PDA

View Full Version : Best Macintosh

jtkellertx
Jul 2, 2004, 11:38 AM
What is the best macintosh you have ever had, least amount of problems, good upgradablity, long lasting (like using the latest software on a 3 year old computer).
I have a TiBook 867mhz model w/ no upgrades except a Airport Card, and I'm still running the latest games. It's about 1 1/2 years old and out of warrenty, I had to replace the power brick once and that is about it.
I drop this thing like every other day, I just open it up and it works. Sometimes, I take the bottom cover off and bang out the dents w/ a hammer or a rubber mallet

jsw
Jul 2, 2004, 11:44 AM
I have to say, the 1999 400MHz G3 Lombard PB I have is a real trooper. Runs 10.3.4. Does all I ask of it. Dropped innumerable times, including one time that crushed one of the corners and "took out" the left speaker.

Yeah, it isn't fast. But the damn thing is built like a tank.

Edit: but my dual-2 G5 (almost 10 months old now) is more fun....

pyrotoaster
Jul 2, 2004, 11:54 AM
Well, following your criteria I'd have to say my Mac Classic II from 1992. It still works perfectly today and it just one amazing li'l computer. :D

I'm also quite partial to my 9-month-old 12" Powerbook. Power and reliability all in one small machine. In fact, I accidentally dropped it onto a tile floor this morning, and while part of the aluminum around the side of the machine dented out a bit (I've been able to whack most of it back in place, though), my Powerbook woke up from sleep and went right back to work as if nothing had happened. It'll have to put up with quite a few more beatings before it can take the place of my Classic II, but it's certainly eager to prove itself. ;)

krimson
Jul 2, 2004, 12:07 PM
my 1 1/2 year old nephew jumped on top of my Pismo, then knocked it off the coffee table the other day... still runs like the day it was new. :)

PlaceofDis
Jul 2, 2004, 12:08 PM
well since ive only owned one mac i guess my powerbook is the best ive ever owned and ive had it for a year now with no problems what-so-ever

dxp4acu
Jul 2, 2004, 12:12 PM
Our 1987 Mac Plus still works just fine. It still seems like it is new, actually, even though we used it for 11 yrs. before we got the original iMac.

It's a pretty amazing machine!

Horrortaxi
Jul 2, 2004, 12:12 PM
You'd be impressed by a 3 year old Mac running the latest software? That's too easy.

We've got a G4 Cube (4 years old) and G4 Sawtooth (5 years old) that run all the latest Adobe and Macromedia apps. The Sawtooth has been a workhorse since day 1 (minus about 4 days early on to replace a dead logic board).

I'm also very impressed with my G3 AIO. It's 6 years old and was expandable enough to stay modern until very recently.

Then there's the 8 year old PowerMacintosh 7600. For email, web and word processing (you know, the stuff 95% of the people use their computers for 95% of the time) it's still sufficient.

I don't own one, but I think a special mention should go out to the G3 Pismo. 4 years has shown these to be dependable, rugged, and powerful PowerBooks.

pyrotoaster
Jul 2, 2004, 12:22 PM
Of course, I also have a Mac Plus SE (although that was a gift I got a few years back so I've never really used it myself) and it still works fine. My dad still uses a Lombard PB G3 on a daily basis along with my old graphite iMac DVSE (which works fine, but its hard drive completely failed shortly after I upgraded to a Flat-Panel iMac).

My (formerly my dad's) Powerbook 165 only really works when plugged into the wall now, but that's really the fault of the technology of the early 90s (before LiIon batteries, rechargable batteries had very short shelf lives).

The only machine I would really complain about is a Performa model (the one machine whose exact model number I can't name of the top of my head) that was just a trainwreck of a machine. It's from that Apple dark age when folks like Amelio, Spindler, and Sculley thought that machines like the Performa were a great idea. It's my younger sister's computer now, but she can't really use it for anything. It's slow, the monitor barely works, and it's really sorta junky.

Of course, I'd say all my Macs but that Performa have more than stood the test of time. Most of them are used pretty frequently today with no problems.

Mord
Jul 2, 2004, 12:23 PM
powermac g4 cube hands down

EXPANDABLE, fast, small and silent all you need

(farscape eww, mupets are so much better)

(it's a common word god damn it)

smllpx
Jul 2, 2004, 12:31 PM

expandable fast small and silent all you need

:confused:
g4 = expandable??? I know you _can_ do it, but I wouldn't classify it as expandable.

(farscape > pigs in space)

boz2004
Jul 2, 2004, 12:35 PM
I've owned an LC650, a PM6500, a beige G3 mini tower, and I just recently bought a beige G3 desktop... I've used a few other models from Apple IIe's to a slew of Pre-G3's... and I'd have to say that prior to the MT going screwy, that was the best machine I'd had...

If I could've figured out how to repair the MT, I wouldn't have bought the DT

Mord
Jul 2, 2004, 12:42 PM
:confused:
g4 = expandable??? I know you _can_ do it, but I wouldn't classify it as expandable.

(farscape > pigs in space)

ok i can upgrade the prosessor the ghraphics card the hard drive the ram and the optical drive what isn't upgradable about that?

my cube has a dual 450MHz g4, a 120GB 7200RPM HD, 1.1GB ram and a radeon 7500

pyrotoaster
Jul 2, 2004, 12:53 PM

expandable fast small and silent all you need

I love the G4 cube, but what's this about Farscape?!
Farscape is the greatest Sci Fi show on TV today, and it's not just an amazing Sci Fi show, but a fantastic drama. Well, that's my opinion, at least. :D
I'd say Farscape is the G4 Cube of Sci Fi shows. Really an amazing thing, just not really appreciated by a lot of people. Of course, Farscape is coming back... and we all know how much Steve loves that Cube... ;)

smllpx
Jul 2, 2004, 12:53 PM
ok i can upgrade the prosessor the ghraphics card the hard drive the ram and the optical drive what isn't upgradable about that?

for one; expand (what you first said) != upgrade.

pyrotoaster
Jul 2, 2004, 01:01 PM
for one; expand (what you first said) != upgrade.
But expand does equal upgrade. Otherwise what on earth does upgrade mean?
When I add RAM, I'm upgrading my RAM. I could also say I'm expanding it. Both words apply. They mean the same thing. It's like you're saying that carrot cake doesn't equal carrot cake (How's that for an odd metaphor?).
There are times when expand and upgrade have different meanings, this isn't one of them.

Mord
Jul 2, 2004, 01:10 PM
well even if you take the word littlerally you can!

you can buy this :http://www.powerlogix.com/products/enclosure/index.html and make your cube bigger expanding it by .5" in every direction hehehe

as for sci-fi's starwars did it all there is no need for any more

smllpx
Jul 2, 2004, 01:13 PM
Not trying to derail this thread into a symatical argument, but:

in short: expand = add, upgrade = replace.

expand:
" To increase the size, volume, quantity, or scope of; enlarge"
I read size to mean physical attributes. Expanding a cube would be adding another internal drive or video card. The towers are expandable in that I can add drives and (video) cards.

upgrade:
" To raise to a higher grade or standard"
As in replacing one part for a better part.

as an off note I did like the cube, who knows maybe the new g5 imac will be in cube form.

edit: I was aware of the case, but I wasn't taking you literally, you just used the wrong word. If I was taking you literally I would have missed your exaggeration, metaphor, or embellishment.

Mord
Jul 2, 2004, 01:14 PM
hector one smllpx nill

kerching oh yhea

(and then according to you it is without the clearcube you can add a airport card and ram)

Finiksa
Jul 2, 2004, 01:18 PM
Agreed, cube is best.

Mord
Jul 2, 2004, 01:20 PM
i did have one problem with it though:

the power button became way to sensative so i had to put some anti static paper between it and the enclosior

that is the only problem i ever had

Daveman Deluxe
Jul 2, 2004, 02:11 PM
Best Mac I've ever owned? Probably the PowerBook 520 that we got when I was in eighth grade. It was awesome--we even had it set up with dual monitors with the old Mac II's monitor. The Power Mac 6100/60 we had was pretty solid too. The next family computer was an iMac DV 400 MHz that worked great up until earlier this year when the hard disk shorted out, and we got an eMac to replace it (which has also worked like a charm). My personal computer right now is a Rev. B PB 12", which I love.

mms
Jul 2, 2004, 09:43 PM
Cube and Lombard... both amazing and long-lasting. I'd say most of Apple's computers are pretty durable, especially compared to the few PCs I've owned.

Duff-Man
Jul 2, 2004, 09:52 PM
Duff-Man says...my G4 dual 800 has served me very well since I got right when they were released. It does everything I need it to and has never had a minute of trouble...I'm sure I could easily get many more years out of this thing. So why am I upgrading to a new G5 dual 2.5 then? 'Cause I have the money at the moment and I just felt like it....and i will see that this lovely G4 that has served me so well gets a great and deserving new home....oh yeah!

jknight8907
Jul 2, 2004, 09:56 PM
My vote:

1. Cube after processor upgrade
2. New 15" PB.

Most well known mac:

Colored iBooks.

jared_kipe
Jul 2, 2004, 10:30 PM

And of course you are soon to have the fastest, and only one with a passive watercooling device. ;)

mms
Jul 2, 2004, 10:41 PM
dual? I know the original didn't have dual 450mhz, and I haven't heard of such an upgrade. Did I miss something?

Most well known mac:

Colored iBooks.
Did you mean iMacs? I would have thought either the original or flat-panel iMacs would be the most well-known, rather than those toilet-bowl models.

Mord
Jul 3, 2004, 05:52 AM
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/cube/dual_g4_cube/dual_g4_cube.html

I did this but with copper instead of aluminium plates (and arctic silver 5)

jknight8907
Jul 3, 2004, 09:55 PM
Did you mean iMacs? I would have thought either the original or flat-panel iMacs would be the most well-known, rather than those toilet-bowl models.

I'd say for desktops the flat-panel iMac would be the most well known, but the one you see the most in non-Apple commercials are the colored laptops (I thought they were iBooks???) like the one that chick uses in one of the 'Legally Blonde' moves (according to my sister). Is it an iBook?

blackfox
Jul 3, 2004, 10:13 PM
Well, I have owned (still own) only two apple computers:
A Pismo bought new w/ Apple employee discount in 2000, upgraded to G3 900, 7200rpm HD, max ram...had a VERY hard life, still looks new (a little dusty) and performs well, in fact better than new (due to upgrades).
A Quicksilver 733 (bought used off a friend)...never a day's problem either, although it has had a much more protected existence under my desk...

Neither has had to go to the shop, or been down for more than a day...what more can you ask?

From second-hand opinion, I would have to say the PM dual 533 (or 500, can't remember) seems highly recommended by those who have owned them FWIW...never had one myself.

jackieonasses
Jul 3, 2004, 11:08 PM
man oh man! i didnt even belive good ol' cube's were that popular! I got mine off ebay 1 year ago. (first mac) and it is like 4 years old! it (thanks to panther) run nearly as fast on webpages as my g5....well almost.

Mord
Jul 4, 2004, 05:53 AM
and with a quartz extreem ghraphics card it will run as fast

get yourself over to www.cubeowner.com and look into some upgrades a 7200rpm HD is a cheap good speed boost and if your up to some moding it cubes can go up to dual 1.3GHz with radeon 9800xt's and a 120GB 7200RPM HD they have huge potential

(the clear cube is almost required for those upgrades and dont buy anything before looking into the installation some can take hours and the dual and the 9800xt require an external power supply, a 1.4GHz geforce 3 cube would be more realistic)

johnnowak
Jul 4, 2004, 06:14 AM
PowerMac 7600. 9 years later it's been upgraded from a 132mhz 604 to a 1ghz G4. It has 768MB of RAM, and a 160GB Ultrawide SCSI HD. The thing still cooks baby. Well... when the 43mhz bus isn't cramping its style anyway.

blue&whiteman
Jul 4, 2004, 06:27 AM
the b&w G3 I had for almost 5 years. most reliable thing I have ever owned. was on 24/7 for that entire 5 years also.

iJed
Jul 4, 2004, 07:48 AM
iMac 233 rev B. Was originally B stock too but its still going like the day it was bought. Its running Panther 10.3.4 and has run every Mac OS X version ever released since DP3. Its also run some versions of Mac OS X Server 1.x.