Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fraser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Got myself a 1st Generation touch a few months back and ahead of a few flights tomorrow decided to put some apps on it. Didn't realise I needed to update the firmware to work apps so paid for that.

The system went through the update/backup process and I left it to it. There was a thin bar underneath the Apple logo which had built up to about half way across when it seemed to quit on me and not respond to anything.

I held down the home button and the one on the back and it blinked and the Apple logo came back but nothing seems work on the unit itself.

However, when I connect the unit to the computer and start iTunes it syncs up very quickly noting the sync is complete OK to disconnect. I can't get any sense out of the Touch though.

I've got it all connected again, currently iTunes tells me the sync is complete, but the unit has the progress bar which looks about 20% done. As it moved so slowly I'm not sure whether or not it is actually doing anything though.

Anyone have this happen to them? I wasn't sure whether using the 'Restore' option would help and whether it would wipe the firmware update I've just paid for along with the apps.

Any insight would be great and would like to have an iPod touch that doesn't operate in just paperweight mode for my flights tomorrow. :)

Fraser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Thanks. :)

I've been mucking around with it for sometime, reading other threads and things. I got to the stage where iTunes said it had to restore. I've just started doing that. Let's see how that goes.

Fraser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
OK, so I went ahead and restored it, I then went to sleep and let it put all the apps and music from my library back onto it.

I woke up just now and iTunes said the sync was complete, but the screen on the ipod showed the progress bar partially filled. I held down the home key and one on the back again to reset it. The Apple logo showed for a bit and then the progress bar showed up just underneath it again, partially filled as before. :(

jmann

macrumors 604
OK, so I went ahead and restored it, I then went to sleep and let it put all the apps and music from my library back onto it.

I woke up just now and iTunes said the sync was complete, but the screen on the ipod showed the progress bar partially filled. I held down the home key and one on the back again to reset it. The Apple logo showed for a bit and then the progress bar showed up just underneath it again, partially filled as before. :(

Put the phone into DFU Mode or Recovery Mode, and then do a restore in iTunes.

lellaa

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2009
I had the exact same problem
It didnt work for about 3 days and after calling Apple about 3 times, one suggestion worked.
I restored it on another computer [without backing up the files, because the files are on the origional computer]
Then after that I restarted it as a New iPod, not an existing one.
WHen I put it back on my original computer all I had to do was rename it and all that.
It synced perfectly normal and it had the new update.

Fraser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Update for those who may find this by searching...

I solved the problem by updating to the most recent version of iTunes and then formatting the iPod back to factory settings. A connect and a sync and all was well!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.