PDA

View Full Version : Swappers log off Kazaa as alternatives emerge

MacBytes
Jul 2, 2004, 03:59 AM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Swappers log off Kazaa as alternatives emerge (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040702045932)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

slipper
Jul 2, 2004, 05:41 AM
hmm, i used Limewire, who has used eDonkey and BitTorrent?

Nermal
Jul 2, 2004, 06:59 AM
I'm not going to admit that I use BitTorrent and eDonkey regularly, and LimeWire occasionally too.

killmoms
Jul 2, 2004, 01:37 PM
I stopped using widespread unfettered P2P when the RIAA started prancing about dishing out lawsuits (and when I realized that 128kbps MP3 sounds like ass). Now I'm a fan of BitTorrent for unlicensed anime fansubs, and AllofMP3.com for any music needs I have; mildly illegal but cheap. Anything I can't find there I go to private trading forums and use protected FTPs. Anything I can't find THERE I buy on iTMS.

Don't look at me like that; I spent all my money on this PowerBook and related hardware. When I have a real job, I'm going to start buying real media. ~_^

--Cless

slipper
Jul 2, 2004, 03:38 PM
ohh of course, why would we want to do something illegal like swap MP3s on limewire. i share my own produced music there.

slipper
Jul 3, 2004, 04:08 AM
AllofMP3.com for any music needs I have; mildly illegal but cheap.
i just tried allofmp3.com and its an awesome concept(please keep reading). i purchased close to 200 songs today, i was stoked! that is until i played the songs. i would say half of the songs i downloaded were poor quality. the site lets you choose you own bitrate and file format, i choose the AAC format at 192kb/s, and the bad quality ones sound like 64kb/s MP3's :eek:

cb911
Jul 3, 2004, 07:34 AM
i was never a big fan of Kazaa, or Napster... it was good for finding songs here and there, but for albums you can't go past BitTorrernt or KDX (even though i haven't used that in ages :eek: )

and then there's always going to be people who will STW as well... ;) :D http://mugget.com/web_images/twisted.gif

as for AllOfMP3.com... i had a look at that a while ago, their servers must have been getting hammered, couldn't even search for anything. but i might actually try that out... i'm pretty sure it's not illegal, i read an article about it when it first came out, but maybe i'm not remembering correctly.

solvs
Jul 4, 2004, 12:09 AM
I admit, I've used Kazaa (Kazaa Lite, actually). Mostly legal stuff, or stuff you can't get anywhere. Like unaired Invader Zim episodes, live stuff, etc. I think Sharman shot themselves in the foot when they tried to get rid of Kazaa Lite, and it's ilk. Suing for copyright infringement ironically enough. No more power users, no more good files. Between the lurkers and the fake files, it's just not worth it anymore. It was such a pain to find anything, even Moondance by Van Morrison. I could understand if it wasn't there, but there were all these fake files. For VAN MORRISON!

Fired up iTunes, there it was. Couple of other versions as well. Of course, I already have it on cassette, but what are you gonna do...