PDA

View Full Version : Cool display of the top 10,000 iPhone apps in the Cupertino headquarters building

acklenx
Sep 1, 2009, 12:48 PM
Does anyone have a photo or video - or better description of the bank of displays showing the top 10000 app store apps that are actively being downloaded. I was in the building a couple months ago and I thought it was pretty cool how every time someone downloaded and app from the store its icon would hilite and the ripple outward across the neighboring icons. It was very cool - kind of like it was raining on sea of icons.

I've tried to describe it, but a picture (video really) would be worth a lot more than a thousand words. I was standing right there with my own iPhone in hand, and it didn't occur to me to take any video until after I stepped away.

xUKHCx
Sep 1, 2009, 12:58 PM
There was this hyperwall at the last WWDC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFry8geF6LA&fmt=18

Apple may have moved this back to Cupertino.

acklenx
Sep 1, 2009, 02:59 PM
Yes - that's it! I was so hopeful someone here would know what I was talking about - thank you. I can confirm that it is in Cupertino (or a duplicate is in Cupertino). I was told it was 10,000 apps, this says it's only 3,000. Looks to be the same size, so I'm guessing it's the same and I was told wrong while I was visiting.

Unfortunately one small monitor does not really do it justice. You can see in the video as they're zoom out how there is fair bit of activity (although somewhat sporatic as far as location). Then when they zoom in to one screen to see the detail, they always seem to catch a lull.

Anywho thanks a lot for the link.

puckhead193
Sep 1, 2009, 04:58 PM
There was this hyperwall at the last WWDC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFry8geF6LA&fmt=18

Apple may have moved this back to Cupertino.

Holy cow that is freakin awesome!

MattZani
Sep 2, 2009, 08:21 PM
I Want this, but a wallpaper, top 1,000 apps or something for the 1440x900 screen. Would be awesome.

DeusInvictus7
Sep 2, 2009, 08:27 PM
I Want this, but a wallpaper, top 1,000 apps or something for the 1440x900 screen. Would be awesome.

And a crazy battery drainer, no doubt. Unless it's on a desktop, then I approve. :D

ucfgrad93
Sep 2, 2009, 08:36 PM
Holy cow that is freakin awesome!

Agreed, that is pretty amazing.

talkingfuture
Sep 3, 2009, 04:36 AM
I always thought that would be great as a screensaver or on the Apple homepage.

Vster
Sep 6, 2009, 05:33 PM
Wow that is awesome, I want that in my home!