PDA

View Full Version : Apple finally own up to and agree to fix hinge issues!

JamesBerry
Sep 4, 2009, 04:03 AM
We all knew it was a design fault. Now they have tacidly admitted it!

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2948

Symptoms

Learn what you can do if you experience one or more of these issues with the hinges on your MacBook Air.

* Unable to close lid completely.
* Broken or cracked plastic near one or both of the hinges.
* More than one inch (2.54cm) of free play while opening or closing the lid.
* Lid falls freely into closed position from a 30-degree open position. (From a closed position, open the lid approximately 30 degrees and let go.)

Products Affected
MacBook Air

Resolution

You can take your MacBook Air to an Apple-Authorized Service Provider or Apple Retail Store for evaluation and repair if necessary, even if your product is out of warranty.

If you previously paid for a repair for hinge-related issues that were not caused by accidental damage, you may be eligible for a refund. Contact Apple for more information.

Tifosi Red
Sep 4, 2009, 06:08 AM
That is great to hear. I've had no significant problem but it is nice to know a safety net of sorts exists. This could allay fears when reselling too...

Tif

timsutcliffe
Sep 4, 2009, 06:30 AM
That's great news. Mine is well on the way to having the 2.54cm of free play. It's good to know that i'll be able to get it sorted if it gets worse, even if it's out of warranty.

duky
Sep 4, 2009, 07:04 AM
This is pretty great. Especially the part that says that if you previously had to pay to have it fixed they will give you a refund because I know a friend who was forced to pay $600 to fix this.

Veinticinco
Sep 4, 2009, 08:13 AM
Good news...

Next up, the crappy display lines issue please :rolleyes:

tim100
Sep 4, 2009, 08:44 AM
That is great to hear. I've had no significant problem but it is nice to know a safety net of sorts exists. This could allay fears when reselling too...

Tif

How do you like your set up a 17 mbp and an air?

Mactagonist
Sep 4, 2009, 09:41 AM
More than one inch (2.54cm) of free play while opening or closing the lid.

Is this referring to wiggle while open, or something else?

mac jones
Sep 4, 2009, 12:14 PM
this is great news!

I was even reluctant to sell mine as i don't have much faith in the hinge and I can't expect everyone to treat it with kit gloves.

But with this it's like a very nice extended warranty.

thanks for the link!

note: the hinge must be truly defective ;)

JamesBerry
Sep 4, 2009, 01:03 PM
I pick up my fixed one from apple tomorrow... dropped it by the store before this was dated but they didn't argue at all when I took it in.

adamjackson
Sep 4, 2009, 03:01 PM
Awesomeness!

Mine is brand new and working great. have applecare but I'm glad to see Apple stepping up on this.

slapguts
Sep 4, 2009, 03:17 PM
Great news. I'm starting to notice a slight wobble. I have AppleCare, but still. Good to know.

ryan.hayes79
Sep 4, 2009, 06:57 PM
This is good news. I had a rev A and sold it before I had any issues but was developing play in the hinge.

zedsdead
Sep 4, 2009, 08:05 PM
Good start, when are they gonna fix the line issue.

Scottsdale
Sep 4, 2009, 08:35 PM
I am glad Apple has owned up to this. Also nice to read all of those who wrongly had to pay are eligible for refunds.

I have never personally seen the problem. But I am glad to know coverage is available if needed.

Takuta-Nui
Sep 4, 2009, 08:41 PM
Well done. Now if Rev.D has better hinges and a lineless screen, then I just may resell my uMB and get an Air.

Here's to hoping!

But it is actually very encouraging and commendable that they've owned up to such serious flaws, and are even offering reimbursement for past repairs. Now that's the kind of customer service I'd expect.

three
Sep 5, 2009, 12:42 PM
Is this referring to wiggle while open, or something else?

When the screen can't hold it's position standing up, it just falls.

Scottsdale
Sep 5, 2009, 01:40 PM
When the screen can't hold it's position standing up, it just falls.

How often is it caused by people pushing the screen back too far? It really doesn't go back far enough, and I have read people here stating they intentionally snapped it so it would go bac farther. I also wonder if those plastic Speck cases are too heavy for the hinges?

I agree that there have been a few reports of the hinge failing during normal use. But I wonder how many broke the hinge accidentally by pushing back too far or using a hard case on it?

Another thing is I have only read about the original MBAs doing this. However the article doesn't specify that newer revisions aren't affected? I wonder if Apple changed the hinge for the 2,1 changes? Or is this an issue that will affect newer units after use?

If I think about it, I have maybe read five to ten cases of this happening. I wonder how big/small of a problem this truly is?

I certainly haven't ever had any play in the three models I have had. I sorta laughed yesterday when I read a post and the poster stated how the hinge was a factor in his/her decision... LOL. The best part was this poster said the hinge design is 100x better in the 13" MBP. I really find this funny as someone would be so concerned and state the hinge was designed "100x" better in the MBP. I wonder how scientific this assesment was? LMAO. I wonder what goes through someone's mind to decide the 13" MBP has a 100x better hinge design and therefore he/she would buy the MBP over the MBA. Let's face it, there aren't a lot of reports of broken hinges. In health we would consider this a hypochondriac. What would it be referred to in the case of over assumption that a hinge will fail on an MBA? I just really find this absurd as a reason to select a MBP. I find it even more absurd that one would come up with a number of 100x better of hinge in a MBP.

I mean the failure rate of the hinge in the MBA may be like 1 in 1000??? What are the odds one would become ill with cancer or some health condition -certainly greater than 1 in 10. My point is this has to be a pretty serious concern for this poster to give it merit to claim it's 100x worse in the MBA than it is in the MBP.

King t.
Sep 5, 2009, 02:45 PM
I mean the failure rate of the hinge in the MBA may be like 1 in 1000??? What are the odds one would become ill with cancer or some health condition -certainly greater than 1 in 10. My point is this has to be a pretty serious concern for this poster to give it merit to claim it's 100x worse in the MBA than it is in the MBP.

sorry have to correct u there, i have owned 5 MBA's and 3 of them had hinge problems. and the last one was a 2,13ghz model, that's the reason i sold it and went back to a unibody MB.

but i would consider buying the MBA rec:C 2,13ghz now again, since apple has acknowledged the hinge problem :)

Scottsdale
Sep 5, 2009, 03:55 PM
sorry have to correct u there, i have owned 5 MBA's and 3 of them had hinge problems. and the last one was a 2,13ghz model, that's the reason i sold it and went back to a unibody MB.

but i would consider buying the MBA rec:C 2,13ghz now again, since apple has acknowledged the hinge problem :)

First, you're not correcting me. My experiences are mine not yours.

Are you one of these people that snaps the display lid back farther?

I honestly don't believe anyone who says they broke three of them? Or is it just not as tight as you would prefer?

I have had three MBAs, and used/tried out maybe 45 others. I have NEVER seen a broken hinge nor heard of one of my friends having a broken hinge on their MBA.

So, I definitely think we are talking user error in your case... LMAO

King t.
Sep 5, 2009, 05:52 PM
First, you're not correcting me. My experiences are mine not yours.

Are you one of these people that snaps the display lid back farther?

I honestly don't believe anyone who says they broke three of them? Or is it just not as tight as you would prefer?

I have had three MBAs, and used/tried out maybe 45 others. I have NEVER seen a broken hinge nor heard of one of my friends having a broken hinge on their MBA.

So, I definitely think we are talking user error in your case... LMAO

ok case i misunderstood your statement, I thought u were speaking in general^^

anyways i'm not one of those who snapped the display back. and i also did not have any totally broken hinges. the problem by mine where always factory failures, which also was acknowledge by Apple support. that's why they refunded my money and i was able to uy a unibiody MB again. they gave me 3 defective MBA's in a row and all of them had issues with the hinge! with my first 2 MBA's which were REV:A i never had any issue with the hinge!

so it's not USER ERROR, it's a manufacturer ERROR ;)

Scottsdale
Sep 5, 2009, 06:17 PM
ok case i misunderstood your statement, I thought u were speaking in general^^

anyways i'm not one of those who snapped the display back. and i also did not have any totally broken hinges. the problem by mine where always factory failures, which also was acknowledge by Apple support. that's why they refunded my money and i was able to uy a unibiody MB again. they gave me 3 defective MBA's in a row and all of them had issues with the hinge! with my first 2 MBA's which were REV:A i never had any issue with the hinge!

so it's not USER ERROR, it's a manufacturer ERROR ;)

So all three (of five) in a row (?) had faulty hinges which Apple acknowledged because out of the box the lid was too loose for normal use?

I agree Apple's quality control can be rather poor and they do ship poorly functioning units. It's hard for me to believe we have similar expectations about how tight a lid should be because I have never used/tested an MBA with loose hinge(s).

Perhaps they were all three in the same shipment and the installer didn't tighten properly or put them on incorrectly???

King t.
Sep 5, 2009, 08:40 PM
So all three (of five) in a row (?) had faulty hinges which Apple acknowledged because out of the box the lid was too loose for normal use?

I agree Apple's quality control can be rather poor and they do ship poorly functioning units. It's hard for me to believe we have similar expectations about how tight a lid should be because I have never used/tested an MBA with loose hinge(s).

Perhaps they were all three in the same shipment and the installer didn't tighten properly or put them on incorrectly???

well the hinges weren't too loose, but all of the 3 MBA's hinges were rubbing on the aluminum of the case, which caused a weird rubbing sound like "metal on metal" :(

And that from 3 out of 3 MBA's and the last one with 2,13ghz had that hinge problem plus the lines. that was the finale which made me say good bye MBA for now.

But don't get me wrong, I love the MBA, for me it's the best mac out there due to it's ultraportability and as soon as they fixed the hinge and line problem, that's when i'll be switching back to one again. maybe even sooner if i find a flawless machine :)

MBA-MD
Sep 9, 2009, 04:19 PM
Just sent mine in for repair.

Do you guys know if they replace the hinges or give you a new laptop? I heard the new generation does not have this problem.

This problem is not caused by pushing it too far back. From the first day the screen had an inch of give. It just got worse and worse. I took it to the Apple store and the guy said it was my fault because I had used a clear case and the case was too heavy. This caused the hinges to become loose.

Then I went to several Apple stores to inquire and of course they all say the same thing: Never heard of anyone with this problem.

Now, there is a clicking like metal on metal sound every time I open the laptop. I think it was a matter of time before it just fell apart.

I will wait to get it back and report.

still in school
Sep 9, 2009, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the heads up! Very relieving to hear!

MBA-MD, keep us updated!

stoconnell
Sep 9, 2009, 07:46 PM
Just sent mine in for repair.

Do you guys know if they replace the hinges or give you a new laptop? I heard the new generation does not have this problem.

I am not speaking from first hand experience, but I believe they replace the panel assembly and possibly the top deck and any other bits as needed. You might want to take a look at the disassembly shots at places like ifixit (http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Air/598/1) or the pinned topic on tearing down a Rev B.

MBA-MD
Sep 11, 2009, 07:24 PM
Ok, I got the MBA back today. The screen is a lot tighter. There is some minor, minor give when you push on the top of the screen at 90 degrees. But from what I have seen most laptops do that.
It looks like they changed the top case where the keyboard sits on. The top cover that encases the screen has not been changed so I am assuming the hinges rested on bottom panel.
This is the list of the items replaced:

Antenna - Enclosure - defective latch/hinge
Magnet - Enclosure - defective latch/hinge
Bezel - Enclosure - defective latch/hinge
Top Case - No Mouse/Trackpad Response
Clutch - Enclosure - defective latch/hinge
Clutch - Enclosure - defective latch/hinge

So far it works well. I am quite happy that Apple finally 'fessed up and stood by their product. I am sure the pressure from the legal community also had something to do with it.

Overall, I am quite happy with the repair.
Thanks

VS007
Sep 15, 2009, 10:24 PM
My hinge broke three days back and it looks exactly like this:
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2009/02/mba-broken-hinge-1.jpg

I took it to AppleStore and they said it is not covered as it has two dents. There is a small peck of a dent on the lid happened a year back and a tiny bend in the lower bottom corner of the screen closer to the broken side of the hinge(LHS one).
Apple tells me these two accidents voids any warranty and AppleCare. I tried telling them that the bend would have happened around six months, and this hinge thing just happened three days back when I was opening the MBA, but to no avail.

Is there any way I can convince them?

Thx

NC MacGuy
Sep 15, 2009, 10:35 PM
^^^ BASTAADS!! I'd try another Apple Store or just send it in to Applecare. Depending on which ******* who you talk to at the store can make a world of difference. Some stink more than others. I've taken things to one store and no way Apple is covering it, take it to another and fixed without question or issue.

Sorry to hear that my *****s must have moved to your store.:p

still in school
Sep 15, 2009, 11:09 PM

I took it to AppleStore and they said it is not covered as it has two dents. There is a small peck of a dent on the lid happened a year back and a tiny bend in the lower bottom corner of the screen closer to the broken side of the hinge(LHS one).
Apple tells me these two accidents voids any warranty and AppleCare. I tried telling them that the bend would have happened around six months, and this hinge thing just happened three days back when I was opening the MBA, but to no avail.

Thx

any pictures of the dents you're talking about? I have a tiny dent on my lid but due to something poking at it while in my backpack.

Go to another store and give it a shot. Better yet, send in your girlfriend!

Gen
Sep 16, 2009, 12:11 AM

Thx

Call Applecare. Take pictures of your MBA and what the dents they claim caused the hinge to break - then kindly asked them how two tiny dents can cause your hinge to fail and break off.

Scottsdale
Sep 16, 2009, 12:41 AM
any pictures of the dents you're talking about? I have a tiny dent on my lid but due to something poking at it while in my backpack.

I definitely agree. My wife gets treated like a Queen at Apple stores. Meanwhile, the one who spends the money, ME THE DUMB SUCKER, gets treated like crap to those arrogant, obnoxious, holier than thou mighty "geniuses."

Send in a woman (girlfriend, wife, mom, mistress - it doesn't matter), and I believe your problems will be covered.

VS007
Sep 16, 2009, 07:32 PM

Here are the shots...
Will try sending my wife in another store and let you guys know.

Thanks

still in school
Sep 17, 2009, 12:38 AM
To be honest, i dont even see the dents...

NC MacGuy
Sep 17, 2009, 08:25 AM
To be honest, i dont even see the dents...

Unfortunately it's right next to the broken hinge on the display corner. That's a rough one. I can see why Apple will give you grief on that.

coast1ja
Sep 17, 2009, 08:45 AM
Finally, Peace of mind!

My Rev A MBA has been wonderful, with very little play in the screen... but the other day I noticed a slight clicking noise when the hinges change direction. it's good to know that if it ever does become a larger issue, apple has it covered. Brilliant!

Mactagonist
Sep 17, 2009, 09:54 AM
Unfortunately it's right next to the broken hinge on the display corner. That's a rough one. I can see why Apple will give you grief on that.

Yeah, it makes it seem as though the hinge broken when something was closed in the display. Dont give up, but understand their position and why they might not believe you.

bossxii
Sep 17, 2009, 08:09 PM
About time! Holy crap.. they finally see the poor design flaw for what it is. At least they will replace the failed ones, and hopefully redesign the MBA to have a much better hinge.

Maybe once they start to get enough of their netbooks back they will make a machine worth paying a premium for.

macmillions12
Sep 19, 2009, 11:08 PM
hinge broke, called applecare, quoted their website case thing, had it fixed and returned for free by friday morning. I love apple.

still in school
Sep 20, 2009, 11:28 AM

ouch I see it now. mine just broke today, hopefully the fix goes smooth...

VS007
Sep 21, 2009, 07:09 PM
NC MacGuy, Still in School, Mactagonist , Scottsdale , Gen,

Guys, great news!!! As per your suggestions over the weekend we went to a different Apple Store at the Garden Plaza mall at Paramus and sent my wife instead.
The Apple Genius guy looked at it mentioned this is a known issue and not to worry about it and will get it fixed soon. I got the call today morning that its all fixed and just came back with a new/refurbished display attached to the laptop with a tight hinge :)

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions!!!!

NC MacGuy
Sep 21, 2009, 10:12 PM
Great success!!

So VS007, the whole dent got fixed too which is a double win. Glad to see it.

I think I'm going to take my Rev.B in this week. Even though it's not broke broke yet, still gotten way sloppy and will close itself from about a 45 angle and flops around when typing. The hinge is the reason I bought the only Applecare ever in 22 years of owning Apple products.

It sucks that things like this are not so black and white. My wife is a technical moron but I guess I could send my 16 year old daughter in to sweet talk them. I always seem to get in a bit of a pissing contest and often argue with myself if no one else is around.

Any hinge/display repairs have resulted in a non-lined MBA display coming back with lines? I wonder if they can do something about my battery too that's only reading 87% capacity.

Mactagonist
Sep 21, 2009, 10:44 PM

Guys, great news!!! As per your suggestions over the weekend we went to a different Apple Store at the Garden Plaza mall at Paramus and sent my wife instead.
The Apple Genius guy looked at it mentioned this is a known issue and not to worry about it and will get it fixed soon. I got the call today morning that its all fixed and just came back with a new/refurbished display attached to the laptop with a tight hinge :)

Glad to hear it! I still have a Rev A here as a backup machine. My girlfriend really just uses it in her lab and for conferences so it doesnt get much wear and tear. However I am sure the hinge will go eventually, and it is nice to know that when it does we can have it fixed right up!

still in school
Sep 22, 2009, 12:06 PM

That's awesome to hear. Mine is still being repaired right now, they had to send it off to a service center.

NC MacGuy
Sep 22, 2009, 09:57 PM
Well I was playing with my Air and trying to decide how floppity my diplay really was and, bam - double jointed! I'm really debating if I want to take it in since I kind of really like this feature:

cheapa55
Sep 22, 2009, 11:41 PM
Well I was playing with my Air and trying to decide how floppity my diplay really was and, bam - double jointed! I'm really debating if I want to take it in since I kind of really like this feature:

haha!!! Great picture. but I agree, I like that feature. :)

Mactagonist
Sep 23, 2009, 10:24 AM

Horrible! :eek:

NC MacGuy
Sep 24, 2009, 08:08 AM
Well my MBA went back for repair yesterday. I asked if they could just tighten the hinge and leave the extra feature but it appears a no go. There were no questions asked about repair when I showed the Genius how loose it was, I didn't even have to really show him the opening angle. The first Genius I've encountered who was actually knowledgeable. Wanted to see performance of my MBP's X25 G2 and genuinely liked the optibayed 500GB drive.

Here's to hoping I get it back with no dents, scratches, KFC crumbs or a crappy display.

xparaparafreakx
Sep 25, 2009, 02:38 AM

Thx

Horrible luck. Try another store. My hinge died 6 months ago, applecare died 7 months ago.

It has a small dent. It has the power button missing and I open the laptop twice to re do the thermal paste and remove the hinges. I even left super glue residue on one of the hinges.

Guess what? It coming tomorrow and I turned it in tuesday. :D

VS007
Sep 25, 2009, 10:43 AM
Horrible luck. Try another store. My hinge died 6 months ago, applecare died 7 months ago.

It has a small dent. It has the power button missing and I open the laptop twice to re do the thermal paste and remove the hinges. I even left super glue residue on one of the hinges.

Guess what? It coming tomorrow and I turned it in tuesday. :D

Thanks!
Actually I did try at other store. Thanks to my wife I am enjoying my maccu(pet name for my MBA)on my lap with a tight hinge.
Never realized what I was missing with a wobbly display even before the hinge gave up.
Now surfing is fun.

PS: You dont realize the beauty of MBA until you are forced to surf on a IBM brick laptop. :D

mhnajjar
Sep 25, 2009, 02:04 PM
Are you guys saying that the hinge will definitely break no matter how much care I take of my baby MBA? :eek:

NC MacGuy, let us know how it goes regarding the lines :D

NC MacGuy
Sep 25, 2009, 02:34 PM
Are you guys saying that the hinge will definitely break no matter how much care I take of my baby MBA? :eek:

As far as breaking, I don't think they all will but unless they've redesigned the hinge, it will get loose and floppy like sleeve of wizard.

We shall see soon enough about them lines:

xparaparafreakx
Sep 25, 2009, 03:06 PM

Im pretty sure it will.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=692838

Last post, when I pulled out the hinges from my air.

Chimpy
Sep 26, 2009, 10:12 AM
Gotta love Apple. Yes, they should acknowledge these issues sooner. However, most companies sweep it under the rug and just disavow any problems forever.

mhnajjar
Sep 26, 2009, 10:13 AM
That is one scary picture :eek:

Any estimate of how many open/close runs before they break or at least get loose? :o

I do not use my MBA a lot since my iMac is always the main machine but I really handle it with extreme care as if I was handling a nuclear bomb or so LOL :D

NC MacGuy
Sep 26, 2009, 11:05 AM
That is one scary picture :eek:

Any estimate of how many open/close runs before they break or at least get loose? :o

I do not use my MBA a lot since my iMac is always the main machine but I really handle it with extreme care as if I was handling a nuclear bomb or so LOL :D

Well I had/have two, it's usually daily use opening closing two-ten times a day for six months and you'll notice it getting loose. TBH, it's the first computer I've ever bought Applecare for and it was explicitly for this issue.

still in school
Sep 26, 2009, 12:01 PM
I got mine repaired and they DID NOT replace the entire top LCD panel they only replaced my hinges.

slapguts
Sep 27, 2009, 01:04 AM
This makes me so happy. Mine has been getting wobbly lately, and now makes a quiet clicking noise. There's an authorized service center two miles from me, maybe I'll take it in, see what they say.

NC MacGuy
Sep 27, 2009, 01:11 AM
I got mine repaired and they DID NOT replace the entire top LCD panel they only replaced my hinges.

Well that's comforting since I loved my display.

Are the hinges redesigned? It would be ridiculous to replace known crap with known crap. Both of mine needed replacement in less than a year. I'd hate to have to go through this drill every year until they do redesign them with something more "future-proof.":p

still in school
Sep 27, 2009, 11:38 AM

Are the hinges redesigned? It would be ridiculous to replace known crap with known crap. Both of mine needed replacement in less than a year. I'd hate to have to go through this drill every year until they do redesign them with something more "future-proof.":p

I'm not sure but I hope so since they were able to figure a way to replace hinges only instead of the entire lcd

pvmacguy
Sep 27, 2009, 12:33 PM
Just dropped mine off yesterday at the apple store to have the hinges fixed the display was getting somewhat floppy.

LAS.mac
Sep 27, 2009, 05:31 PM
I'm not sure but I hope so since they were able to figure a way to replace hinges only instead of the entire lcd

I don't think they redesigned the hinges. At least, they look the same in rev. B and C.
And, as far as I know, the hinge issue is equally affecting the three revs.

pvmacguy
Sep 30, 2009, 09:29 AM
Just got my air back from having the hinges repaired, now they are nice and tight. :) But... The gray plastic right in front of the display they cracked a tiny part of it and its showing the pieces..

Scottsdale
Sep 30, 2009, 10:29 AM
Just got my air back from having the hinges repaired, now they are nice and tight. :) But... The gray plastic right in front of the display they cracked a tiny part of it and its showing the pieces..

This is the problem when companies have a lack of control. Think of what the repair tech would have done if his/her pay was dependent on the quality of work. What if he/she was required to photograph before and after shots using a camera and laser to test for all dents and etc (don't tell me it costs money because I have implemented such systems and they cost pennies per repair). That way the tech could be paid or called out when the customer receives shoddy work. It also allows companies to identify where in the process the repair went wrong or if it's a crappy part or inferior packaging during the shipping process or even a bad shipping company. When a company doesn't care, this is the end result.

The problem is it costs us, the shareholders, money as Apple has to keep working on something that should have been done right the first time.

I am so sorry to see such terrible "repair" to your MBA. Best wishes in Apple getting it right or just plain swapping it for a new one. This is wrong, you deserve better!

pvmacguy
Sep 30, 2009, 10:58 AM
The repair wasn't terrible, they fixed the hinges and they are great. But, I just noticed what happened to that piece when I opened the lid and thought it odd they wouldn't have noticed after the fix. But oh well I fixed that little issue myself. On a side note though, have you had your computer come back and had all your settings changed? IE: the wallpaper was changed. Dock preferences were changed. How I view files and applications in finder was changed.

still in school
Sep 30, 2009, 12:01 PM
yeah, there were a few random settings that were changed, like they set the default F1-F12 buttons...

What does a hinge have to do with that? I hope they didn't find my pRon stash

coast1ja
Sep 30, 2009, 01:51 PM
From the Apple repair source page:

Symptoms
Learn what you can do if you experience one or more of these issues with the hinges on your MacBook Air.

Unable to close lid completely.

Broken or cracked plastic near one or both of the hinges.

More than one inch (2.54cm) of free play while opening or closing the lid.

Lid falls freely into closed position from a 30-degree open position. (From a closed position, open the lid approximately 30 degrees and let go.)

Products Affected
MacBook Air

Resolution
You can take your MacBook Air to an Apple-Authorized Service Provider or Apple Retail Store for evaluation and repair if necessary, even if your product is out of warranty.

If you previously paid for a repair for hinge-related issues that were not caused by accidental damage, you may be eligible for a refund. Contact Apple for more information.

Additional Information
If you plan to visit an Apple Retail store, make a reservation at the Genius Bar usinghttp://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/. (Available only in some countries.)

Service Provider Comments
In addition to the troubleshooting information provided in the public section of this article, use this information to assist in troubleshooting and to determine coverage for hinge-related issues:

If there is more than one inch of backlash (or free play without the hinge friction), the hinge should be replaced via display clamshell replacement.

From a closed position, open the lid approximately 30 degrees and let go. If the lid is unable to stay open from this position and closes shut, and if there are no signs of accidental damage or abuse, replace the display clamshell.

Probe to determine the issue is not due to accidental damage or abuse.
If there are signs of accidental damage or abuse, clamshell replacement is not covered under warranty.

If the clutches can still hold the display as you open it up to different angles, but the display can open up almost flat (180 degrees), it is likely a result of accidental damage or abuse.

If the customer claims that the cracked hinge was caused by accidental damage, please set up a mail-in service part Tier 2 repair. In regions where mail-in dispatch is not available, the repair should be billed to the customer.

If there are no signs of accidental damage and the computer is under warranty or covered by an AppleCare agreement, replace the display clamshell as a warranty repair. If the computer is outside of warranty or not covered under AppleCare, select symptom code Z09, MBAir Hinge Cracking.

If the computer is being dispatched to an AppleCare Repair Center with other repairs, select symptom code Z10, MBAir Hinge Cracking (Multiple Issues). By selecting the symptom code Z10, if the computer is out of warranty, the repair will be subject to flat rate fees for the non-warranted, non-top case issues to be repaired. If the computer has accidental damage that was not quoted appropriately when the dispatch was setup, a requote will be necessary.
In US and Japan, dispatch repairs to the depot when possible.

pvmacguy
Sep 30, 2009, 02:27 PM
yeah, there were a few random settings that were changed, like they set the default F1-F12 buttons...

What does a hinge have to do with that? I hope they didn't find my pRon stash

Because I just got my air back from the hinges being replaced and I was commenting on the repair job that they did.

elppa
Sep 30, 2009, 04:24 PM
As others have mentioned, next they should own up to the grey lines issue and not claim it is a property of a thin display (even though VAIOs don't exhibit it, despite having thinner displays) or the other BS they tried to fob me of with.

Wotan31
Sep 30, 2009, 05:11 PM
"Finally own up to"? :rolleyes:

Just because yours broke 6 months ago doesn't mean there's some cover-up conspiracy to deny the flaw. Any large manufacturing corporation is going to do extensive failure analysis and look at failure modes, failure rates etc. before acknowledging a problem or issuing a recall. They need to figure out if it's a design defect or a manufacturing defect or just one particular component supplier that's having problems. If it's a component supplier, they need to work out a fix with them. If it's a design flaw then Apple engineers need time to develop an appropriate and effective fix. If it's a manufacturing flaw then they need to work a fix with the Chinese who are building the things. They won't make any official acknowledgement or statement until they've got all their ducks in a row.

Silly how some folks expect the world to turn on a dime. :rolleyes:

Scottsdale
Sep 30, 2009, 07:36 PM
"Finally own up to"? :rolleyes:

Just because yours broke 6 months ago doesn't mean there's some cover-up conspiracy to deny the flaw. Any large manufacturing corporation is going to do extensive failure analysis and look at failure modes, failure rates etc. before acknowledging a problem or issuing a recall. They need to figure out if it's a design defect or a manufacturing defect or just one particular component supplier that's having problems. If it's a component supplier, they need to work out a fix with them. If it's a design flaw then Apple engineers need time to develop an appropriate and effective fix. If it's a manufacturing flaw then they need to work a fix with the Chinese who are building the things. They won't make any official acknowledgement or statement until they've got all their ducks in a row.

Silly how some folks expect the world to turn on a dime. :rolleyes:

At up to $3099 spent for an MBA in the last 19 months, Apple should repair these things and turn on a dime... we're not talking a $199 netbook! They are getting gobs of money, and if something isn't right, it needs to be fixed ASAP!

VS007
Sep 30, 2009, 11:55 PM

After the repair, I have a refurbished display and there are few lighted spots on screen, thankfully on the top bar where you have date, wifi etc, hence it is not visible.

After two weeks of tightness, I have started noticing a slight play of about 1-2 mm.

still in school
Oct 1, 2009, 01:22 AM
Because I just got my air back from the hinges being replaced and I was commenting on the repair job that they did.

LOL the question wasn't meant for you... It was directed as to why they had to shift a few settings around while fixing my hinge.

HiFiGuy528
Oct 1, 2009, 01:47 AM
Can we buy the part and install ourselves? I don't trust Apple to not scatch or mess up my perfect Air. Anyone know the part number?

coast1ja
Oct 1, 2009, 08:42 AM
I talked to a friend of mine at an Apple authorized repair center about this, and he said that they have to replace the entire screen assembly because the aluminum behind the panel is actually part of the hinge. When they order the parts from Apple, the hinge assembly is actually the entire screen assembly with the hinges built in... This could explain why it took so long for Apple to acknowledge the issue, as it's not a cheap fix!

shearm
Oct 1, 2009, 03:00 PM
For what it's worth, my Macbook Rev. A was fine until about two weeks ago, when the hinge finally gave out -- it looked exactly like all the other pictures.

I took it to my Apple store on Saturday, they took one look at it and said it would be repaired no questions asked.

They sent it out Monday, it was repaired Tuesday and I picked it up on Wednesday.

The "genius" that I dealt with said that the plastic bar across the middle of the screed and the plastic tabs you see at the two hinges are exactly the same, but he claimed that the metal pieces inside the hinges have been redesigned and strengthened. I have no way of knowing, but just passing along.

Also, in my case they did not replace the entire screen assembly. I know because i have a very small ding at the top, left corner that is still there after the repair.

I hope everyone else's repair goes as smoothly.

Cheers.

mhnajjar
Oct 1, 2009, 05:21 PM
I still hope that my baby doesn't go through any of this unless Apple would provide me with a revD as a replacement :D

JasG
Oct 4, 2009, 09:01 AM
Can anyone tell me where a squeaky hinge fits into all this. I have a Rev C about two months old, which works perfectly but squeaks often when I open and close it. The squeak comes at the beginning of the movement upon opening and obviously the end upon closing. If it were a door and not a computer I would apply WD-40 and that would probably be the end of it.