PDA

View Full Version : Snow Leopard is EXTREMELY buggy.

lamina
Sep 1, 2009, 07:29 AM
I have a black MacBook, the last rev. before the aluminiums. I think.

Anyway, using iPhoto or Firefox, it will simply just lock up. It's happened 5 or 6 times today. Yeah. I've had to reboot that many times. I listen closely and I can hear my hard drive grinding. The drive itself sounds healthy, and I run Windows 7 without any trouble.

Woops. There it went again. Firefox just locks up for a few minutes, and the entire system refuses to budge, except for the mouse cursor. This is what Console says:

09-09-01 9:16:28 PM GrowlHelperApp[154] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x454650 of class __NSFastEnumerationEnumerator autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking

I killed GrowlHelperApp. Woops. There it went again, for about 5 minutes. I didn't want to lose all that I typed. I'll finish this here just in case it happens again.

Yes I have verified my disk, yes I have repaired permissions. Yes I did a clean install of Snow Leopard.

alFR
Sep 1, 2009, 07:32 AM
Is it not equally possible that the fault lies with Firefox or Growl, i.e. they haven't been updated properly for SL compatibility?

Hellhammer
Sep 1, 2009, 07:35 AM
All apps you listed work 100% without problems for me. Growl worked immediately and so did FF. So far, I've had zero crashes or bugs

tplatt
Sep 1, 2009, 07:35 AM
Is it not equally possible that the fault lies with Firefox or Growl, i.e. they haven't been updated properly for SL compatibility?

FWIW, I'm running FireFox 3.5.2 and Growl 0.7.6 (not the most current version) since Friday with no crashes or any other significant problems.

clevin
Sep 1, 2009, 07:38 AM

I recall apple has a list for SL incompatible apps? I don't think firefox is on it.

I also recall that growl is said to have problem?

I do know they works fine on leopard.

Easiest way? disable growl.

SL does save GB of disk space, but its a somewhat new OS, it can't be bug free. Think apple's record with Leopard.

macdim
Sep 1, 2009, 07:41 AM
Everything has been really smooth for me.

Clean install with upgrade DVD. No crashes yet and boot and shutdown speeds are impressive. Apps run faster and animations are much smoother overall.

I'm pleased.

MacBoobsPro
Sep 1, 2009, 07:42 AM
I too read there's a problem with Growl.

lamina
Sep 1, 2009, 07:42 AM
Well, here I am in Windows 7.

It started to crash while I was using Safari. I think I will reinstall once I've backed up all my stuff. I really shouldn't have to do this. It's embarrassing to be showing my friends my pictures, and have the computer lock up for 5 minutes.

I think I'll log back in under single user mode and remove any apps that may be superfluous. Can't wait for that .1 update :rolleyes:

Dwalls90
Sep 1, 2009, 07:43 AM
Sounds like your HDD to me, it's possible that Windows 7 works because it's not written on the portion of your HDD that is damaged, as clearly part of it is intact for the computer to be usable. Or, it could be that your HDD is on it's way out.

My buddy's MBP wasn't running SL well because he had so much ****, so I made him do a clean install and archived his old files, and everything runs smoother now. I suggest you do the same, and if the problem persists, well then you know it's not SL. Also, how much RAM do you have? Anything will hang if you have too little.

elbows
Sep 1, 2009, 07:44 AM
The only way I can crash the machine is by doing certain things with OpenCL in Quartz Composer - there are some bugs with that for sure but the rest of the OS has been solid as a rock for me and very fast.

xeex
Sep 1, 2009, 07:52 AM
Adobe better hurry up with the flash update as it drags safari by its feet, its ridicules, they had so much time on their hands and they havent updated a single thing it seems to me that the age of Adobe is slowly fading and good riddance never liked their sluggish applications in the first place.

soLoredd
Sep 1, 2009, 07:58 AM
Well, here I am in Windows 7.

It started to crash while I was using Safari. I think I will reinstall once I've backed up all my stuff. I really shouldn't have to do this. It's embarrassing to be showing my friends my pictures, and have the computer lock up for 5 minutes.

I think I'll log back in under single user mode and remove any apps that may be superfluous. Can't wait for that .1 update :rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to 10.6 the more I read about the really technical advances it has made but damn, I do not want to go back to stupid 10.x.0 bugs! It's so typical of every OS X release to take a step back with such small yet noticeable mistakes.

10.5 was the first OS X initial release I bought, all the others I upgraded after at least 3 point releases. And 10.5 wasn't truly nice to use until .2. Hopefully, the point release for 10.6 will come frequently.

lamina
Sep 1, 2009, 08:01 AM
Sounds like your HDD to me, it's possible that Windows 7 works because it's not written on the portion of your HDD that is damaged, as clearly part of it is intact for the computer to be usable. Or, it could be that your HDD is on it's way out.

My buddy's MBP wasn't running SL well because he had so much ****, so I made him do a clean install and archived his old files, and everything runs smoother now. I suggest you do the same, and if the problem persists, well then you know it's not SL. Also, how much RAM do you have? Anything will hang if you have too little.

I'm pretty sure my hard drive is fine, since it was working perfectly with Leopard before I installed Snow Leopard. I have 4GB of RAM and about 20GB of free disk space on my OS X partition.

I'm back in SL, after removing Growl in Safe Boot mode. Wow. I really like Growl, so I hope they update it soon, if that is the issue. I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks for all the comments.

MikeDTyke
Sep 1, 2009, 08:03 AM
That's a very provocative title, especially when the majority of us on macrumors and other places have had very little to complain about.

It's a major OS release, and this seems more of a niggle than a major crisis.

Whilst you say you did a clean install, was this from a formatted drive?

melissarae
Sep 1, 2009, 08:06 AM
we have a blackbook as well... same as yours... upgraded to SL on saturday... firefox and iWork keeps crashing on it. firefox and safari were both crashing on my iMac last night, but where working fine all day sunday.

i hope Apply releases a patch soon that get rid of all these annoying bugs!!!

MikeDTyke
Sep 1, 2009, 08:21 AM
we have a blackbook as well... same as yours... upgraded to SL on saturday... firefox and iWork keeps crashing on it. firefox and safari were both crashing on my iMac last night, but where working fine all day sunday.

i hope Apply releases a patch soon that get rid of all these annoying bugs!!!

If they were working all day Sunday, then it's more likely a buggy website that you've visited. That's the problem with web browsers, you can't test against every website and you can't cater for every malformed piece of html/javascript.

It's unlikely to be fixed by a patch from Apple unless you or someone else submits a bug to the webkit or Firefox teams, showing the example website crashing in a repeatable fashion.

Simply wishing for some 'Golden' patch will get get you nothing. :(

lamina
Sep 1, 2009, 08:21 AM
That's a very provocative title, especially when the majority of us on macrumors and other places have had very little to complain about.

It's a major OS release, and this seems more of a niggle than a major crisis.

Whilst you say you did a clean install, was this from a formatted drive?

Yes, I did reformat the drive before I installed.

BTW Firefox just locked up for a good 5 minutes while watching a YouTube video. I'm simply too lazy to reinstall tonight. I'll have to put up with this garbage for another couple of days.

MikeDTyke
Sep 1, 2009, 08:24 AM
I'm pretty sure my hard drive is fine, since it was working perfectly with Leopard before I installed Snow Leopard. I have 4GB of RAM and about 20GB of free disk space on my OS X partition.

I'm back in SL, after removing Growl in Safe Boot mode. Wow. I really like Growl, so I hope they update it soon, if that is the issue. I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks for all the comments.

Your hard drive has undergone a major rejig of large number of blocks, including a defrag. You most likely didn't see an issue before because it was in a region(s) that was rarely or never accessed.

dlewis23
Sep 1, 2009, 08:26 AM

It doesn't quite work like that, One thing is not specifically installed on one portion on the drive, its sprayed all over the drive. So it can't really be a HDD problem. it sounds to me like its just a bad install.

Adobe better hurry up with the flash update as it drags safari by its feet, its ridicules, they had so much time on their hands and they havent updated a single thing it seems to me that the age of Adobe is slowly fading and good riddance never liked their sluggish applications in the first place.

I don't think that will happen any time soon. Flash is the worst written of anything anyone ever put on OS X. It's really sad how bad flash is on the mac it uses a ton of CPU, and it is the only thing that will crash for me on SL. Thanks too apple for that crash detection in Safari, if that wasn't there Safari would have totally crashed on my probably 200 times so far since friday.

melissarae
Sep 1, 2009, 09:06 AM
If they were working all day Sunday, then it's more likely a buggy website that you've visited. That's the problem with web browsers, you can't test against every website and you can't cater for every malformed piece of html/javascript.

It's unlikely to be fixed by a patch from Apple unless you or someone else submits a bug to the webkit or Firefox teams, showing the example website crashing in a repeatable fashion.

Simply wishing for some 'Golden' patch will get get you nothing. :(

noo... firefox has been crashing on both machines (bb and iMac) since we installed... but just yesterday safari started crashing (i was on macthemes2.net) constantly on my iMac. AND iWork has been crashing since the install on saturday. :(

IBradMac
Sep 1, 2009, 09:43 PM
I thought I dodged a bullet when I read the Firefox problems..:rolleyes:

Apparently not, tonight FF locked up on me forcing me to force quit. Back to Safari I guess. :rolleyes:

jmpage2
Sep 1, 2009, 10:27 PM
I haven't had one lock up or crash under Snow Leopard.

I think a lot of the people having problems have done a lot of customizations on their machines, or possibly they have some hardware issues.

HLdan
Sep 1, 2009, 10:27 PM
WRong thread, sorry.

Fuchal
Sep 1, 2009, 10:40 PM
Finder has an issue with moving files where it doesn't seem to move all the way or it leaves parts of packages behind. Not quite sure what's going on but it's certainly annoying.

calderone
Sep 1, 2009, 10:51 PM
Finder has an issue with moving files where it doesn't seem to move all the way or it leaves parts of packages behind. Not quite sure what's going on but it's certainly annoying.

Be very careful with your data. There was a pretty big Finder bug in Leopard that resulted in data loss.

http://www.macintouch.com/leopard/movebug.html

alleycat
Sep 1, 2009, 10:52 PM
Snow Leopard is still crashing a burning, even though I did a clean install on another disk, with repaired permissions, etc. Good Lord you'd think it would work on a three year old Mac Pro.

PS CS4: crashes when saving
MS Office 2004: won't launch at all (Rosetta installed)
Quicktime X Player: crashes
Desktop pictures: crashes

I changed my main drive back to OS X 10.5.8 last night. Thank God for time machine.

So yes, Snow Leopard is as bad as people have been saying. :mad:

t0mat0
Sep 1, 2009, 10:53 PM
Sounds like this thread title needs a "for me" appended to it.

calderone
Sep 1, 2009, 10:55 PM
Sounds like this thread title needs a "for me" appended to it.

Agreed.

TheSpaz
Sep 1, 2009, 11:04 PM
Snow Leopard is not buggy.

ubercool
Sep 1, 2009, 11:13 PM
noo... firefox has been crashing on both machines (bb and iMac) since we installed... but just yesterday safari started crashing (i was on macthemes2.net) constantly on my iMac. AND iWork has been crashing since the install on saturday. :(

Sounds like the same bugs are still there from Leopard. Firefox hangs all the time on me and I have yet to upgrade to SL. I have even already disabled Growl because I thought it was contributing to the hanging. :(

I don't have any iWork crashes so that suggests you have a major issue somewhere. You will have to reinstall. Two OS installs to solve problems is not all that unusual. :eek:

aidricksdad
Sep 1, 2009, 11:38 PM

i coppy about 18 gb worth of video files i think like 20 videos and like a dummy i didnt check to make sure all of them were copied (to time capsule) and del. the originals and lost one:mad::mad::mad::mad:

lamina
Sep 2, 2009, 07:28 PM
I think I found the problem.

I've disabled Paragon NTFS, and the freezing has stopped completely.

Just something to think about.

jmpage2
Sep 2, 2009, 07:51 PM
I think I found the problem.

I've disabled Paragon NTFS, and the freezing has stopped completely.

Just something to think about.

That's the thing. How many of the people complaining about crashing, freezing, etc, have Macs with tons of legacy applications and they have not tried a clean install to see if they are still having issues?

There's a bit much whining going on by a relatively small number of individuals.

sommls
Sep 2, 2009, 08:02 PM
I agree that it's a little complicated to sort this out: the depth of the hardware checks and the precise details of how the software was installed are often unclear. For example, does a "clean install" mean that the OS was installed but all the buggy apps and their preferences were migrated in?

As I type on my 3 year old MBP (HDD once replaced already), I am aware via Volitan's software that the hard drive already has reallocated one sector despite the fact that disk utility and Seatools tell me everything's fine. Here, I'm letting the 10.5.8 go until the next major crash, then installing a new HD and 10.6 at the same time.

By contrast, my 2008 MacPro is getting a boot disc zeroing, clean install from the 10.6 DVD, and app by app reinstallation. We'll see.

iPostpone
Sep 2, 2009, 08:43 PM
I just installed SL on a year-old iMac. I have no "legacy" or unusual applications. Firefox crashes every time I click the Help menu, but I did not have to reboot. Firefox never, ever crashed before under Snow Leopard.

Now I'm worried about what else will go wrong... :confused:

lamina
Sep 2, 2009, 11:09 PM
The thing is, Snow Leopard is both a '0 new features' release, as well as basically a complete code rewrite.

I wonder how long it will be till either Apple or the third parties address the 'small' issues, like the ones I'm having.

simonshek
Sep 2, 2009, 11:12 PM
It is not buggy at all. Better than OS X Leopard 10.5.0

Jtrivedi
Sep 3, 2009, 01:13 AM
I get the same problems on Snow Leopard too. I'm getting a few crashes and a good amount of freezes. I'm hoping its just because its 10.6.0, and they'll start releasing updates and patches.

melissarae
Sep 3, 2009, 08:55 AM
I just installed SL on a year-old iMac. I have no "legacy" or unusual applications. Firefox crashes every time I click the Help menu, but I did not have to reboot. Firefox never, ever crashed before under Snow Leopard.

Now I'm worried about what else will go wrong... :confused:

firefox never crashed for us either before SL... we're using safari now on all 3 macs in our house :( which sucks cause i use firefox with foxmarks on my PC at work and i hate not being able to sync my bookmarks.

also, iWork 08 keeps crashing... apple fixed one issue with it last night when i called them, but then after i hung up it would still crash. i think we've narrowed it down to it crashing when certain shortcut command keys are used to perform a task. :( like the save as short cut mostly... going to install iWork 09 tonight to see if that fixes the problem.

azboricua
Sep 3, 2009, 09:21 AM
I cannot complete a Time Machine Backup, my SL keeps freezing and saying I need to restart my computer. I have had about 8 freezes so far, all have been using time machine and Safari.:(

This is the first time my 13inch uMBP has frozen ever!

lamina
Sep 4, 2009, 06:51 PM
Still running smoothly after removing that NTFS program. I think it's pretty safe to say that was the problem.

Infrared
Sep 4, 2009, 08:57 PM
It doesn't quite work like that, One thing is not specifically installed on one portion on the drive, its sprayed all over the drive. So it can't really be a HDD problem. it sounds to me like its just a bad install.

Normally when people think it's a hardware fault, it's a software fault :)

sommls
Sep 5, 2009, 01:48 AM
I'd second (third? fourth?) the issues about incompatible apps that more than one person in this thread has raised.

After an annoying hang in my first attempt at installing on a newly erased HDD, I used the original reinstall disks from my 2008 MacPro to erase the boot drive and reinstate a clean 10.5.1. Then added 10.6 on top of that with no other offending apps on board.

It works pretty much perfectly as I slowly reinstall the other apps originally present. Even Mozy managed to figure out that I had manually dragged 42gb of iTunes files from a SuperDuper backup and actually opted out of reuploading the whole library. It's been a great excuse to clean out the remains of other apps that proved useless and that AppZapper failed to catch, as well.

Sure, there have been some glitches. Growl failed to install properly (see now-current disclaimer on their web site to wait for a new version), an older game (OSX Skyfighters, from the late Don Hill) hasn't made the transition, and over two days there has been one Firefox hang that required a force quit. But that honestly was probably as much operator stupidity as anything else: I'm still as impatient as I used to be with slow web sites.

I havenít pushed that hard yet with other apps like an earlier Photoshop Elements: installing older Adobe software is just asking for hangs and crashes.

You could argue that both the Apple developers and the outside people had enough time to sort this out before the release, but perhaps responsibility could be apportioned to both sides. Itís clearly going to take time to sort out what really works and what doesnít.

Overall, though, a speed increase in the system is easily noticeable to me and my best guess is that this is not just reformatting and reinstalling the OS

rmchale
Sep 7, 2009, 09:40 PM
I cannot complete a Time Machine Backup, my SL keeps freezing and saying I need to restart my computer. I have had about 8 freezes so far, all have been using time machine and Safari.:(

This is the first time my 13inch uMBP has frozen ever!

Have you solved this? I get freezes when copying (specifically rsync) lots of files.

Orthogonal
Sep 8, 2009, 01:01 PM
So - less than 24 hours after a clean install of SL on my Pro I find that:

1. I can't access the internet
2. I can't open any iWork or Microsoft Office apps
3. mobile me keeps crashing

These problems (and more) are causing me to spend hours in forums like this attempting to fix what should never have been broken in the first place.
10.6.1 can't come fast enough.:mad:

Azrel
Sep 8, 2009, 01:22 PM
I've found Snow Leopard plain sailing!

It's quicker than Leopard, it feels more like Tiger was (but better obviously).

I always felt Leopard was a step forward in features, but a step back in performance and reliability compared to Tiger.

Thank God we have Snow Leopard now instead of plain Leopard!!!

:cool::apple: