PDA

View Full Version : Developer guide: QuickTime video playback on the iPod's scr...

MacBytes
Jul 2, 2004, 09:29 AM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Developer guide: QuickTime video playback on the iPod\'s screen (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040702102911)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Mudbug
Jul 2, 2004, 09:30 AM
upon downloading and reading the attached .pdf to this story, the first thing that comes to my mind is "A SLIMMED DOWN VERSION OF OS X?" Then question 2 is if the system has been "closed" this whole time, why open it now, for this?

idkew
Jul 2, 2004, 09:49 AM
agreed mud. i was under the impression that the OS was NOT written by apple. those copyrights in About had some part in convincing me of this.

the_mole1314
Jul 2, 2004, 09:56 AM
woah, no where can I download that app? I'm to lazy to create my own... :p

bousozoku
Jul 2, 2004, 10:07 AM
upon downloading and reading the attached .pdf to this story, the first thing that comes to my mind is "A SLIMMED DOWN VERSION OF OS X?" Then question 2 is if the system has been "closed" this whole time, why open it now, for this?

Mainly because there was the impression since Pixo was acquired by Sun Microsystems that Sun now had control of iPod development.

Apple wanted to convince developers that it could replace the Pixo imaging layer at any point and the iPod would still be a viable development target.

nagromme
Jul 2, 2004, 10:25 AM
"As well see, the iPod does rely on some Pixo software, but that software is just a thin layer of imaging software, not the entire operating system. The Pixo software handles screen drawing and item selection, but not much more. In a nutshell, Pixos software is to the iPod as QuickDraw was to the original Macintosh: a key element, perhaps, but not nearly the whole enchilada. And, more importantly, the Pixo software in the iPod is likely to be phased out in the future, just as QuickDraw is being phased out in favor of Mac OS Xs Quartz imaging layer."

Anyway, it's cool that people can now write new iPod apps... but I thought it was a hoax at first from the acronym SNOJOB :)

bousozoku
Jul 2, 2004, 10:49 AM

Anyway, it's cool that people can now write new iPod apps... but I thought it was a hoax at first from the acronym SNOJOB :)

I felt the same way about SNOBOL when I first saw the name way back when. I'm surprised that it's actually still going strong after so many years.

nagromme
Jul 2, 2004, 11:07 AM
What's really cool is that the example app is added right to the iPod's UI/menu system. Very clean. And installation is easy, you just drop your code into the Extras folder! (Tricky part: Apple uses ROT13 to confuse us! :) )

mainstreetmark
Jul 2, 2004, 11:11 AM
Well, crap! This may derail my valiant attempts to get Obj C all into my brain. I wish they'd provide the sourcecode in it's entirety so I could actually get this thing onto my iPod without (*shutter*) typing it in manually.

JT3MacManiac
Jul 2, 2004, 11:14 AM
Well, crap! This may derail my valiant attempts to get Obj C all into my brain. I wish they'd provide the sourcecode in it's entirety so I could actually get this thing onto my iPod without (*shutter*) typing it in manually.

me 2!

i sent an email to the author, asking him if he had this, or an easy to use installer....

no reply yet..

kainjow
Jul 2, 2004, 11:30 AM
Hm he must not be using 10.3.3 because when he does "ls -laf" on /Volumes/iPod/iPod_Control/Device, he gets a lot more in that directory then I do. I don't get any of the "dev" or "mach" things.. maybe he's not running latest iPod fireware? To me it sounds like this could easily be blocked in the next firmware update. Looks very very interesting though....just wish I could see the files in the Device folder :(

bdb
Jul 2, 2004, 11:40 AM
I'm not quite believing it. For one, Google shows nothing for SNOJOB, the Mac Tech April 2004 article list (http://www.mactech.com/news/archive.mgi?archiveID=42004) does not include the article, and April is Fool's Day month. It would be so cool if it were true, but I'm currently doubting it.

mainstreetmark
Jul 2, 2004, 11:56 AM
Why would you doubt it? It doesn't seem like someone would write a 12-page PDF with a fictional language as a joke.

and I know iPod can display images, as I've played breakout and sabatage (uh, "parachute") on it.

And, per Mudbug, how come this isn't more widely known? Why are there only two games, anyways...

invalidname
Jul 2, 2004, 12:27 PM
Folks, this is from Tim Monroe's QuickTime column in the April issue of MacTech.

Let me make that clear. The April issue of MacTech.

From the author who last year claimed to have received a CD from Microsoft that included a run-anywhere QuickTime library that worked on everything from Longhorn to the PocketPC.

About a language that has been dead for at least 25 years.

You've been had.

BTW, I talked to Tim at WWDC and he was floored by how many people fell for it, though to be fair, the April issue of MacTech shipped in mid-June, so readers weren't on their toes.

-invalidname

whooleytoo
Jul 2, 2004, 12:51 PM
You've been had.

BTW, I talked to Tim at WWDC and he was floored by how many people fell for it, though to be fair, the April issue of MacTech shipped in mid-June, so readers weren't on their toes.

You have no idea how pished off I am at this.....grr... :mad:

An iPod SDK was #1 on my wishlist for WWDC! Any hope Tim might take notice of all the publicity this is generating, and start a discussion about opening this up?

nagromme
Jul 2, 2004, 04:02 PM
Why would you doubt it? It doesn't seem like someone would write a 12-page PDF with a fictional language as a joke.

And why would it include detailed code snippets and notes, but no actual jokes in it? Even the language SNOBOL is apparently real. In the end I fell for the hoax--but then again, it's July...

My first instinct was correct I guess--very disappointing. iPodLounge has the headline too, and doesn't yet know it's a hoax but it sounds that way from the comments.

To my credit, I did NOT fall for those fake Dashboard shots :D