Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applefan89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
Ok so if I buy a movie off of Itunes and it says available in HD on Apple TV. If I go ahead and buy it and then get Apple tv later on, is it in HD?

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Ok so if I buy a movie off of Itunes and it says available in HD on Apple TV. If I go ahead and buy it and then get Apple tv later on, is it in HD?

No.

That means that you can RENT the movie on the Apple TV in HD. Most movies on iTunes via the computer are not available to rent in HD, thus the Apple TV is needed.

if a movie on iTunes says "Buy HD Movie," then you are fine since you get both the SD and HD version of the movie.

applefan89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
No.

That means that you can RENT the movie on the Apple TV in HD. Most movies on iTunes via the computer are not available to rent in HD, thus the Apple TV is needed.

if a movie on iTunes says "Buy HD Movie," then you are fine since you get both the SD and HD version of the movie.

O ok, so it means u can only rent it on apple tv in HD theres not a special hd version on apple tv to buy thats HD?

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Basically the Apple TV will only let you rent movies in HD. This is downloaded to the Apple TV's hard drive and then deleted after it expires. If you buy a movie however, this is downloaded to the Apple TV's hard drive then synced back to the computer used to manage that Apple TV.

If you buy a HD movie on iTunes, you get the both a SD and HD version, either of these can then be synced with the Apple TV or streamed.

Hope this helps

pac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.