Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RHColo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2004
When speculation was running rampant about what Apple would announce at this year's WWDC, there was some discussion about Superdrive Extremes, or, drives in Apples that could burn dual-layer DVDs. Discussion about that seems to have all but disappeared. Even finding news/information about this development on the Web anywhere is pretty difficult. Has everyone decided talking about this possibility is way too premature?

I need to upgrade my Mac G4 to a G5 (I've needed to for a while), but I keep putting it off, hoping to wait until I could also get dual-layer DVD burning capability. Does anyone have any idea when this might be available? Is another few months worth the wait or is it more likely to be a couple years?

If the wait for this from Apple is going to be long, does anyone have a recommendation for an alternate dual-layer DVD burning solution right now? I could really use this in my business. I was looking at the Sony burner, but also heard lots of cautions about that one, and no one else seems to have an alternative in any kind of consumer/prosumer price range.

I think this technology is on the verge of becoming practical to a small-time producer like me. I'd hate to invest a ton of money in a new computer only to have the one I really want come out a few months later. I'd also hate to continue using my G4 for much longer. Decisions, decisions.... Any suggestions or updated rumors to keep my hopes alive?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Robert
rh_colo@hotmail.com

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
in my opinion i doubt we will see dual layer burners in the G5s anytime soon, plus who knows when they will be updated again, so i would say that if you need a new machine go ahead and get it now, you can always upgrade your drive later if you wish, If you want a dual layer burner right now i think Lacie is the only one who has one for macs, but i could be wrong, ill look for a link and ill post it if i find one.....good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.