PDA

View Full Version : Apple shares plummet in after-hours trading on iMac delay ne...

MacBytes
Jul 2, 2004, 01:12 AM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Apple shares plummet in after-hours trading on iMac delay news (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040702021217)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

nagromme
Jul 2, 2004, 01:18 AM
Or you could just wait and sell in SEPTEMBER ;) Just a thought.

ITR 81
Jul 2, 2004, 02:15 AM
Or you could just wait and sell in SEPTEMBER ;) Just a thought.

Yep or wait until after iTMS opens in more countries by Oct.

Either way it should go back up again once the next gen iPods and iMacs are released. Hell it will probably even go up some once the hPods are released from HP.

I wonder if the hPod and the next gen iPod will be released at the sametime.

nagromme
Jul 2, 2004, 03:18 AM
I wondered that too--maybe all along the plan was for the hPod to be the OLD iPod, and therefore cheaper, after Apple moves on to a new one! Weird, but it could work OK for HP.

If that's not the plan, then it would be even weirder for HP iPods to come out this late--and then new Apple iPods to make it obsolete and overpriced soon after. (I'm only guessing than new iPods will come out this summer, sooner or later.)

Then again, if something hasn't worked out the way both parties wanted, Apple could instead let HP sell a blue version of the NEW iPod, and just never ship the blue old one they've shown.

Nermal
Jul 2, 2004, 04:14 AM
With HP selling hPods, it wouldn't surprise me to see a deal where HP can also sell hMacs. I know that it's been done before, but that was years ago. I'm not expecting it to happen, but it won't surprise me if it does.

slipper
Jul 2, 2004, 05:36 AM
I wish they would plan these things a little better cause this is all at the expense of my stock. There is no doubt the iMacs shouldve been updated at WWDC or sooner. Then apples stock gets slammed. After realizing their mistake, apple makes an explaination on their web sight explaining that the iMacs will be released in sept. But their stocks plummet even more because they made a genius decision to cancel all sales of the iMacs until then! Sure they need to run down inventory but to cancel ALL sales, this is a madhouse!

CMYanko
Jul 2, 2004, 06:36 AM
These types of glithes are excellent buy opportunities as the target price of $39 is still valid.

eric_n_dfw
Jul 2, 2004, 08:30 AM
We'll see when the markets open, but a $2 drop is not exactly a "plummet" in my books. Truth be told, I hope it does drop below $28 again as that's where I cashed out my shares in April. Then I can buy in again as the hype for the new iMac ramps up! :D

nagromme
Jul 2, 2004, 09:07 AM
The problem is very likely a 90nm issue faced by IBM--and Intel too.

zimv20
Jul 2, 2004, 10:45 AM
it's falling because the developers' conference is over. buy the rumor, sell the news. the news was the june conferences and the time to sell was 2 weeks ago.

pivo6
Jul 2, 2004, 10:54 AM
it's falling because the developers' conference is over. buy the rumor, sell the news. the news was the june conferences and the time to sell was 2 weeks ago.

Absolutely agree. The whole tech sector is currently taking a hit, so Apple share price going down shouldn't be unexpected.

Ask a stockbroker and he/she will tell you that it's now time to "average your cost down." ;)

If you believe in the company and where it's headed, buy while it's down and hold for awhile.

PlaceofDis
Jul 2, 2004, 11:34 AM
if i had some extra money i would buy into the stock now, but oh well, ill still follow apple because they are one of the most interesting companies out there and i like their products too :p

LFrascogna
Jul 2, 2004, 12:53 PM
I don't know how much time it takes to develop a new product, but surely if they are "shipping" in september they are pretty close to a final product, probably gearing up to start producing them, or at least in the final stages of production. Why didn't they do what they did with the G5 and announce it months in advance.

They could have announced it and said simply shipping in September, Hell, they announced Tiger almost a year in advance. This just seems like a really poorly planned move, the only thing I can imagine is they have no clue on final specs, and are completely out of old iMacs. If this is truly the case then it would be miraculous to see a new iMac in September.

The G5 was announced 3 months before shipping, the Xserve longer. Tiger, 7+ months in advance, why couldn't we have seen pictures at WWDC, and saved the stock.

First rule of a business manager, maximize earnings for shareholders. C'mon steve that is first semester microecon.

montex
Jul 3, 2004, 12:31 PM
Summer is the worst time to buy a mac anyway. Why would anyone want a new iMac right now when a new model was is 2 months away? I would tell anyone in the market for a new iMac to just wait and get the new one - it's likely to have a G5 processor, a new look and cost the same as the discontinued model. Two months is not an eternity.

BTW, thanks Apple for the new monitors, but I'm still waiting for the G5 styled keyboard and mouse...