PDA

View Full Version : Why MobileMe is really worth it

MacBytes
Sep 6, 2009, 10:22 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Services
Link: Why MobileMe is really worth it (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20090906112232)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

anjinha
Sep 6, 2009, 10:34 AM
Good article.

LEStudios
Sep 6, 2009, 11:17 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Services
Link: Why MobileMe is really worth it (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20090906112232)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

I'm Happy!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3491/3793025504_70429d6683.jpg

elppa
Sep 6, 2009, 11:22 AM
What is actually in that box?

More to the point… what's the idea of having a retail box for a cloud based service?

jamesdc
Sep 6, 2009, 11:50 AM
I have one main problem with MobileMe which without I would be very happy with the service.

I am into my second year with my MobileMe family pack and since Push was introduced I have never ever had any email from my MobileMe accounts pushed to any of iPhone 3G, 3GS or iPod Touch 2G and this is the case with all users on my family account.

Everything else pushes perfectly both ways and my mail even pushes outward so to speak, ie if I check my MobileMe email manually and read an email on an Apple mobile device it instantly appears as read on my iMac which receives push email perfectly within seconds of someone sending one to me.

I have been in constant contact with Apple regarding this problem and they have been keeping me up dated as best they can, however I received which seems a final update today stating the message below.

"Thank you for your patience as we have been investigating your issue.

Our engineers are still conducting an in-depth investigation into the root cause of the issue you have reported. Unfortunately, at this point there is no estimated time frame for a fix, as it appears that it will require a lot more engineering time. It may be an issue that is resolved in a future update to MobileMe or the iPhone OS. Apple won't contact you again about this issue unless we have questions about the information you provided."

I would find it hard to believe that my account is the only MobileMe account that doesn't work with push email to any Apple mobile devices :confused:

Gatteau
Sep 6, 2009, 11:57 AM
What is actually in that box?

More to the point… what's the idea of having a retail box for a cloud based service?

Here's whats in the box (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LSQebs_EQM).

aristobrat
Sep 6, 2009, 12:03 PM
Something to put on the shelves in the Apple and Best Buy retail stores? :confused:

GoCubsGo
Sep 6, 2009, 12:07 PM
It baffles me how many times people will ask whether MM is worth it. Worth is very personal in my opinion. While there could be a consensus on personal worth, it does not mean that it is any less personal.

I have MM and if I paid any more than $65 for it then it is not worth it to me. Even at $65 a year it feels like a bit of a rip off. Until Find My iPhone came into the mix I had considered getting rid of MM, but with that, the "worth" of the subscription went right up.

jkimbro0316
Sep 6, 2009, 08:05 PM
Personally, the integration between my mail, contacts, and calendars is definitely the most valuable feature for me. Find My iPhone shouldn't be the only reason for people to buy MM. Plus if someone has an iPhone/iPod Touch, the push email feature is really handy.

pacohaas
Sep 7, 2009, 08:54 AM
find my iPhone should be free.

ajbrehm
Sep 7, 2009, 10:50 AM
From the article:

"What finally turned the corner for me with MobileMe was the 'Find My iPhone' feature of iPhone OS 3.0. It’s everything that an Apple feature is supposed to be."

I tried this when I visited my parents in Germany with my Irish iPhone.

It couldn't find the phone. I tried several times. Roaming worked, the phone was definitely connected to the network.

The only time it ever found my phone was when I was in Dublin.

deboni
Sep 7, 2009, 04:48 PM
I like it, and use it. The automatic syncing from desktop to server to phone is pretty solid. However, as a place to store backups and files in general, it's very limited by low bandwidth and sluggish performance. I sometimes see less than 20 k bits per second uploading images, and my normal upload speed to other server can hit millions of bits per second - easily 100 times as fast as to MM.

SpaceKitty
Sep 7, 2009, 07:10 PM
I think it's worth it as well. Mine renews in 5 days so I'm just going to let it.

I only use it for email and the push services. I love how it keeps three phones and two Macs one Windows computer in sync.

SpaceKitty
Sep 7, 2009, 07:13 PM
Here's whats in the box (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LSQebs_EQM).

That was hard to watch. That boy shouldn't be playing with a sharp knife and then he had trouble getting the papers out of the box. :eek:

Pyrotechnic
Sep 7, 2009, 07:19 PM
I thought it was a girl :D

hexonxonx
Sep 7, 2009, 07:56 PM
I thought it was a girl :D

Ummmm maybe it was.

daze
Sep 7, 2009, 08:05 PM
That was hard to watch. That boy shouldn't be playing with a sharp knife and then he had trouble getting the papers out of the box. :eek:

That's exactly what I was thinking! Big sharp knife!

Scottyk9
Sep 7, 2009, 08:11 PM
If idisk syncing worked as well as other services (like Dropbox), it would be be fantastic. While I like mobileme and will continue using it, I find it disappointing that I have to use another service to do what mobileme is supposed to be able to do.

inigel
Sep 7, 2009, 08:20 PM
I have one main problem with MobileMe which without I would be very happy with the service.

I am into my second year with my MobileMe family pack and since Push was introduced I have never ever had any email from my MobileMe accounts pushed to any of iPhone 3G, 3GS or iPod Touch 2G and this is the case with all users on my family account.

Everything else pushes perfectly both ways and my mail even pushes outward so to speak, ie if I check my MobileMe email manually and read an email on an Apple mobile device it instantly appears as read on my iMac which receives push email perfectly within seconds of someone sending one to me.

I have been in constant contact with Apple regarding this problem and they have been keeping me up dated as best they can, however I received which seems a final update today stating the message below.

"Thank you for your patience as we have been investigating your issue.

Our engineers are still conducting an in-depth investigation into the root cause of the issue you have reported. Unfortunately, at this point there is no estimated time frame for a fix, as it appears that it will require a lot more engineering time. It may be an issue that is resolved in a future update to MobileMe or the iPhone OS. Apple won't contact you again about this issue unless we have questions about the information you provided."

I would find it hard to believe that my account is the only MobileMe account that doesn't work with push email to any Apple mobile devices :confused:

I have the same problem with mail not being "pushed" to my iPhone. I found it only did it when I was connected with wi-fi. When I turn wi-fi off and use the 3G network, it pushes fine.

LEStudios
Sep 7, 2009, 11:04 PM
I have the same problem with mail not being "pushed" to my iPhone. I found it only did it when I was connected with wi-fi. When I turn wi-fi off and use the 3G network, it pushes fine.

My mail works fine make sure you go to setting and select Push on the iPhone. I never had a problem my favorite part is that Contacts updates are push to server or vice versa. I never had such a live up to date address book before and I mean absolutely NEVER with Microsoft. What make it so bad the sit on the Exchange Server technology. :rolleyes:

soLoredd
Sep 8, 2009, 05:57 AM
I like MobileMe, the push services are great and OTA syncing is fantastic. The only thing lacking is iDisk. The speeds are horrendous, to the point where I don't even use it and have to resort to DropBox. I cannot believe Apple continues to let it stay in the state that it is.

So, no I do not think MobileMe is worth $99 but I pay it because having my iPhone in sync with my Mac is great, the galleries are good when I use them, and the email service is fine. But, I think a $69 price point is suffice.

AlmostThere
Sep 8, 2009, 07:32 AM
I wish Apple would include domain name registration and manage migration.

All the workarounds sound like a massive pain and the last thing I want is yet another email address to manage or to be almostthere999999@me.com

53buick
Sep 8, 2009, 01:40 PM
enterataining article. obviously this is worth it for some, but i'm still not sold. i just don't "get it" and I've been a mac zealot since '99.

Jack Flash
Sep 8, 2009, 01:43 PM
It would really be great to see iDisk behave like DropBox.

ajbrehm
Sep 9, 2009, 09:23 AM
The MobileMe Web apps don't really work via proxy servers, or at least via some proxy servers.

Webmail requires me to reload the main window after composing an email so I can send it.

And the calendar usually reloads itself before I can finish adding an item to it.

I contacted support for a year and all they can tell me is that they want to test my account (which works fine when used without a proxy) and that "proxy servers are not supported by MobileMe" (which is silly for a Web app) and that I should use a real email program when I am behind a proxy server (which I cannot because that's what the proxy server is meant to block).

All-in-all, I'd give the following grades:

SMTP: very good
Galleries: very good
Sync: very good
Web mail: wanting
Web calendar: extremely wanting
Find iPhone: fail (it mostly works, but it's only useful when I can rely on it and since it sometimes doesn't work, it's useless)

jamesdmc
Sep 9, 2009, 10:05 AM
It would really be great to see iDisk behave like DropBox.

+1.

iDisk syncing works, but there's no telling *when* the sync will take place. Even if I click on the icon in my menu bar and select "sync now", files don't always sync at that moment. That's a major reason why the guys at 1Password use Dropbox instead of iDisk.

Also, I'm now using Dropbox to sync data from other apps (like LicenseKeeper (http://outerlevel.com/licensekeeper/)) via symlinks. I think I tried symlinks with iDisk and kept getting an error about symlinks not being supported.

That being said, I've been using MobileMe Family for a couple of years now and will continue to do so as long as I can get it for $70 or less. With three macs in the house, it definitely has value for me in the things it does correctly, but I'm not getting as much out of it as I could because if its shortcomings.

James

JuanGuapo
Sep 9, 2009, 04:46 PM
I like Andy Ihnatko, he really tells it like it is. However, after reading Andy's article it sounds like his only real praise of MM is the Find my iPhone feature. I don't think there's anything we know about MM that he doesn't or vice-vera; it's not a very good service, esp. when you factor in reliability and cost. Furthermore, even if you add up the costs of each individual component, there are still "FREE" services on the Internet--you cannot argue against free if the service is equally (if not more) reliable and easy to use.

My wife and I both have MM accounts but I've been slowly, slowly moving away from it and on to other services for e-mail/blog/photos.... The absolute last straw for me was the SMTP issues that had/have been going on for the past 6+ weeks. There was plenty of discussion (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2100150&start=0&tstart=0) about it on Apple's Discussion Boards but no real response from Apple. I went round-and-around with their MM Chat support over timeout issues w/ MM's SMTP server but in the end all they did was blame my ISP, or the "...ethernet cable between my modem and [Apple] router." I was furious to say the least.

I went back to using my old Yahoo account (free push for iPhone btw) and got the plus membership for $20/yr. I'm happy w/ it and I've not had Yahoo's SMTP time out once on me; moreover, I have a Gmail account (university) and their SMTP has not timed out on me either.

BTMM has only worked one time since we got it....one time, and we have an Apple Airport Extreme (dual band) 802.11n router. I've tried to get it to work at the university and at the coffee shop, it has only worked one time. My wife tried to get it to work in her classroom, didn't work there either.

Apple really doesn't know how to run a cloud-based system....it's going on a year since the MobileMe switch and they still have outages, downtime, etc. Gmail has them too, but I've never had a time where I wasn't able to receive and/or send e-mail through their service (and it's free). Yahoo hasn't had any issues in the last 6-12mo that I can remember, either.

For e-mail, I've had really good service with both Gmail and Yahoo. I can't complain about either of them. I happen to prefer Yahoo b/c the plus membership removes the ads, and is dirt cheap ($20/yr). Even Hotmail isn't that bad...it's always worked when I've used it, but my daily driver is (and will probably always be) Yahoo.

For photos, I'm all about Flickr. For blogs, I happen to really like Wordpress. For videos, Youtube.

I've yet to find anything that is really as suitable as iDisk. Live Skydrive is ok but it won't let you upload anything from the Finder, or over 50GB (M$ software). I've seen Dropbox but I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

macjunk(ie)
Sep 10, 2009, 11:40 AM
I recently cancelled my mobile me membership (and yes..i did get a refund!)..though i did appreciate the syncing abilities...what i really hated was the fact that mails from Me would land up in Gmail's spam folder for most of the recipients...this is a major hassle...right now..i m pretty happy with gmail + spanning sync...i m sure..one of these days..gmail will release push for email too...

ob81
Sep 10, 2009, 01:06 PM
I had mobile me since it was .mac back in like 2004 or something. For the most part the price is a ripoff. You can duplicate most of the functions for free. It sells to people that enjoy having integration between apple products, and who don't care to search for alternatives. It is only $99 a year though. With the money I saved from not buying mobile me, I took my son to McDonald's and let him get 2 ice creams.

sommls
Sep 10, 2009, 10:05 PM
The iDisk access times, for me at least, are just breathtakingly bad compared to Dropbox. Apple should actually be ashamed of how substandard this part of the package is.

By contrast, the simultaneous calendar and address book sync over the phone, laptop, and desktop for non-work related issues are the major reason I'm likely to renew.

Sure, this could all be done with a mosaic of apps from other sources, but it is now sufficiently seamless that not wasting the time on this allows me to waste time on other things that I simply find more fun...

djchuckc27
Sep 11, 2009, 05:00 AM
The push syncing is amazing of course, but what also makes it most worth it for me? iWeb & my Podcast. I record my music, import it into GarageBand, send the Podcast to iWeb, publish the blog, ping the feed, and now my latest episode to my Podcast "Melodica" is available in iTunes to be subscribed to. Also by linking images directly to my Podcast in iTunes from my iWeb site. I think it's pretty neat!

Please check it out and give me some feedback on my work and how I use MobileMe. Thanks in advance!

www.djchuckc.com

jamin100
Sep 11, 2009, 05:36 AM
IMO MobileMe was a waste of money for me.

I started out with it and thought it was ok. I had an iphone 3G but couldnt get any emails pushed out to my phone. But the main reason to get it was the idisk syncing with my mac.

It turns out that this is awfull!

So after about 6 months I made some major changes!

I wanted a googlemail account but didnt want Ben7574944@googlemail.com so I brought my own domain for $10 and the set it up with a free google apps account.

Then i brought the pro version of Dropbox. 50GB storage and Syncing that actually works and believe me it works VERY VERY well.

Then i ditched the iphone for a balackbery curve 8900 and every email gets synced to my phone immediately.!

I am now a happy web user once more!

Bevz
Sep 13, 2009, 04:53 AM
Good Article.

I couldn't agree more about Apple not going far enough with integration... Lock it all down, ok, but at the same time give me a TOTALLY integrated system..

Mike Teezie
Sep 17, 2009, 10:08 AM
Good Article.

I couldn't agree more about Apple not going far enough with integration... Lock it all down, ok, but at the same time give me a TOTALLY integrated system..

That was the part of the article that resonated with me. I have my own Apple ecosystem - Mac Pro at my office, Macbook Pro at home, iPhone 3Gs, 2 AppleTVs, 3 Airport Express, and an Airport Extreme.

There are 3rd part apps for iPhone that will stream your music to your phone. Why won't Apple throw this in? I want coooool stuff, like Remote. Remote is great. If Apple threw some neat features in, it would make the cost seem that much more bearable.

And for the money, iDisk blows. The utter sluggishness is unacceptable to me.

All that said, I'll re-up just for the seamless calendar syncing between my work and home computers, and iPhone.

SpaceKitty
Sep 17, 2009, 10:17 AM
My MobileMe expired on Tuesday and I wasn't sure that I wanted to renew. It expired because I no longer had the credit card active that they had on record. I went through two days of not having it. I added some new contacts to my phone and I forgot that they wouldn't just sync to the Macs at home and my other two iPhones sitting there.

Then there was the email that no longer pushed and updated on the computer almost instantly when I read an email on the phone.

I couldn't handle it anymore and renewed my sub for another year. It took about an hour for my account to start working again and I just want to say that those were the worst two days of this week! :mad:

I feel like I'm alive again! haha :) It is worth it just for the syncing between everything OTA.

w00master
Sep 17, 2009, 04:41 PM
I've seen Dropbox but I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

You really should check out DropBox. You'll honestly never go back to iDisk. It is imho the absolute best app of its kind out there.

*on topic*

Personally, I do not think MobileMe is worth the $99 price tag. The only reason why I pay for it right now is for the over-the-air contact and calendar syncing. Beyond that, I find MM extremely useless. That's me though.

I really wish I could just get over-the-air syncing and nothing else and charge me less. The other stuff like iDisk, MobileMe mail, iWeb stuff, etc. are completely useless for me.

w00master