PDA

View Full Version : RealOne for Mac OS X

arn
Jul 17, 2002, 06:07 AM
Real released (http://www.real.com/realone/mac/index.html) a beta for Real One Player for Mac OS X today.

RealOne Player for 0S X Minimum System Requirements:

- Mac* OS X (10.1 or higher)
- 128 MB RAM
- G3, G4, Mac OS X compatible
- 28.8kbps modem Internet Connection
- Browser support: Microsoft* Internet Explorer* 5.1 or later or Netscape* 6.2[/i]

dsamsa
Jul 17, 2002, 06:25 AM
OMG! FIRST POST! I'ma go D/L it RIGHT NOW! brb!

JupiterZen
Jul 17, 2002, 06:55 AM
Okay ... my maidenpost om macrumors .. here goes nothing :)

I was just wondering after reading this news ... Is there actually anybody out there that wants to install this piece of crap software???

The old players were a crappy port of the Windows versions, which brought stupid *.dll files to my mac. And the Real One player for windows doesn't even let you install it without phoning home.

And every other streaming format I've seen has had better quality ... but more importantly ... the ability so convert to other formats.

Am I to paranoid and/or to prejudiced? Or are there others out there that rather not install anything Real.

JupiterZen.

dsamsa
Jul 17, 2002, 06:55 AM
hmm... looks nice. Seems to work fine. Why is this a beta?

redAPPLE
Jul 17, 2002, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by JupiterZen

I was just wondering after reading this news ... Is there actually anybody out there that wants to install this piece of crap software???

The old players were a crappy port of the Windows versions, which brought stupid *.dll files to my mac. And the Real One player for windows doesn't even let you install it without phoning home.

And every other streaming format I've seen has had better quality ... but more importantly ... the ability so convert to other formats.

Am I to paranoid and/or to prejudiced? Or are there others out there that rather not install anything Real.

JupiterZen.

greetings.

Look at the post before you. ;)

Welcome.

JupiterZen
Jul 17, 2002, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by redAPPLE

greetings.

Look at the post before you. ;)

Welcome.

Seems to be somebody indeed :) ... boggles my mind. Really !!!

I've been living without a Real player for as long as I can remember, and I never had the urgent need to install it.

The only things I can't watch are the stupid very low quality pieces of newsfootage on a news site (http://www.nu.nl/) here in the Netherlands. But as I have seen the advertising before and after the "Real" ;) news clips are longer that the clip itself.

Anyone know of something unmissable only found in realplayer format?

;-)

backspinner
Jul 17, 2002, 08:24 AM
Anybody any idea why Real calls OS X 0S X, that is zero-S X ????

mattevil
Jul 17, 2002, 08:41 AM
Quint here,
I remember bringing this up yesterday and nobody knew if it was in development and now i'm downloading it. i'm just glad i can finally play those simpsons episodes i've had for years

iwantanewmac
Jul 17, 2002, 08:50 AM
Me don't want no stinky realplayer on my mac :)
seriously, I think it's a piece of crap.

MhzDoesMatter
Jul 17, 2002, 10:59 AM
But putting aside past troubles with real, the real format exists out there and rivals quicktime. There is obviously content out there that Quicktime doesn't have because QT is very limited. And the RealOne subscription may seem like trash to us, but aparently 750,000 people think its worth it. Odds are there are some MacUsers who will, too. I downloaded seconds after the story was posted. I'd rather err on the side of being too prepared, than caught off guard because of prejudice.

Hertz...they do

drastik
Jul 17, 2002, 11:20 AM
I'll use it, but only for audio. I hate real too, but a lot of sites use it to sample music you might want to buy. They video is craptastic, but the audio is pretty good.;)

etoiles
Jul 17, 2002, 12:09 PM
now I can listen to audio samples on Amazon using my mac...amaaaaaaazing ;)

Hemingray
Jul 17, 2002, 01:47 PM
For those of you who don't feel like going through Real's register crap (as I didn't), here's the link directly to the download:

http://seattle-dl.real.com/1739a95a59a3ade12517/mac/RealOnePlayerOSX.sit

kainjow
Jul 17, 2002, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by etoiles
now I can listen to audio samples on Amazon using my mac...amaaaaaaazing ;)
Exactly. That's why I've been waiting so long for this software. It's quite nice actually. Probably 2nd best to iTunes in interface for a Carbon app I've ever seen (Windows Media Player's interface is OK, but RealOne Player's is must better). So I'm quite happy with it. Stop complaining. It looks a lot better then RealOne for Windows or any other OS so they look like they're pretty committed to the Mac. I give them an A+

big
Jul 17, 2002, 02:44 PM
Quicktime should just play all REAL files

wdnx
Jul 17, 2002, 02:45 PM
JupiterZen wrote:

;-)

Absolutely. Broadcasts of Cleveland Browns preseason football games. Thank god I don't have to boot into OS9 to listen to them this fall.

hvfsl
Jul 17, 2002, 02:47 PM
Real Player One runs high bitrate video so much better than Quicktime. Real Player One runs with out any frame loss of my PBG4 550, but QT6 and MPEG4 does not. The Real Codec 9 also offers better compression and quality than MPEG 4 (which real player one also supports).

I can now watch all the TV programmes I recorded to real video on my PC.

beatle888
Jul 17, 2002, 05:49 PM
its not working for me.....i have to boot classic to play
real player files on the web....shooot.
It starts but then immediatly stops.....oh well

sparkleytone
Jul 17, 2002, 06:07 PM
its working for me just fine and i must say...real has their shizz together on this client. its fast, small, and gets out of the way. also, maybe its just me but im impressed with the quality. i gave up real a long time ago because it was so bad. it seems that it has grown leaps and bounds of late.

burningwheel
Jul 17, 2002, 06:27 PM
anyone know of program for os x that can snag real files? i can do it on my wife's pc but i'm getting tired of that

any freeware programs that will allow me to record what i'm listening to?

IJ Reilly
Jul 17, 2002, 08:30 PM
Try resizing the window when video is playing. :mad:

Well, the good thing is, OSX can take the hit and keep on ticking.

tedson
Jul 17, 2002, 08:54 PM
If you want to use this to watch the Big Brother 24/7 stream forget it, it crashes every time. :(

ShaolinMiddleFinger
Jul 17, 2002, 11:32 PM
i'll download it when I have to, otherwise, it's no big news for me. Quicktime seems to be the one I was really looking for

mec
Jul 18, 2002, 02:48 AM
For me it's worth loading the RealPlayer for "The Daily Feed" at http://www.dailyfeed.com/Latest_Feeds.html
One less reason to use classic.

-mec

whitegold
Jul 18, 2002, 04:02 AM
Forget Microsoft, they're just greedy. Real corp. are the ones in league with the devil. Real software has historically been the most destructive, appalling and invasive pieces of spyware.

Their software is terrible. Everynow and then I see a video clip or stream I think it might be worth installing real player for.

It never is.

Real Player One is the WORST so far. Less cluttered interface is the only thing going for it. "Tighter OS integration" actually means impossible to uninstall and takes over your computer.

Don't download this. Real are evil.

guiglio
Jul 18, 2002, 09:04 AM
I've been waiting for this program for a long time - and Real did a pretty good job. It runs well, looks okay and doesn't install a *****load of files everywhere. I was actually surprised how clean Real made this installation - just expand and run.

QT is great and so is this version of Real Player, so I'm happy.

MS Media Player is the evil one to avoid.

transistor
Jul 20, 2002, 01:05 AM
Well, downloaded it and works fine with Explorer, Netscape and Mozilla.
Not working with OmniWeb :(

Does anyone know if RealMedia is the only media for SMILs?
That's why I use it, SMIL has nice features I haven't seen in other.

bunton
Jul 25, 2002, 12:22 PM
what a peice of **** worse than a gay ass ram

LimeiBook86
Jul 25, 2002, 12:48 PM
I think it's great! No more booting up classic when I want to view a RealPlayer file, although I wish Quicktime could read those files and convert streaming video to a .MOV file so you can view them offline. Oh well I guess it's a start :o

big
Jul 25, 2002, 01:12 PM
>no more booting into OS9

yeah, that's nice, I don't like REAL, though not all the material is covered in Quicktime, I'd love to see a quicktime patch for REAL, I'd Pay for it too!

ponyboy
Jul 25, 2002, 01:20 PM

;-)

http://www.hiphopinfinity.com

JamesDP
Jul 25, 2002, 01:24 PM
I don't know if it does the same thing in OS X (since I'm not technically a Mac user yet ), but when I had Real Player One on my PC, it not only hijacked all of my file associations even when I told it not to, but it took over as the default program for audio CDs and it could not be changed. The worst was I had to have it for a period of time when I was doing an online radio show, but as soon as I quit doing the show, Real Player was gone, and thankfully so.

bunton
Jul 26, 2002, 10:14 AM
I deleted the new realone after two days it sucks, how it uses the download manager it is horrible, either quicktime or WMP is the way here, real is so fake.

bunton
Jul 26, 2002, 10:58 AM
Realone player aint a fun player
cant even play music like listen to slayer
If realone got any gayyer
they would make us pay her
like steve jobs and how he robs
now all the macrumorers sobs

Random rap 2002 BS

homeshire
Jul 26, 2002, 12:38 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JupiterZen
[B]

Um, yes. I listen to German internet radio daily through realplayer. Something I cannot do with iTunes. My life would feel very much more impoverished without German radio to listen to. It all makes Real pretty important to me. Is Real my only choice? I don't know, but there it is. ciao.

bousozoku
Jul 26, 2002, 08:34 PM

JupiterZen.

Yes...both!

It works better than version 8 does on Mac OS 9.x and looks great. There were the usual dialup issues with data not arriving soon enough for the buffer but, not bad at all.

It won't be my main media player, but there are times when I need it and I think it will be fine.

bousozoku
Jul 26, 2002, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by bunton
Realone player aint a fun player
cant even play music like listen to slayer
If realone got any gayyer
they would make us pay her
like steve jobs and how he robs
now all the macrumorers sobs

Random rap 2002 BS

I hope you didn't hurt yourself.