Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
France
Hi everyone,
I don't really know much about apple TV but i am an Apple user (MBP, iPhone). For my birthday i was offered a Multimedia DVR (Dvico Dvix M6500A 1TB)...But i really find the interface not user friendly...Once you have tasted Apple...

What i am looking for is
1- Watching my photos
2- Store my Dvix and iMovie videos
3- Store my iTunes and listen to my music from the tv set
4- Record tv programs

I know the apple can't do all of that and that the HD is very limited (160gb max)...
For you why is the Apple TV a good product? Isn't old vs what the competion offers now? When was the last update? Do you think Apple will update it next week and try to catch up with the DVR market?

Sorry for all the questions but i am looking for opinons and advice.
Thanks
X

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
France
mac mini + elegato eye tv + plex/front row
Hdd -> 500GB, Ram -> 2.
Done, done and done.

Thanks - This looks like an interesting option even if more expensive at the end...
It does not include the ATV...what would the ATV do that this proposed configuration do not do?

OmegaRed1723

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
The Waste
Out of the box, the ATV will only do items 1, 2 (only the iMovie portion), and 3 on your list. If you choose to hack the device, it becomes more flexible.

You can install Boxee and/or XBMC to manage/view all your video files (including DivX). With either of those programs you can stream media over your network, or view media stored on the ATV itself. File transfers can be performed by enabling SSH.

One thing you can't do with the current ATV is record. Some folks are hoping for a hardware update (the ATV hasn't had one yet) that may incorporate PVR capabilities, but I think that's wishful thinking. If having PVR functionality is essential for you, a Mac-Mini may be the way to go. Likewise, if you do a lot of 1080p viewing (Blu-Ray rips, etc.), the ATV is not capable of outputting that resolution.

justaregularjoe

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2008
Thanks - This looks like an interesting option even if more expensive at the end...
It does not include the ATV...what would the ATV do that this proposed configuration do not do?

My proposal does not add to the :apple:TV, it replaces it. The Mac Mini option can output to much higher resolutions, store much more data, especially when you connect an external HDD to it. Further more, running OS X for real gives you much more versatilty, with the ability to open literally any media file with a program like VLC, run fancy ass widgets to get weather, news, etc.

Just think of the :apple:TV as an iPod with no battery or screen (cuz that is what it is.) Would you rather watch a movie on that iPod, or on a desktop computer? You decide.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Apple TV is underpowered, under-featured, closed, and inflexible. It's the one major disappointment in the list of Apple products I have. Adding Boxee helps somewhat, but it's slow, buggy, and modal.

Apple TV needs work as a high definition multi-media device. It's the weakest link in my home theater system. The PS3 and XBox 360 are higher quality and more mature.

Apple TV is lame. Apple needs to get serious about it or drop it altogether.

justaregularjoe

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2008
Apple TV is underpowered, under-featured, closed, and inflexible. It's the one major disappointment in the list of Apple products I have. Adding Boxee helps somewhat, but it's slow, buggy, and modal.

Apple TV needs work as a high definition multi-media device. It's the weakest link in my home theater system. The PS3 and XBox 360 are higher quality and more mature.
Yeah, even the 360 is ages ahead and far easier to use.

Apple TV is lame. Apple needs to get serious about it or drop it altogether.
Word. 40 or 160 GB for an HD MEDIA CENTER? Simply unacceptable.

The only thing I DO like about :apple:TV is the UI. But that is because I cry whenever I see shiny white on shiny black, and i love that blue they have. That shade is just perfect. Ah....
*WHAT WHOA* Sorry. Back now.

What I want to see is a device that will play any kind of media, run something very close to the :apple:TV UI, sync AND stream simultaneously, so that you can see files on the device AND back at HQ and have a much larger HD. Like 320 should be good. With HDMI. And in the form factor of the :apple:TV. it LOOKS good...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.