PDA

View Full Version : New graphics card and my PM G5

Aragorn
Jul 2, 2004, 08:53 AM
Hi, my brother is about to order the new G5 2.5 and he wants to get the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL graphics card to go with it, mostly just for bragging rights. He is also going to get the 23in display. I was wondering if the new graphis chip only works with the 30incher, or if it can work with any of the new displays. I was wondering because I know the 6800 has the dual-dual support and that if you only plug in one dvi connector it would only display the bottom half of the screen. Or if the 6800 had a detection for monitor size and in that case could you display 4 monitors? Maybe I missed it when reading, or Im jsut being stupid, but anything you know would help. Thanks.

invaLPsion
Jul 2, 2004, 09:22 AM
The 6800 will work with any of the apple displays but you will not use all of the pins from one DVI connector when connected to a dual link DVI on the 6800.

KingSleaze
Jul 2, 2004, 10:46 AM
The 6800 will work with any of the apple displays but you will not use all of the pins from one DVI connector when connected to a dual link DVI on the 6800.

To ask the basic question in a different fashion.......... is the dual DVI connector on the 6800 incompatible with a standard DVI connector? :confused:

jsw
Jul 2, 2004, 10:51 AM
To ask the basic question in a different fashion.......... is the dual DVI connector on the 6800 incompatible with a standard DVI connector? :confused:

No. You can plug a "standard" DVI monitor into it. Same number of pins.

There are 2 ports on the 6800, not 4, and you can plug only a max of two monitors into it. Someone might make or create 1-dual-link to 2-standard-DVI adapters, but, unless and until that happens, just two monitors.

However, you'll get full screen support on any monitor you plug in - never just the bottom or top half.

Dreadnought
Jul 2, 2004, 10:53 AM
no! It can power a 23" or a 30" without a problem. It will detect which display is hooked up to it and will work. From what I understand of the 6800 DLL is that on one DVI connector they put 2 graphics cards on it (to say it very simple, I know it is not correct) for having enough power to fill the 30". When you connect a smaller display (or a smaller resolution) the 6800 does not have to work as much.

jsw
Jul 2, 2004, 10:55 AM
And I forgot to note above that your brother is a bastard, Aragorn. ;)

Aragorn
Jul 2, 2004, 01:24 PM
Alright guys, thanks for the help. Im just wondering now if the 6800 is worth the extra $150 up from the other ati card. Since both have 256 Mb, and the 6800 seems to be there only for the 30incher. Just wondering if the speed difference between the two is worht $150. Thanks again

jsw
Jul 2, 2004, 01:27 PM
Alright guys, thanks for the help. Im just wondering now if the 6800 is worth the extra $150 up from the other ati card. Since both have 256 Mb, and the 6800 seems to be there only for the 30incher. Just wondering if the speed difference between the two is worht $150. Thanks again

Definitely worth it. IMHO, the 9600XT is fine for 98% of Mac users. But... if you're going to spend $300 more for the 9800XT, go the additional $150 for the 6800.

It has the same amount of RAM, true, but it is a much faster card.

Grimace
Jul 2, 2004, 02:01 PM

Seriously - the 9600XT is a great card. If you were definitely going to get the 9800 - the Gforce is a generational leap above. But for most apps - you will NOT see any difference. Unless you are powering a 30" - this is a Gaming/Video Production chip.

Sun Baked
Jul 2, 2004, 02:29 PM
Seriously - the 9600XT is a great card. If you were definitely going to get the 9800 - the Gforce is a generational leap above. But for most apps - you will NOT see any difference. Unless you are powering a 30" - this is a Gaming/Video Production chip.But for stuff like Quartz, Core Video, etc. you will see a difference.

All that rendering stuff that the OS and applications are now offloading from the CPU to the Graphics card will see an improvement.

BornAgainMac
Jul 2, 2004, 02:57 PM
But for stuff like Quartz, Core Video, etc. you will see a difference.

All that rendering stuff that the OS and applications are now offloading from the CPU to the Graphics card will see an improvement.

That's true, I haven't thought about that. Tiger will make excellent use of this card beyond what Pather does today.