PDA

View Full Version : good time to buy Apple stocks ?

tkermit
Jul 2, 2004, 12:59 PM
What do you all think ? Is it the right time now that it has dropped by like 7% ? How much lower do you all think it will go ? I really wanted to buy Apple stock a year ago (and somehow didn't / miss my chance) which would have been great...to me it still looks like a good buy right now ?!

Any opinions (maybe from someone actually investing in Apple)

thx

varmit
Jul 2, 2004, 01:34 PM
What do you all think ? Is it the right time now that it has dropped by like 7% ? How much lower do you all think it will go ? I really wanted to buy Apple stocks a year ago (and somehow didn't / miss my chance) which would have been great...to me it still looks like a good buy right now ?!

Any opinions (maybe from someone actually investing in Apple)

thx

When I look at stocks I think you should invest in companies whos products you like, and others like, and innovate what they do.

Apple is this to me, so I bought stock last year and I probably will buy some more soon. If you are just doing this for the quick spike and make a little money I would say Apple isn't a good stock to get this. Its a long term commitment. I believe it will go up as Apple releases products that do well, like the iPod, G5 products, and Wireless products..

tkermit
Jul 2, 2004, 01:43 PM
When I look at stocks I think you should invest in companies whos products you like, and others like, and innovate what they do.

Apple is this to me, so I bought stock last year and I probably will buy some more soon. If you are just doing this for the quick spike and make a little money I would say Apple isn't a good stock to get this. Its a long term commitment. I believe it will go up as Apple releases products that do well, like the iPod, G5 products, and Wireless products..

You're right and I gotta say if I weren't interested in Apple as a company and it's products like I am, I wouldn't even THINK about buying Apple's stock... There are plenty of opportunities on the stock market to make money (and quickly afterwards lose it again), Apple is certainly not the right choice for someone who is in it for the quick big money...

but STILL, after all it's MY money and I am willing to support Apple IF I don't lose my money on the way. I want Apple to do something with it and I want to see them succeed. but WILL they ? Are they underestimated or overerstimated right now ? That's what I'm interested in. Why should I invest in a company going downhill... (I definitely don't think so, but I'd like to hear other opinions)

Horrortaxi
Jul 2, 2004, 03:03 PM
Don't do it. I'm not saying that because Apple is a bad company or because you'll lose money by buying their stock. I'm saying not to do it because you seem to be approaching it from a Mac fan's point of view rather than an investor's point of view. An investor wouldn't be asking for advice on stock purchase on a computer user's forum.

Pull up Apple's history and see what the stock has done in the past. Make a prediction about what it will do and invest accordingly. Treat it as a business.

tkermit
Jul 2, 2004, 03:32 PM
Don't do it. I'm not saying that because Apple is a bad company or because you'll lose money by buying their stock. I'm saying not to do it because you seem to be approaching it from a Mac fan's point of view rather than an investor's point of view. An investor wouldn't be asking for advice on stock purchase on a computer user's forum.

Pull up Apple's history and see what the stock has done in the past. Make a prediction about what it will do and invest accordingly. Treat it as a business.

you're absolutely right and make a correct assumption - I do approach it from a Mac fan's pont of view. :) I thought it would be kinda fun to invest in something that you're interested in anyway. I agree that I should look at the company's stats very closely though and I DO have already looked at some documents and information about Apple. The Reasoning behind this post is that I WAS mostly interested in a 'mac fan's' point of view, since I know that some of the people on these forums DO have Apple stock.

Rest assured though, that my decision on this subject will NOT be based on the responses I get... :cool:

~Shard~
Jul 2, 2004, 03:36 PM
Just to complicate things for ya, I'm probably going to short AAPL first thing Monday. ;) I did it a few months ago and made an excellent profit and I think the time is right again. But of course, this is the difference between investing and trading... :cool:

IJ Reilly
Jul 2, 2004, 03:39 PM
There's an old adage in investing: "Buy what you know." A corollary is, "If you can't explain what the company does, you probably shouldn't be buying their stock."

I see no problem approaching investing as a fan of a company's products. None at all. Just be careful (but that always applies).

tkermit
Jul 2, 2004, 03:49 PM
There's an old adage in investing: "Buy what you know." A corollary is, "If you can't explain what the company does, you probably shouldn't be buying their stock."

I see no problem approaching investing as a fan of a company's products. None at all. Just be careful (but that always applies).

right, careful I'll be :rolleyes: :o

I'd really love to know if there's someone around here who is a trader (or in a similar position). Do any of you guys do this stuff professionally or are you just well informed 'hobbyists' (so to say ;) ).

chr. :confused: :)

varmit
Jul 2, 2004, 04:41 PM
http://macminute.com/2004/07/02/buy

http://macnn.com/news/25326

~Shard~
Jul 2, 2004, 10:56 PM
right, careful I'll be :rolleyes: :o

I'd really love to know if there's someone around here who is a trader (or in a similar position). Do any of you guys do this stuff professionally or are you just well informed 'hobbyists' (so to say ;) ).

chr. :confused: :)

I'm a fairly active trader - have been for quite a few years, and have been very successful, I'm happy to say, especially during the dot.com bubble. :cool: If there's anything I can offer advice on or explain to you, just let me know. I perform a great deal of research on companies and use many indicators/tools such as bid-ask spreads, MACD, Beta values, seasonality models, you name it... I'm a risky guy, so I tend to short more often than not, but I also follow seasonality modalties, and have experience in commodities, SPDRs, iShares and ETFs as well as good old fashioned equities. I also dabble in real estate, income trusts, convertible debentures, and flow-through entities, but not as much as I do on the stock markets themselves... :cool:

And for the record, I just shorted 1500 shares of Nortel today and made a decent profit for 1 day's work. ;) :cool: