PDA

View Full Version : Removing wind noise

bearcatrp
Sep 2, 2009, 04:20 PM
Need some suggestions on removing or reducing the wind noice from a wedding I recorded. I currently have sound track from my FCE 3.5 disks and garage band. Have never done anything like this so any suggestions would be appriciated such as which program and setting to use. Tnks

salientstimulus
Sep 2, 2009, 08:13 PM
Wind noise is tough. There might be a better way, but my first instinct would be to use an equalizer. Basically, a lot of the wind noise is going to be at high frequencies (10kHz and up), so you can cut those down a bit with an EQ, and hopefully not take too much away from the sounds you want.

I've never used FCE, so I'm not sure whether it has a suitable EQ. If you can export the audio, then you could use GarageBand or Audacity (open-source audio editor).

zimv20
Sep 2, 2009, 08:36 PM
in post, the only real option is a noise remover. you "train it" with a section of audio that has the undesirable sound (and *only* that sound), then it does some fancy maths and tries to subtract that "signature" from the soundtrack.

results vary with the state of the source, the ability of the software, and how you use it. good luck.

bearcatrp
Sep 2, 2009, 09:32 PM
in post, the only real option is a noise remover. you "train it" with a section of audio that has the undesirable sound (and *only* that sound), then it does some fancy maths and tries to subtract that "signature" from the soundtrack.

results vary with the state of the source, the ability of the software, and how you use it. good luck.

What program offers this? I mainly use iMovie 6HD after i import to iMovie 8 to get the AVCHD clips. I tried FCE but found I get just as good results from iMovie 6HD. They both import to AIC so the quality is there. If this is done in FCE, I'll break out the book and give it a try.

bearcatrp
Sep 2, 2009, 09:33 PM
Wind noise is tough. There might be a better way, but my first instinct would be to use an equalizer. Basically, a lot of the wind noise is going to be at high frequencies (10kHz and up), so you can cut those down a bit with an EQ, and hopefully not take too much away from the sounds you want.

I've never used FCE, so I'm not sure whether it has a suitable EQ. If you can export the audio, then you could use GarageBand or Audacity (open-source audio editor).

Forgot about audacity. Thanks. Not sure if it works with 5.1 sound but will give it a shot.

zimv20
Sep 2, 2009, 10:12 PM
What program offers this?
i've only used DINR (http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=115&itemid=1041). i don't know what would work for your platform.

as you've no doubt learned by now, the best solution for wind noise is to not record it in the first place. i don't know what setup you used, but there are a number of products like this (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=windjammer&N=0&InitialSearch=yes) for next time.

igmolinav
Sep 3, 2009, 01:56 AM
Hi,

I was previously given advice to eliminate "HiSS". Please do a search with my member name "igmolinav" and you'll find the answers I was given before. You may find them to be helpful.

Very kind regards,

igmolinav.