Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joemero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
I would like to transfer some videos from my Sony Handycam video Hi8 to my 2008 15" MBP in order to do some editing in iMovie and then burn to DVDs. The Handycam is a 2001 model CCD-TRV58 and has an S VIDEO OUT, A/V OUT and RFU DC OUT. Is there an adapter available to be able to connect it to the firewire port on my MBP? What are my options? Thanks in advance for any help :D

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Borrow a newer MiniDV digital camcorder. Usually there is a pass-through option that will digitize your movies and can connect with firewire to the Mac.

Joemero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Borrow a newer MiniDV digital camcorder. Usually there is a pass-through option that will digitize your movies and can connect with firewire to the Mac.

Will the newer MiniDV accept Hi8 video tapes? Is there a particular model that you would recommend?

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Will the newer MiniDV accept Hi8 video tapes? Is there a particular model that you would recommend?

You have a few options here. a MiniDV camcorder will not accept Hi8 tapes (the physical tapes are much smaller) but you can use your camera's audio/video outputs and hook them into the a/v inputs of the other camcorder. Most modern camcorders can transcode from analog video inputs to firewire outputs in real time.

Or, as long as you're hunting down camcorders, see if you know anyone with a Sony Digital8 unit. They record DV signals onto 8mm tapes, so they can also playback 8mm/Hi8 tapes. I have one which I keep on hand for the several dozen 8mm tapes I still have. One of these days I will digitize them before the tapes die of old age...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.