Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tardinha

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hey,

This is a bit of an odd one.

My GF dropped her MacBook the other night, and since then Leopard would only be able to start in safe mode, and then be very slow accessing the hard drive. I figured the drive had died, but I decided to test it on other computer and it works fine.

Anyway, I did a fresh install of Leopard, which went fine and boots up, but any subsequent boot it dies. Booting in verbose mode, it comes up with some errors on the efiboot screen (I can't remember exactly what they were). I still have access to all the usual boot options etc.

So on a whim, I boot camped up the disk and installed Windows 7 to see what would happen. It installed fine, and works 100%. No complaints about anything at all (except there being Windows on there :p), all hardware functional!

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem Leopard (10.5 and 10.6) might be having? I've erased the drive several times, both quick and zeroed, repaired it and so on.

Thanks

Mark

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.