Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
how do you create an anime looking picture from a real picture? below is some stuff my friend does. could i do the same effect on people? i have access to Photoshop 7 and CS.

romeobanner.jpg

alexbanner.jpg

brandonfbanner.jpg

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Do you have the original photos used in these pics?

The could be 3D models and then worked up in Illustrator.

D

SkAlex

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2004
It looks to me like he traced the edges of the car and did some coloring and nice shading to give it a semi-animated look.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Playing with just a few filters in PS, I don't think you can just do it easily in Photoshop. You should ask your friend how they do it.

Here's the original and 5 minute mod.

D

Attachments

• 1067big.jpg
    1067big.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 135
  • 1067big copy.jpg
    1067big copy.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 123

sonofslim

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2003
looks rotoscoped, especially the first one -- aren't there dedicated software packages for that?

SkAlex

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2004
Mr. Anderson said:
Playing with just a few filters in PS, I don't think you can just do it easily in Photoshop.

I'm pretty confident he didn't use much more than photoshop, if anything. It's not going to be as simple as clicking on a few filters though. I'll try to replicate what I think he did when I get home. Certainly the second image... It looks like little more than some blurring, outlining part of the car, and adding some red color hue.

The other two have some nice coloring and great-looking reflection and lighting effects that might have been done outside of photoshop, but probably could be done in PS as well (by someone with more patience than I).

dogbyte_13

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2004
Long Branch, NJ
Rotoscoping is when they draw and color over real people or objects. A good example of this is when the Lord of the rings trilogy movies came out in the 70s/80s, the battle scenes were done this way. hope that helps :D

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
I read about this yesterday in a book called Design Essentials, Third Edition. It's by Luanne Seymour Cohen. As it is copyright, I can't exactly tell you how, but here's the general info:

Open a file in PhotoShop (CS), duplicate the layer (i'll say color for the name), make a adjustment layer (Hue/Saturation), use a smart blur on the color layer, (try 67.9 and 29 in the respective fields at high quality), duplicate the color layer (call it outline), then go to the Channel Mixer, and use monochrome at 24, 68, and 8 in the respective boxes, then go to stylize in the filter menu and find edges, then darken the outline layer, and you should be set. Otherwise, continue to make adjustments. With these steps, I made these images (the first one is original, the second is by these steps). Wow that was a long sentence. Good luck!
–Chase

cute_miranda.jpg

cute_miranda_final.jpg

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
ok i went at it last night and heres my version...
romeo8.jpg

Heres the "anime" version my friend created...
romeobanner.jpg

And heres the original picture...
romeo8.jpg

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
^^^

basically heres what i did...

- open the picture and clicked "create layer from background". i created a duplicate layer and i hid that duplicate for now.
- i traced all the headlights, wheels, & hood and copied those and set them aside in another blank document
- now use the solarize filter
- then i went to image/adjustments/curves dragged the drop down menu to green and adjusted the center dot towards the bottom right.
- i then pasted the headlights, wheels and hood in the correct positions.
- i went to the hidden layer and used the trace contour filter. clicked on the magic wand tool and highlighted any black line. i then clicked similar to select all the black lines and copied that and discarded the layer.
- now back to the original layer i pasted the lines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.