Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgsolidsnak3

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2007
Hi

My macbook recently had the usual crack on the palmrest area.
That is frustrating because i knew about the issue and i was very cautious about it.

I understand that apple will replace the cover, what i need to know is how long it will take and if they will accept to fix it without a harddisk in it.
Im very paranoid about my data and i dont want people snooping around my stuff, also I used to work in a computer repair center during the summer and "having a peak" to someone's data was a very common thing they did, especially when it was a slow day.

ps I still have applecare & the apple store im visiting is in Manchester, UK

Thanks

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Explain your sensitive data situation to them. The cracked palmrest has nothing to do with the hard drive either.

They still wanted an admin account on my machine when they fixed my upper case. I made one for them instead of giving them my password. They even have 2.5" FireWire bus powered drives too. I didn't see a need for them to boot off of my drive.

I suggest you reset your PRAM afterward as well. I had some jumpy trackpad issues and went back only to have that solve the issue.

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
Hi

My macbook recently had the usual crack on the palmrest area.
That is frustrating because i knew about the issue and i was very cautious about it.

I understand that apple will replace the cover, what i need to know is how long it will take and if they will accept to fix it without a harddisk in it.
Im very paranoid about my data and i dont want people snooping around my stuff, also I used to work in a computer repair center during the summer and "having a peak" to someone's data was a very common thing they did, especially when it was a slow day.

ps I still have applecare & the apple store im visiting is in Manchester, UK

Thanks

Woo, Arndale ftw.

Anyway, I don't think you are actually allowed to remove the hard drive without voiding the warranty, so I'm not sure how iffy they'd be on that subject. Just don't give them access to your main account? Create a new one for them so that they can't sneak around your personal files.

cogsinister

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2006
Fredericton NB Canada
Woo, Arndale ftw.

Anyway, I don't think you are actually allowed to remove the hard drive without voiding the warranty, so I'm not sure how iffy they'd be on that subject. Just don't give them access to your main account? Create a new one for them so that they can't sneak around your personal files.

Removing the hard drive can NOT void the warranty, i dont know where you people get this ?

The HD is a user replaceable part....the only way Apple could say the warranty was "void" (a very difficult thing to do under consumer law in the UK) is if you damaged the computer in the process........

I dont see why the hard drive should be in there for them anyway if you wanted to take it out.....they could use a spare HD to boot the computer from......

And even tho i am in Canada, i am English and a Mancunian !!!

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
Removing the hard drive can NOT void the warranty, i dont know where you people get this ?

The HD is a user replaceable part....the only way Apple could say the warranty was "void" (a very difficult thing to do under consumer law in the UK) is if you damaged the computer in the process........

I dont see why the hard drive should be in there for them anyway if you wanted to take it out.....they could use a spare HD to boot the computer from......

And even tho i am in Canada, i am English and a Mancunian !!!

I was just under the impression that it voids the warranty. Apple don't put instructions on replacing the hard drive in the manual, so I assumed they didn't approve of it.

cogsinister

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2006
Fredericton NB Canada
I was just under the impression that it voids the warranty. Apple don't put instructions on replacing the hard drive in the manual, so I assumed they didn't approve of it.

Lots of people on here upgrade there hard drives......and like i said unless you break the connector off (ouch) or somthing there is no way Apple could void anything...

But always keep your old drive to put back in if it needs to go in for repair.....

Buskape

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
NGC 4889

The instructions for changing the HD or RAM of every single Mac is on Apple.com :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.