PDA

View Full Version : Connecting Two Macs via Firewire

maise
Jul 1, 2004, 01:31 PM
I just got a new iBook and want to transfer some files over from my PB. I remeber reading that it possible to connect the two with a firewire and have on of the computers show up as a hd on the ohter. Could someone remind me how that is done? Thanks a lot in advance.

kettle
Jul 1, 2004, 01:40 PM
attach firewire cable
restart/boot holding down the "T" key on the mac you want to read from.
the old mac should appear on the desktop of your new mac

wudja.cudja
Jul 2, 2004, 05:18 AM
attach firewire cable
restart/boot holding down the "T" key on the mac you want to read from.
the old mac should appear on the desktop of your new mac

Hi Kettle.. ..

What firewire cable do we need..

is it A-A or B-B
and will it be called a firewire crossover cable..

searching to buy on-line brings up so many different articles.

paul.

tomf87
Jul 2, 2004, 07:35 AM
It's a standard 6-pin to 6-pin Firewire cable. I am not positive, but I think 6-pin is considered A while 4-pin is considered B.

kettle
Jul 2, 2004, 09:13 AM
yeah, go with tomf87, 6pin and male to male, female being the firewire socket on your Powerbook and iBook.

Crossover is not necessary just connection. %Will on MRChat says a Mac can autodetect. He says that ethernet wise he uses a crossover to connect to a router and his PowerBook doesn't mind.

Hope it does the trick.

michaelrjohnson
Jul 2, 2004, 09:27 AM
yeah, go with tomf87, 6pin and male to male, female being the firewire socket on your Powerbook and iBook.

Crossover is not necessary just connection. %Will on MRChat says a Mac can autodetect. He says that ethernet wise he uses a crossover to connect to a router and his PowerBook doesn't mind.

Hope it does the trick.

Just to be a voice of affirmation, this *does* work. (Beautifully, I might add ;))