Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gadgetman99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2009
After drooling over the Macbook Air for a year or so, I finallly took the plunge. I got a used (suposed to be like new) Rev A off ebay pretty cheap after Bing cash back. It will be here tomorrow, but until the other day, I did not relaize there were 3 revs out and that I got the oldest one. It sounds like many people say the Rev A is slow and problematic, but after finding windows Vista scores higher then my Dell XT, I expect I will be happy with it. So now I am looking for feedbacl. Is there something I shoudl do when I get it, like opening it up and applying arctic silver on the CPU/GPU? Or any software tweaks I shoudl be doing? This is my first Mac, so it will take a few days to get used to the new OS, but I plan to put Windows 7 on it in a few days anyway. I might swap out the HD forst so I can just swap back to Mac OS if I want.

Thanks for any feedback.

Pixellated

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
The MBA uses a 1.8" ZIF PATA Hard disk so you cannot swap it out for one form a dell. You can use boot camp to run windows on a partition of your hard drive very easily. Only apply the AS5 is you feel the laptop is too slow. Snow leopard would really help the laptop, a bargain at just $29.

brasscat

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Dallas, Texas
Ugh, sounds like you're gonna take OSX off your MBA and run Windows? And you're thinking of taking apart the laptop and putting Arctic Silver on the CPU? And you might swap out hard drives in case you want to go back to OS X sometime down the road?

You're definitely not thinking like an Apple user.

Gadgetman99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2009
Ugh, sounds like you're gonna take OSX off your MBA and run Windows? And you're thinking of taking apart the laptop and putting Arctic Silver on the CPU? And you might swap out hard drives in case you want to go back to OS X sometime down the road?

You're definitely not thinking like an Apple user.

My understanding is the Rev A tends to overheat and Artic Silver helps the heat sink work better? Sounds like you do not agree. As far as the hard drive and windows, I never liked dual booting, so this seemed like a good, quick way to play with both systems without reinstalling and setting up again later. As far as not thinking like an apple user, Ill leave that one alone (although it is tempting). As far as I am concerned, there is nothing wrong with using the operating system of my choice with the laptop of my choice (kinda gets back to why we took over this continent many years ago, freedom to choose what we want) :)

Gadgetman99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2009
The MBA uses a 1.8" ZIF PATA Hard disk so you cannot swap it out for one form a dell. You can use boot camp to run windows on a partition of your hard drive very easily. Only apply the AS5 is you feel the laptop is too slow. Snow leopard would really help the laptop, a bargain at just $29.

If the Dell XT uses a PATA 1.8" hardrive with ZIF connector, why would it's HD not work with the MBA if it uses the same HD type and size? Are MAC and PC HD's not compatible?

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
If the Dell XT uses a PATA 1.8" hardrive with ZIF connector, why would it's HD not work with the MBA if it uses the same HD type and size? Are MAC and PC HD's not compatible?

the air does not sue ZIF

it uses lif...while close...there NOT compatible.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
How much did you pay for it?

People have reported buying brand new rev Bs for $909 from Best Buy.

From Apple.com refurbished the rev B 1.86 GHz with SSD is only $1349.

You may want to check into advantages of rev B/C and SSD over the original and HDD.

Otherwise look into Cool Book software, Arctic Silver 5, and a laptop cooling pad.

Good luck.

Gadgetman99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2009
How much did you pay for it?

People have reported buying brand new rev Bs for $909 from Best Buy.

From Apple.com refurbished the rev B 1.86 GHz with SSD is only $1349.

You may want to check into advantages of rev B/C and SSD over the original and HDD.

Otherwise look into Cool Book software, Arctic Silver 5, and a laptop cooling pad.

Good luck.

I paid $710 after Bing cash back (and still under Apple Care until Nov).
So Arctic Silver helps keep it cooler and is recommended?
After using a Dell XT as my main machine (1.3Gz core 2 duo, with 2 GB ram and slower HD then MBA), I am sure the MBA will be slightly faster and more convenient, in some ways. Maybe in a few months I will spring for a rev b or c or just upgrade the rev a to an SSD (being PATA it still would not be as good as rev b/c, but better then a HD rev a). I almost sprung for a 5200rpm 1.8" PATA 120 GB HD for it, but decided I would wait until I get a feel for the stock unit. I expect I will be happy with it overall.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
I paid $710 after Bing cash back (and still under Apple Care until Nov).
So Arctic Silver helps keep it cooler and is recommended?
After using a Dell XT as my main machine (1.3Gz core 2 duo, with 2 GB ram and slower HD then MBA), I am sure the MBA will be slightly faster and more convenient, in some ways. Maybe in a few months I will spring for a rev b or c or just upgrade the rev a to an SSD (being PATA it still would not be as good as rev b/c, but better then a HD rev a). I almost sprung for a 5200rpm 1.8" PATA 120 GB HD for it, but decided I would wait until I get a feel for the stock unit. I expect I will be happy with it overall.

I don't see a real need to do the Arctic Silver. I use coolbook on my MacBook Air and it keeps it plenty cool, no need to open the machine up.

And the Rev A is a great machine. I am typing this on a Rev A, and it works perfectly.

coast1ja

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2009
... also typing this on a Rev. A MBA 1.8 80gb.

I love it... I have Vista Ultimate set up in boot camp and parallels so I can have Windows whenever I need it, but I gotta say that OSX is really growing on me.

mine never over heats or suffers core shut downs, so I really wouldn't recommend tearing it apart just to apply paste.

in boot camp, my vista experience score is 3.5 limited by the graphics. Everything else is 4.5-4.8.

I also purchased mine on ebay ($630 after cashback), and I wouldn't trade it for anything in this price range. You'll really enjoy it!... but I do suggest getting a case for it, I have the incase sleeve, and it works very well for protecting it while in my messenger bag. Enjoy!

Gadgetman99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2009
i got my revB at best buy for $699 :)

might want to consider buying the extra applecare package for it just in case.

enjoy your new MBA!!

Now that is the kinda deal I am always looking for, but the closest BB is about 1.5 hours away. Last weekend, I looked at BB and the only MBA on clearance was a Rev A or B for $1250. Not much of a deal. As far as a case, I have been combing ebau daily looking for a good slipcase. I really want one that is leather, thin, padded slightly and has a handle or shoulder strap.

Gadgetman99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2009
... also typing this on a Rev. A MBA 1.8 80gb.

I love it... I have Vista Ultimate set up in boot camp and parallels so I can have Windows whenever I need it, but I gotta say that OSX is really growing on me.

mine never over heats or suffers core shut downs, so I really wouldn't recommend tearing it apart just to apply paste.

in boot camp, my vista experience score is 3.5 limited by the graphics. Everything else is 4.5-4.8.

I also purchased mine on ebay ($630 after cashback), and I wouldn't trade it for anything in this price range. You'll really enjoy it!... but I do suggest getting a case for it, I have the incase sleeve, and it works very well for protecting it while in my messenger bag. Enjoy!

I am sure I will enjoy :)

I will probably play with it for a few days before deciding if I am going to take it apart or not. There are not many electronics (or gadgets) I have owned that don't end up getting dissected (I have gotten better at it since my childhood, at least now I don't end up with leftover pieces when it is all put back together, lol).

My Dell XT has a index score of 2.3 (graphics at 2.3 and 2.7, and HD at 3.7), so even tho people say the Rev A is a slow dog, I am sure it is speedier then my XT and thus a speed boost to me. Everything is relative... I am quite sure I will be happy with it, but if not, there are 2 more revs out there for me to upgrade to :)

Gadgetman99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2009
Happy so far

Ok, it has been 3 hours since I got my MBA and I am happy so far. The speed of the rev A has been fine. The fan came on for about 15 minutes while downloading the iwork demo, but otherwise 3 hours of web, downloading and charging has been quiet and fast enough for my use (as expected, it is slightly better then my Dell XT, speed wise). The large multi-touch touch pad is a welcome change. My dell had multi-touch as well, but it was way too small for the gestures. This screen seems much bigger (really only an inch), and brighter. The software takes some getting used to. I miss Google Chrome, but Safari has some similar features (tabs etc), so it is not bad. I have not found how to maximize open windows yet, but I am sure that will come with time (I would think the green button in the top of each window would do it, but maybe I am missing something). I don't miss windows too much yet, but I am sure there will be some software I will miss soon, so maybe I will just get Parallels to get me by.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Ok, it has been 3 hours since I got my MBA and I am happy so far. The speed of the rev A has been fine. The fan came on for about 15 minutes while downloading the iwork demo, but otherwise 3 hours of web, downloading and charging has been quiet and fast enough for my use (as expected, it is slightly better then my Dell XT, speed wise). The large multi-touch touch pad is a welcome change. My dell had multi-touch as well, but it was way too small for the gestures. This screen seems much bigger (really only an inch), and brighter. The software takes some getting used to. I miss Google Chrome, but Safari has some similar features (tabs etc), so it is not bad. I have not found how to maximize open windows yet, but I am sure that will come with time (I would think the green button in the top of each window would do it, but maybe I am missing something). I don't miss windows too much yet, but I am sure there will be some software I will miss soon, so maybe I will just get Parallels to get me by.

OS X doesn't maximize to fill the whole screen because it doesn't have to. It maximizes it to fit the contents of the window, but doesn't stretch all the way across the screen because that is just white space anyway. Want to do it anyway? Drag it from the bottom right corner.

When I switched from Windows I thought the same thing, but as I used OS X more and more I discovered that its actually smart the way it works. Why stretch a page to cover my whole screen when its just white space covering up other things I might want to see at a glance?

melissarae

macrumors regular
May 2, 2008
tampa, florida
Now that is the kinda deal I am always looking for, but the closest BB is about 1.5 hours away. Last weekend, I looked at BB and the only MBA on clearance was a Rev A or B for $1250. Not much of a deal. As far as a case, I have been combing ebau daily looking for a good slipcase. I really want one that is leather, thin, padded slightly and has a handle or shoulder strap.

yeah it was a hell of a deal... they said it was the older model and needed to get rid of it... i got it home and turned out it wasn't the older model like they claimed it to be! haha

Gadgetman99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2009
OS X doesn't maximize to fill the whole screen because it doesn't have to. It maximizes it to fit the contents of the window, but doesn't stretch all the way across the screen because that is just white space anyway. Want to do it anyway? Drag it from the bottom right corner.

When I switched from Windows I thought the same thing, but as I used OS X more and more I discovered that its actually smart the way it works. Why stretch a page to cover my whole screen when its just white space covering up other things I might want to see at a glance?

I realized this after posting the message. And as I am typing, the light level has dropped enough for me to see the backlit keyboard come on for the first time. Stunning! For being the first attempt (rev A), they really did a good job with it (except for the hinge issue, but with careful handling, even that should not be an issue).

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
I realized this after posting the message. And as I am typing, the light level has dropped enough for me to see the backlit keyboard come on for the first time. Stunning! For being the first attempt (rev A), they really did a good job with it (except for the hinge issue, but with careful handling, even that should not be an issue).

the hinge breaking has nothing to do with handling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.