Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zuluedison

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
Before I left home I installed xp 64 bit on my macbook not realizing it wasn't supported. I would have isntalled 32 bit if I knew that getting xp64 to work is nearly impossible it seems. However that is no longer an option.

I am typing from someone elses computer now.

I have found and installed some of the drivers needed, however I cannot for the life of me get the ethernet driver to work. I guess I can't find the right one. I even have the wireless working, but due to my situation, I cannot get on any wireless networks. (it allows me to log onto unsecured ones, but the only unsecured networks around here are ones that you have to pay for. When I try and connect to the secured networks that I am allowed to connect to, it says I do not have a certificate to connect or something)

It is windows xp 64 pro edition, service pack 2.

If anyone can help me figure out how to install the ethernet driver (which one I need I guess. the ones on the snow leopard install disc don't seem to work) I would greatly appreciate it. Whenever I try and install the ethernet controller it just tries to install this "NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller". I am not sure where this came from, but after it installs it says there was a problem installing this hardware, code 39.

thanks if anyone can help, i'd really appreciate it.

zuluedison

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
not that it particularly matters, but I have also been unable to install the keyboard and trackpad drivers as well. Although the ethernet one is top priority.

I know some people on the forum have had some success with these.

I am using the snow leopard install disc for some of the drivers.

zuluedison

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
and completely randomly I just got a BSOD...
even though I've had no problems like that since I first booted up yesterday...

zuluedison

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
yeah?

its really too bad apple doesn't support it. I'll have to see what i can do about getting a different version sent to me, this is really dissapointing. especially because I know its possible atleast to get it to work. oh well.

I don't want to use vista...I don't want to use xp 32 bit....and I don't want to shell out the cash for 7. this is very annoying.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
I don't want to use vista...I don't want to use xp 32 bit....and I don't want to shell out the cash for 7. this is very annoying.

Did you shell out the money for XP 64? I agree buying Vista at this point would be a bad idea (what with 7 around the corner) but I hope you didn't just buy XP 64.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.