PDA

View Full Version : Cell phones heading into iPod territory

MacBytes
Jul 1, 2004, 09:00 PM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Cell phones heading into iPod territory (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040701220048)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

mainstreetmark
Jul 2, 2004, 09:15 AM
The appetites of music companies have been whetted by the near-$4 billion worldwide ring tone market

I'd like to see some numbers to backup that claim. That seems very friggin high.

bennetsaysargh
Jul 3, 2004, 08:21 PM
you can't tell people, "oh, while you're making nyour new song, can you make a shorter version for the cell phones?"
that to me is stupid.

space2go
Jul 4, 2004, 05:49 AM
you can't tell people, "oh, while you're making nyour new song, can you make a shorter version for the cell phones?"
that to me is stupid.

IIRC it is not done that way. Rather people specialiced on that take the normal song and turn it into a ringtone with about zero influence of the creator(s).

Oh and about that 4 billion figure. At least in Europe they generally cost about 4 apiece and the kids are buying them as if the end were near.
A total ripoff but until the kids get it the next generation is ready to buy. :(

mkrishnan
Jul 4, 2004, 07:58 AM
Does anyone here listen to MP3s on a smartphone? If so, what's the battery life like? I was asking my friend who uses an iPaq for music and his estimate was that it does not provide a very long battery life -- 4-6 hours, but he had not measured it carefully. I was wondering if it is the same for phones (or for that matter, if anyone else here uses a PDA that way)? I would think this would be a big concern of trying to take over iPod functionality in phones....

bennetsaysargh
Jul 4, 2004, 09:35 AM
Michael Nash, a senior vice president at Warner Music, says his company is already in discussions with its constituent labels about having studio producers create mobile mixes--such as the abbreviated 90-second or two-minute versions of songs used by T-Mobile-type download services--at the same time as the full versions of songs are created.

well sorry about that space2go, i guess i didn't read it right at first. the artists dont have to do anything, but i would hate to make a song, and have it shortened. meh, the things that people do to make money these days.

space2go
Jul 5, 2004, 11:33 AM
well sorry about that space2go, i guess i didn't read it right at first. the artists dont have to do anything, but i would hate to make a song, and have it shortened. meh, the things that people do to make money these days.

Yup. I guess the next step is studios telling the artists "You can't do that kind of thing; it won't work for a ringtone." or even worse "We have that popular ringtone, make it an album.".
*shakes head*