, continue to post. You make me laugh more and more, and dig yourself further in a pit.

right...how would you know...after all im over the internet...you spying on me with a webcam?

you have no idea what your talking about...im sure you have "owned" both.

again....good luck with you heavy notebook....

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Far... superior.

Wanna rephrase that?

I on the other hand commute 30 miles by motorcycle, and carry my 15" MBP in a message bag. I often don't end up home until five + hours after work. Sometimes I have to carry my heavy-ass Acer work laptop in addition to my personal laptop. Reducing weight would be great.

What if you are in school and have to carry several textbooks you can't leave at home, do you not think that 1.5 pounds is a noticeable addition?

Do either of these scenarios mean that the owner of a Air is a scrawny weakling?

Just remember that not all usage patterns are yours.

But why bother with that when you can just insult people who want a lighter machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.