PDA

View Full Version : Apple posts new iTunes & iPod video

MacBytes
Jul 1, 2004, 10:46 AM
Category: Apple Services
Link: Apple posts new iTunes & iPod video (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040701114612)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Mudbug
Jul 1, 2004, 10:53 AM
oddly enough, they didn't provide an iTMS link to the song.

Here you go:

http://www.dailytunes.com/songs/20040701115112.html

"Walkie Talkie Man" by Steriogram

students of typography should take careful attention to this video - there are some concepts of how to use type as a graphic element that you don't see just anywhere - this took some real time and creativity.

michaelrjohnson
Jul 1, 2004, 11:10 AM
students of typography should take careful attention to this video - there are some concepts of how to use type as a graphic element that you don't see just anywhere - this took some real time and creativity.

Agreed. Very impressive, yet conceptually, so very simple. Sounds like Apple all right!

1macker1
Jul 1, 2004, 11:34 AM
Didn't do anything for me, besides the BMW steering wheel and iPod wheel analogy.

xtbfx
Jul 1, 2004, 11:46 AM
Now if we could only get some DECENT commercials for TV that show OSX and iTunes instead of dancing people.

michaelrjohnson
Jul 1, 2004, 11:50 AM
Now if we could only get some DECENT commercials for TV that show OSX and iTunes instead of dancing people.

It's hard to call this ad campaign not decent. When just *yesterday* it won an award.

Cannes Media Lion Award. Link (http://archives.canneslions.com/includes/cnt_media_zoom.cfm?zoomifyImagePath=/zoom/media/2004/00610&award=6)

Grand Prize Kelly Award. Link (http://www.macnn.com/news/25024)

Dippo
Jul 1, 2004, 12:14 PM
Agreed. Very impressive, yet conceptually, so very simple. Sounds like Apple all right!

Yes, and it actually showed what can be done with iTunes, iPod, etc.

The best part was where they rotated the iPod and hiding behind it was the mini, it looked so small compared to the iPod, and I know the iPod ain't big!

xtbfx
Jul 1, 2004, 12:22 PM
It's hard to call this ad campaign not decent. When just *yesterday* it won an award.

I didn't say the commercial itself was bad. I'm just saying I wish they would make some better commercials showing off the OS and iTunes instead of the dancing people.

nagromme
Jul 1, 2004, 12:52 PM
It's hard to show an OS or app clearly on a low-res, blurry TV in a tight ad time-slot that people are looking away from. I can't remember ever seeing it done, in fact. Selling iTunes and OS details takes more thought and time than a TV ad can get.

The answer is for TV ads to attract attention, be remembered, gain mindshare--and DRAW PEOPLE TO THE DETAILS found not in the ad, but on the web site.

iTunes ads do that--they get your attention and send you to iTunes.com to "continue the message."

Mac OS ads that do the same would be great. People may consider Macs as computers but they aren't thinking enough about the OS. I'm sure that's a tough message to get across to the average person, but getting people to Apple.com is a start.

I see that as a VERY difficult TV ad to make work, though. A computer is something people all understand. An OS? It just sounds technical and boring. A TV ad for an OS would be like a TV ad for a router in a way. It just wouldn't easily get me to pursue more info unless I was more tech-minded than the viewing masses :)

michaelrjohnson
Jul 1, 2004, 01:13 PM
I didn't say the commercial itself was bad. I'm just saying I wish they would make some better commercials showing off the OS and iTunes instead of the dancing people.

Point Taken. That is true, you'd think they would also want to push the OS in tandem with iTMS at some point.

1macker1
Jul 1, 2004, 01:13 PM
Those MS commercials are doing a good job. They are not selling a OS, but they are selling software, which is pretty similar.
It's hard to show an OS or app clearly on a low-res, blurry TV in a tight ad time-slot that people are looking away from. I can't remember ever seeing it done, in fact. Selling iTunes and OS details takes more thought and time than a TV ad can get.

The answer is for TV ads to attract attention, be remembered, gain mindshare--and DRAW PEOPLE TO THE DETAILS found not in the ad, but on the web site.

iTunes ads do that--they get your attention and send you to iTunes.com to "continue the message."

Mac OS ads that do the same would be great. People may consider Macs as computers but they aren't thinking enough about the OS. I'm sure that's a tough message to get across to the average person, but getting people to Apple.com is a start.

I see that as a VERY difficult TV ad to make work, though. A computer is something people all understand. An OS? It just sounds technical and boring. A TV ad for an OS would be like a TV ad for a router in a way. It just wouldn't easily get me to pursue more info unless I was more tech-minded than the viewing masses :)

Chealion
Jul 1, 2004, 02:45 PM
FWIW, the way I found out which song it was, was to pause the video when the guy looks at his iPod. If you notice that both in this video and the one featuring Ride by The Vines, the song info is shown on the iPod.

Those Kiwis know how to make a really good song :D

PlaceofDis
Jul 1, 2004, 03:04 PM
thats a pretty detailed commercial, im glad that they are moving away from the siloette ad's while at the same time reinforcing the public with the images of them and the coolness of the iPod, i really hope that if/when the new imacs come out there will be some hardcore advertising going on for them as well

Knox
Jul 1, 2004, 04:13 PM
thats a pretty detailed commercial, im glad that they are moving away from the siloette ad's while at the same time reinforcing the public with the images of them and the coolness of the iPod, i really hope that if/when the new imacs come out there will be some hardcore advertising going on for them as well

It's more an infommercial rather than a commercial - it's far too long to be shown on tv. However, looking at it from that perspective, it would be fairly easy to create a series of 4 or 5 very effective 45 second adverts using the content of that movie, one for each product featured.

Sabbath
Jul 1, 2004, 04:20 PM
Does anyone know how I can download this ad, or anywhere I can download the ad from. I really like this one for some reason.

gekko513
Jul 1, 2004, 04:28 PM
Wow ... that was amazing! Is that really a television ad or is it just a web-clip?

Knox
Jul 1, 2004, 04:37 PM
Wow ... that was amazing! Is that really a television ad or is it just a web-clip?

It was shown at the beginning of the WWDC keynote, I would be very surprised if it was used in full as a tv ad.

Knox
Jul 1, 2004, 04:44 PM
it would be fairly easy to create a series of 4 or 5 very effective 45 second adverts using the content of that movie, one for each product featured.

Fairly easy for Apple that is... my attempt is on the quick & dirty side and no/bad sound (getting it to sync with the video is hard...)

http://media.tecknohost.com/knox/ipod_advert.mov
http://media.tecknohost.com/knox/itunes_advert.mov

You get the idea at least.

MacFan782040
Jul 1, 2004, 05:48 PM
Although the Ad is too long for TV...., Apple should invest some advertizing money and use this as a preview before movies at the theater. It's about the length of a trailer, and sure would be shown to a lot of people.