Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ricciardella

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
McMurray, PA
As a parent, I shoot a lot of high school and college swim meets. I then post the photos to a web site for all parents to enjoy.

Natatoriums are not well lit, so I am always shooting at ISO 1600 or 3200, f/2.8, custom white balance on a Canon 30D with a 70-200 zoom. I take a lot of shots using the cameras high speed drive mode – 5 fps, and have been shooting in JPG.

I have been importing into iPhoto and editing with Photoshop Elements 6 on an iMac. I do post processing on most of the photos I want to post to the website – levels, brightness, saturation, removing any color tint, editing shadows and highlights. I then sharpen and use Noise Ninja to remove noise.

What advantages would Lightroom or Aperature provide to this process?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
To me and for me both applications are nothing more than workflow assistants. I believe when i tried both Aperture and LR Aperture handled my files better and the output from RAW to JPEG was better. It was not best though, that's important to know. With that, I went with the application that didn't edit my originals. In the beginning with LR I felt it would be more destructive to my originals. Now, this is when LR was still in beta and free. I can't comment on what happened after it was publicly released for sale.

I think your workflow is fine but I've heard if you shoot a lot iPhoto can be limiting and with that, you may benefit from a workflow application such as LR or Aperture.

In Aperture I will do light editing of my raws but for dust removal and the likes I will toss it into Photoshop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.