PDA

View Full Version : WiFi antenna orientation for max. coverage

Ryan1524
Jul 2, 2004, 01:09 AM
i read somewhere once that certain arrangements or orientation of the antenna can change how it covers areas. certain orientation can make it go high in a cylinder, while others can make it go thin and wide like a pie or saucer shape. is this true? and if so, what are the orientations?? i've been searching for it with no results.

thx.

garybUK
Jul 2, 2004, 02:37 AM
I beleive that the antenna's if omni-directional are doughnut shaped in the radio field, and if directional is a cone shape.

i dont beleive phystical plasement of the atenna will affect its output field, unless there are objects to defract / refract the signal.

Ryan1524
Jul 2, 2004, 10:43 AM
it's doughnut if omnidirectional?? i thought it's supposed to be bubble if omniderectional - with slight dropout in signal when it gets too close to the antenna (overshooting).

i heard that for bases with two antennas, having them straight vertical, or pointing each other ( / \ ) or away from each other ( \ / ), or flat/parallel to ground can have different effects on the coverage.

anybody know more about this..or if they're true at all?

smllpx
Jul 2, 2004, 11:35 AM
RF antenna design is somewhat a voodoo science, there are programs that are aimed at helping design antennas, but there is still the need to actually build and test them. I would say, try a couple different things until you find what works in your environment. Relatively speaking, I have found higher is generally better, this could have to do with more stuff on the floors to cause interference. YMMV

MrSugar
Jul 2, 2004, 01:10 PM
In relevance to your overshooting point. I had a question, I have a G5 about 15 ft from a base station, I get no reception from that base station with my wireless antenna plugged in to my G5. As soon as I take it out I get a little over half reception.

could I be doing what you called "overshooting" here? or no?

Ryan1524
Jul 3, 2004, 10:53 PM
In relevance to your overshooting point. I had a question, I have a G5 about 15 ft from a base station, I get no reception from that base station with my wireless antenna plugged in to my G5. As soon as I take it out I get a little over half reception.

could I be doing what you called "overshooting" here? or no?

seems like it. that's what i understand to be overshooting anyway. a drop-off in signal strength when you get too close, since the antenna basically 'shoots' the signal farther than you location. kinda like a lens' focal length.