PDA

View Full Version : G5/mbp/mp

tlng13
Sep 2, 2009, 12:36 AM
the service center just called, one of the CPU from my G5 2.5G dual ppc found liquid spilled..

they said it's just the computer getting old, no particular reason

it's better to get a new mac than CPU replacement as i don't have apple care

so now i've got to figure out, is the 2.26/2.53 macbook pro is faster than my G5, or should i get a 2.66 mac pro....

i mainly use it for logic pro

thx

thegoldenmackid
Sep 2, 2009, 12:46 AM
I'd go with the Mac Pro, it's hard for users to replace the features of the full towers.

gugucom
Sep 2, 2009, 03:30 AM
IMHO the only 2,5 GHz with liquid cooling was the (late 2005) quad with two PPC970MC CPUs. There was a design fault on that machine and Apple has replaced broken units foc out of warranty. Long stories, search for it. You may have a chance to get a PM replacement.

tlng13
Sep 2, 2009, 06:36 AM
I'd go with the Mac Pro, it's hard for users to replace the features of the full towers.

yeah, that's my first thought, coz i don't really need portable, tower does give me a more secure feeling, but it's expensive~

so i'm more into the processing power comparison, but can't find any...

tlng13
Sep 2, 2009, 06:38 AM
IMHO the only 2,5 GHz with liquid cooling was the (late 2005) quad with two PPC970MC CPUs. There was a design fault on that machine and Apple has replaced broken units foc out of warranty. Long stories, search for it. You may have a chance to get a PM replacement.

mine is a June 2004, dual 2.5Ghz, so it may not be the one u mention...

it's little sad such expensive machine could only run 5yrs, i expect a bit longer... everything is getting faster now

gugucom
Sep 2, 2009, 07:20 AM
I thought Apple only liquid cooled the 2,7 GHz 2004 model.

tlng13
Sep 2, 2009, 09:11 AM

thx gugucom

i found this page
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/G5_coolant_leaks.html

ppl there had the exact same situation as me, some of them got a free repair/replace, so i'll call Apple Hong Kong tmr see if they would do that for me like their US department...

gugucom
Sep 2, 2009, 10:53 AM

I found that Apple made June 2004, early 2005 and late 2005 product releases featuring liquid cooling on the top model. They were: 2,5 GHz, 2,7 GHz and 2,5 GHz again. So there are actually three models with liquid.

Yes, that was the story I meant with the liquid system. I doubt though that Hong Kong will help. Those people went over the heads of the service system to very senior managers who are all in the US. Many people approached Steve Jobs even.

tlng13
Sep 3, 2009, 12:54 AM
That was a NO I got from the apple hotline in HK, they said there is no such case b4, and they won't replace it for free, so I guess I'm going to read the cases in that web site and write an email to apple us...

tlng13
Sep 12, 2009, 03:16 AM
i call the apple hotline again, tried to talk to the customer relations in the hk hotline, but i'm not allowed to, sort of like, "u already got the answer by them from us"

left feedback in apple site for a week, no news
left feedback in apple asia site for few days, no news

contacted local newspaper, see what happen, not much expectation though
-

so back to the topic,

here are my choices

1. fix it for $1500
2. buy and upgrade a 2.26GHz macbook pro for $2000
3. buy and upgrade a mac pro for $4000
4. buy a refurbished macbook for $800 temporary and see what to do later

and i want to know how fast a 2.26GHz compare to my G5 dual 2.5Ghz with 8Gb ram.....

thx

California
Sep 12, 2009, 03:40 AM
i call the apple hotline again, tried to talk to the customer relations in the hk hotline, but i'm not allowed to, sort of like, "u already got the answer by them from us"

left feedback in apple site for a week, no news
left feedback in apple asia site for few days, no news

contacted local newspaper, see what happen, not much expectation though
-

so back to the topic,

here are my choices

1. fix it for $1500
2. buy and upgrade a 2.26GHz macbook pro for $2000
3. buy and upgrade a mac pro for $4000
4. buy a refurbished macbook for $800 temporary and see what to do later

and i want to know how fast a 2.26GHz compare to my G5 dual 2.5Ghz with 8Gb ram.....

thx

Did you actually read the above linked article?

I would insist on talking to another rep at Apple and send them the linked article... it is not acceptable that your computer blows up.

motulist
Sep 12, 2009, 04:18 AM
processing power comparison, but can't find any...

http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/mac-benchmarks/

tlng13
Sep 12, 2009, 04:57 AM
thx very much motulist!

ok i may give it a try on mon, just like every other hotline, it's very difficult to get someone to answer, my working hrs is overlapping theirs and the fact is i'm not, totally, to make such long phone call during work...

anyway, thx everyone

300D
Sep 13, 2009, 01:53 AM

All G5 models 2.5GHz+