Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
It seems obvious that we need a better system for developers to post codes for members here. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to redeem a code for an app and the code is already redeemed. If people don't have the decency to post which codes they've used (and to say thank you to the developers for posting the codes), they don't deserve to get one. It should be common courtesy to post which code you used and to say thank you, but we apparently have a lot of members here who just take and don't care about anyone else.

The only other system I can think of is to have the developers post that they have "x" number of codes available and the first "x" number of people who PM the developer get a code; however, I'm not sure that developers want to deal with all of those PMs.

Can anyone else think of a better system that we can use?

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
i think a lot of the developers are new and don't have the post count to PM...

this has been brought up a lot of times just in the short time i've been a member.... some of us think a lot of it is lurkers.... although i'm sure there are registered members who take and don't thank, too....

i do think making the forum for giving out codes member's only would be a start....

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2005
i think a lot of the developers are new and don't have the post count to PM...

this has been brought up a lot of times just in the short time i've been a member.... some of us think a lot of it is lurkers.... although i'm sure there are registered members who take and don't thank, too....

i do think making the forum for giving out codes member's only would be a start....

I agree. I spend more time entering used codes than actually using apps. It's frustrating to us who want to do things correctly.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
This has already been discussed, several times.

Rule of thumb, if the thread has more views than codes, you aint getting one.

MirroRobin

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2008

That's actually a pretty good rule of thumb...never thought of it that way :p Thanks!

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005

Lol. But it isn't really necessary that if a thread has more views than codes, then all of them are gone. A lot of times I check out a promo thread but don't use any codes if it isn't something that interests me. So keep hunting. There might still be some codes left even if view count is more than the codes available :p

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
Speaking as a developer, I don't really care who would get the product for free. As long as it gets used, the extra word of mouth will help it grow. I don't believe that someone who posts saying "I took XYZ" will spread it around any more than someone who doesn't. Getting it out quickly is the concern; it's not like I'll know anyone personally so why should it matter? I posted something on here asking for PMs, and it took me over two days to give out two codes, one of which was never even used. But then again, I wasn't catering to the Aah-mur-ik-uhns here, so of course I have a smaller audience. But I would much rather give them away in five seconds by copy pasting a list than digging through countless PMs.

These threads always sound to me like people who are upset that they can't get their desired share of free stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.