Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powers74

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
When in the realm of possibility is iWeb getting some of that juicy Keynote functionality? Is it possible to save a keynote in a way that preserves some animation for iWeb?

Wakakanada

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
Vancouver, BC, Canada
When in the realm of possibility is iWeb getting some of that juicy Keynote functionality? Is it possible to save a keynote in a way that preserves some animation for iWeb?

I recall seeing posts on this two weeks ago, I'm looking for them now, as I created a Keynote slideshow I intend to get on my iWeb page...

I'll reply here if I find the answer ;)

Wakakanada

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oops

Okay, so I guess it wasn't on this forum I saw stuff, but if you are just looking to create a self-executing Keynote slideshow to put on iWeb, here's what I managed to do:

http://web.me.com/davidalanjoyce/Family_Website/This_Is_Not_Here.html

I did it by setting the slide duration [despite the Keynote help files which suggest this won't make a difference when exporting, I think it did]. Open the Inspector> Slide Inspector> transition
Make the "Start Transition" to "Automatic" on all slides. Add Audio if you want background music. I've seen complicated posts about this, but if you just want a song playing in the background without too much exact matching of slide to precise audio, it works fine, and consistent once saved.

Once the slideshow is done the way you want it, go to the File dropdown and select Export... After trying the Small Web size, my slideshow worked better at medium setting under "Formats" [of the QuickTime" movie option button].

The tricky part was I had to select "Manual Advance" for "Playback Uses" which was counterintuitive, but worked [as once you put it into iWeb, you set it to play automatically]. For Audio, I selected "include audio" and include the slideshow soundtrack. [please note I am not saying any of this is ideal, just my "blunder through" that eventually worked.

I saved it to Desktop.

Two files are created one is a QuickTime movie the other some sound file which you can ignore [hey, it's no fun building something unless you have parts left over, right?]

You should now have a QuickTime movie of your slideshow on your desktop.

Create a blank iWeb page and drag it into it. [Note: Keynote has a "Send To...iWeb option which I think worked well too, but it put the slideshow into a blog/podcast page, whereas I wanted my slideshow on a regular iWeb page.] I the inspector select QuickTime and pick "Autoplay" and deselect "Show movie controller" if you want a clean movie upon opening the page.

You also can upload to YouTube and then do a YouTube widget onto your page. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KMdjGxELKk I found my YouTube slideshow plays a little better than my iWeb version. I did not try a YouTube widget on iWeb for this as the exercise for me was to try and do a non-YouTube slideshow on iWeb.

Of course, this may have not been what you were asking, if not, sorry. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.