PDA

View Full Version : Wi-Fi phone for Mac released

MacBytes
Jul 2, 2004, 02:53 PM
Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: Wi-Fi phone for Mac released (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040702155311)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

sworthy
Jul 2, 2004, 04:22 PM
Cool, but I wonder what the adaptor will be like? Does anyone know how much this typically costs?

"A broadband phone adapter will soon be available to allow Apple computer users with high-speed Internet connections to use Viper's voice over Internet protocol (VoIP) calling services as well."

Fender2112
Jul 2, 2004, 04:36 PM
I guess this is cool news. But I don't get it. I've been using cordless phones for about 15 years and they work great with my existing phone service. I've also been using cell phones for just about as long.

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see anything new about this.

iMeowbot
Jul 2, 2004, 05:49 PM
I guess this is cool news. But I don't get it. I've been using cordless phones for about 15 years and they work great with my existing phone service. I've also been using cell phones for just about as long.

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see anything new about this.
It's all about getting (theoretically) cheaper phone service by using TCP/IP rather than the traditional switched phone network.

I don't really understand why they're calling this phone "for Mac", it's designed to work not just with AirPort but any other WiFi base too. $250 seems a bit steep for a product like this, but I can see where something like it might be handy in a large industrial environment.

mainstreetmark
Jul 3, 2004, 09:08 AM
It's all about getting (theoretically) cheaper phone service by using TCP/IP rather than the traditional switched phone network.

I don't really understand why they're calling this phone "for Mac", it's designed to work not just with AirPort but any other WiFi base too. $250 seems a bit steep for a product like this, but I can see where something like it might be handy in a large industrial environment.

The Voice-over-IP software must have to run on a Mac, maybe..?

eric_n_dfw
Jul 3, 2004, 03:09 PM
According to their web site, it's an 802.11b device only. Doesn't that mean that all of the new "g" devices will have to throttle down in order for it to be on the same access point? (I don't have 802.11g yet)

mainstreetmark
Jul 3, 2004, 03:14 PM
Given that wifi-G runs at around 54MBits, and a typical "broadband" connection runs from 1.5MBit to 2MBits, I dount you'll ever notice, unless you're constantly dumping your entire harddrive to other computers on your LAN.

eric_n_dfw
Jul 3, 2004, 03:33 PM
Actually, I am looking at a powerbook to do FinalCutPro 4 editting from the living room - probably in OfflineRT quality, but still big files none-the-less.

It would be really nice to capture the video in my desktop in online resolution and export the Offine res wirelessly to the PowerBook (without it taking all night to transfer) - I guess I could plug into the network to do those things though!

Back on topic - I just wish they'd go back to making feature rich 900 MHz phones. No fighting with 802.11b/g (nor my microwave oven!) the way the 2.4Ghz and 5.2Ghz ones do (in case you didn't know, most (if not all) 5.2 GHz phones are 2.4 GHz one way, 5.2 the other)

Multi-handset, dual line, 900Mhz Digital Spread Spectrum - is it too much to ask?

eric_n_dfw
Jul 3, 2004, 03:37 PM
.. oh - and what if I'm streaming video over the internet to the laptop, while playing music via AirTunes and a call comes in. Seems like 11Mbs (which, remember, is the maximum, not always the nominal speed) can get filled up pretty quick.

Heck - I don't think I'd do WiFi phone anyway, esp' if my microwave oven is going to knock my call out like it does the network connection.

eric_n_dfw
Jul 3, 2004, 04:23 PM
(in case you didn't know, most (if not all) 5.2 GHz phones are 2.4 GHz one way, 5.2 the other)
I take that back... partially.

Apparently, Uniden makes a model or two that are acutually 5.8Ghz Both ways.

Oh - and everywhere I said 5.2 in my prior posts, I meant 5.8 :-) :p

mainstreetmark
Jul 3, 2004, 04:38 PM
Perhaps you'd like a few more minutes to get your thoughts together? :)

eric_n_dfw
Jul 4, 2004, 07:16 PM
Perhaps you'd like a few more minutes to get your thoughts together? :)
haha - It would take a lot longer than a few minutes! :p ;) :D