PDA

View Full Version : TomTom Car Kit Release Pushed Back to October

Maverickster
Sep 3, 2009, 10:34 AM
From the TomTom FAQs (see #14):

14. When will the car kit be available?

The TomTom car kit availability was originally planned for this summer. But we have decided to take some extra weeks in order to deliver the highest quality on this innovative product. So, the car kit will become available this October on www.tomtom.com.
Register your email address at iphone.tomtom.com and you will be one of the first to know when it is available to buy.

http://iphone.tomtom.com/en-us/faq.html

Pika
Sep 3, 2009, 10:37 AM
October 31st

MacRumors
Sep 3, 2009, 10:40 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/09/03/tomtom-car-kit-release-pushed-back-to-october/)

TomTom's FAQ for its iPhone navigation app (http://iphone.tomtom.com/en-us/faq.html) now notes that the anxiously-awaited Car Kit will not be released until October:

The TomTom car kit availability was originally planned for this summer. But we have decided to take some extra weeks in order to deliver the highest quality on this innovative product. So, the car kit will become available this October on www.tomtom.com.

This update to the FAQ comes surprisingly close to the kit's run through the FCC (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/08/28/tomtom-car-kit-details-revealed-by-fcc/) for approval just last week. The FCC's site (https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=480104&fcc_id=) shows internal and external photos of the car kit along with the user guide.

According to previous reports (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/08/17/tomtom-car-kit-to-be-compatible-with-ipod-touch-and-other-gps-iphone-applications/), the Car Kit's GPS capability will allow it to work with the iPod touch and other 3rd-party GPS applications. No information has been released yet on the kit's final pricing.

Article Link: TomTom Car Kit Release Pushed Back to October (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/09/03/tomtom-car-kit-release-pushed-back-to-october/)

Eso
Sep 3, 2009, 10:44 AM
They call it innovative? That's a stretch.

Tiffy
Sep 3, 2009, 10:53 AM
They apply the same brillant strategy as for the application : announce, then delay and let Navigon be the 1st. :D

kelpi
Sep 3, 2009, 10:56 AM
in the meantime, I put down $10.00 at Marshall's for the griffin window seat. Works great for $10.00. Make sure you read the instructions as many have complained that it keeps falling off. The tip is to gently tighten the base.

macslayer118
Sep 3, 2009, 11:06 AM
Ugh... at least tell us how much it's going to cost so I can decide if I want to buy the TomTom app... If I buy the app, I'll want the car kit too... :confused:

dpfenninger
Sep 3, 2009, 11:07 AM
Glad I went with the Navigon MobileNavigator app...TomTom has really missed the boat here.

Phil22
Sep 3, 2009, 11:17 AM
All I can say is.....

Navigon FTW.

And if navigon get their car kit out before dick dick then :mad:

jav6454
Sep 3, 2009, 11:18 AM
Co-Pilot looks better and is cheaper.

t0mat0
Sep 3, 2009, 11:31 AM
Navigon or another company will likely have their own dock out at this rate...

LastLine
Sep 3, 2009, 11:47 AM
This is getting ridiculous. Admittedly I love TomTom as it is and it works well, but I want to at least know how much it will cost when it does finally come out.

freediverdude
Sep 3, 2009, 12:02 PM
TomTom could have really made a killing with this, had they come out with this in a dock + app kit right around the time of the 3GS launch. For maybe $100-150. By now though, everybody has kind of moved on, and it will be more of a niche product. You snooze, you lose, TomTom.

iSee
Sep 3, 2009, 12:07 PM
This doesn't surprise me...
For a while this has been smelling like a development project in trouble.

I would be wary of buying this when it finally does come out. Sometimes, when a high-profile, prematurely announced product falls behind schedule it means that:

1. Significant unanticipated problems have cropped up, indicating that there are fundamental flaws in the requirements or design of the product.

2. As management becomes ever more desperate to release the product, hacks, kludges and duct tape are applied in large quantities in an attempt to hide the problems arising from the fundamental flaws.

In the end you get a buggy product that only kind-of works and has many annoying issues -- or even fatal flaws.

Of course, sometimes there's no fundamental problem -- it's just that some step took longer than anticipated. But I would wait for in-depth reviews before buying.

co.ag.2005
Sep 3, 2009, 12:27 PM
in the meantime, I put down $10.00 at Marshall's for the griffin window seat. Works great for $10.00. Make sure you read the instructions as many have complained that it keeps falling off. The tip is to gently tighten the base.

+1 Griffin WindowSeat is awesome!

Plus I don't need the speaker of the TomTom kit anyway because I turn off voice turn by turn... too annoying IMO

havenhamilton
Sep 3, 2009, 02:37 PM
+1 Griffin WindowSeat is awesome!

Plus I don't need the speaker of the TomTom kit anyway because I turn off voice turn by turn... too annoying IMO

Griffin doesnt have the added gps in it which seems like the main point of the tomtom kit

Stargaze
Sep 3, 2009, 03:56 PM
Ugh... at least tell us how much it's going to cost so I can decide if I want to buy the TomTom app... If I buy the app, I'll want the car kit too... :confused:

+1 on this

Bad forum on TOMTOM's hands :( :confused::mad:

DrewG5
Sep 3, 2009, 09:24 PM
I feel TomTom completely missed the golden opportunity. The NA app is currently not much better than an early beta and, not only did they not offer the cradle they are delaying it even more now.. Sad, I had so much respect for TomTom before, now Navigon has it.

wackymacky
Sep 3, 2009, 11:00 PM
Ummm.

They get to go along to the 3.0 OS WWDC to promote thier goods and now they're the last cab off the rank releasing.

Pretty crap on thier part.

Randman
Sep 3, 2009, 11:56 PM
Glad I went with the Navigon MobileNavigator app...TomTom has really missed the boat here.

Again.

Shasterball
Sep 4, 2009, 08:19 AM
Way to blow your market share Tom Tom! Someone has gotten fired over this mess for sure.

Stargaze
Sep 4, 2009, 08:42 AM
Ummm.

They get to go along to the 3.0 OS WWDC to promote thier goods and now they're the last cab off the rank releasing.

Pretty crap on thier part.

have to agree with you on this one as well you generally dont go and say "look at how awesome we are" then let so many others beat you to the punch on releasing software and then postpone your hardware past your already FAR FAR away release date of summer

Now i know why i have never bought a tomtom product before and why i probably will not buy one now unless they issue it wtih a strong discount and a appology for SUCKING! :eek:

jlanuez
Sep 4, 2009, 09:23 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

I bought the TomTom App right away, it is okay - not great. I'm so disappointed with this delay fir the car kit I'd return the App if I could!

TomTom really missed a golden opportunity with the iPhone.

chrisgpix
Sep 4, 2009, 11:51 PM
And you just KNOW they will blow it even further by slapping a silly price on it! They surely won't go too overboard with the price as they have now lost a huge amount of early customers who have now gone elsewhere, they HAVE to market it cheaply or they might as well pack up and go home. I'll get it for sure at the right price, anything above $100nz (about 70$US) and I'll go elsewhere.

ChromeAce
Sep 5, 2009, 09:14 AM
TomTom probably read my criticism on this site about how silly the cradle design is (by requiring a Bluetooth connection from the phone to the cradle even though it already sits INSIDE the cradle) and are trying to fix it before production. On the other hand, it's probably too late for that.

t0yswar
Sep 5, 2009, 03:11 PM
TomTom, before the release of the 2nd gen iPhone, the 3G, was a renowned name.
Announcing they can do it for the 3G, then making their customers having to wait for 3GS launch, then take few month to release the app, then announce the car kit...

Let's wait a few months and TomTom will become Tomboy and bye bye head of communication, too late for the Apple community.

Edunwody
Sep 5, 2009, 04:34 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

Again.

Just tell me how much do it cost.

Limlin
Sep 6, 2009, 04:13 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

Just tell me how much do it cost.

I also care about the price.

rstone3
Sep 6, 2009, 08:23 AM
TomTom probably read my criticism on this site about how silly the cradle design is (by requiring a Bluetooth connection from the phone to the cradle even though it already sits INSIDE the cradle) and are trying to fix it before production. On the other hand, it's probably too late for that.

Yep...I'm sure that is exactly what happened:rolleyes:

Revival Cr8tive
Sep 6, 2009, 02:24 PM
And you just KNOW they will blow it even further by slapping a silly price on it! They surely won't go too overboard with the price as they have now lost a huge amount of early customers who have now gone elsewhere, they HAVE to market it cheaply or they might as well pack up and go home. I'll get it for sure at the right price, anything above $100nz (about 70$US) and I'll go elsewhere.

The price better be reasonable otherwise there could be a storm of bad publicity, especially if the app doesn't work better.

Totally agree with you.

Does anyone know why the standard Maps iPhone App doesn't follow your location as your car is driving?

Mr. Gates
Sep 6, 2009, 11:08 PM
Navigon : 1 came out first *
2 Better interface
3 cradle will come out first and be better ( fingers crossed)

TomTom: FailFail

* ( actually G-Map was first, even before 3.0)

Limlin
Sep 7, 2009, 01:20 AM
The price better be reasonable otherwise there could be a storm of bad publicity, especially if the app doesn't work better.

Totally agree with you.

Does anyone know why the standard Maps iPhone App doesn't follow your location as your car is driving?

Time delaying? It's something about GPS signals?:confused:

Kestrel452
Sep 9, 2009, 11:58 AM
Before I start bashing anyone, could someone WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT please answer this question?

I know that the TomTom cradle has it's own integrated GPS chip and also works with 3rd party applications that use GPS as well thus allowing the iPod Touch to act as a navigation device. Will the Navigon cradle have all these features?

:apple:

Jape
Sep 9, 2009, 12:38 PM
actually it is rumored that the car kit that navigon is making will only be an iphone holder, and presumably it will come with a car charger. I believe it was also said that they will be releasing another car kit later on that does have a gps chip

mikes63737
Sep 9, 2009, 08:01 PM

It does for me... (I have a 3GS)

(I'm not actually looking at it when I'm driving, either it's the passenger, or I'm on a train)

Revival Cr8tive
Sep 10, 2009, 03:36 AM
Time delaying? It's something about GPS signals?:confused:

It does for me... (I have a 3GS)

(I'm not actually looking at it when I'm driving, either it's the passenger, or I'm on a train)

Thanks for getting back to me.

I have 32GB 3G S too. The blue dot that sends out the sonar like signal seems to move across the screen, then when it gets to the edge it goes off the screen and the map doesn't move with it.... Can anyone else confirm that this is an issue with the Maps Application?

Or do your maps moves move with your signal becon?

Confusing. Seems pointless to not have the map move with the Signal...

Gizmo 76
Sep 10, 2009, 04:44 AM
Make sure the 'Locate Me' button in the bottom left hand corner is lit up blue, then it will keep you central of the map, and as you have a 3GS if you click the button again it will align the map using the compass as well, so it's facing forwards.

Sir1
Sep 10, 2009, 05:40 AM
I also care about the price.

It's announced to be in the $200 area!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, Navigon are roumered to release a mount with a built-in gps-chip following the first one without.

Revival Cr8tive
Sep 10, 2009, 08:30 AM
It's announced to be in the $200 area!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, Navigon are roumered to release a mount with a built-in gps-chip following the first one without.

Umm where is the price announced?

Revival Cr8tive
Sep 10, 2009, 08:54 AM
Make sure the 'Locate Me' button in the bottom left hand corner is lit up blue, then it will keep you central of the map, and as you have a 3GS if you click the button again it will align the map using the compass as well, so it's facing forwards.

Ok cool. I will try that the next time I go out. I thought I already had but carn't hurt to give it another go.

Trying to see if I can use maps instead of buying CoPilot or TomTom.

Sir1
Sep 11, 2009, 03:25 AM
Umm where is the price announced?

I've seen it several places. Most importantly though: I've talked to TomTom Support Denmark who says it'll cost around 1000 DKR (which is about $200). Also, you can preorder it at handtec.co.uk for £130 (also in the $200 region).
Regards,
Søren

Revival Cr8tive
Sep 11, 2009, 04:02 AM
I've seen it several places. Most importantly though: I've talked to TomTom Support Denmark who says it'll cost around 1000 DKR (which is about $200). Also, you can preorder it at handtec.co.uk for £130 (also in the $200 region).
Regards,
Søren

If your referring to this

http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/2126/tomtom-for-iphone-mount

Then there is no way I am paying £113 for mount.

Its completely a joke to expect people to pay that when third party's will release a craddle soon for a third of the price!

Sir1
Sep 11, 2009, 05:16 AM
If your referring to this

http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/2126/tomtom-for-iphone-mount

Then there is no way I am paying £113 for mount.

Its completely a joke to expect people to pay that when third party's will release a craddle soon for a third of the price!

True, "only" £113. Sorry about that.

Remember, though, that the cradle has built-in speaker, microphone, a gps-chip for improved reception, and all leads are connected to the cradle so you only have to dock your iPhone and you're good to go. No hazzle with connecting cables, and you get line-out to your car stereo. The built quality will probably also be a lot better than most 3rd party mounts, I guess.
For comparison: The only dock that I know of that has all cables connected is still $130 (Carcomm CMIC-102).

Even so, I, for one, still think it's very expensive - especially considering how costly (and "crippled" compared to TomTom Navigator) the app is.

Regards,
Søren

dado1
Sep 12, 2009, 04:54 PM
that could be interesting app

eliranh55
Sep 13, 2009, 06:55 AM
TomTom really missed a golden opportunity with the iPhone.

-----------------------------------------------
Eliran Hadar,
Need a Photoshop work? you can contact me at:
e0542797200@gmail.com

Internet Phone With Free Voip Call (http://www.vphonet.com)

Veinticinco
Sep 14, 2009, 10:23 AM
I can't remember another episode where a manufacturer/product/brand to which I was so loyal previously has in such a short space of time (due to a combination of their marketing ineptitude and early exposure to a competitor) led me to unceremoniously dump said manufacturer, and defect to the opposition.

TomTom are now dead to me. I'm now a fully-paid up Navigon convert, and will extend that to hardware (mount) when the time comes. I suspect I'm not alone in that experience over this "summer".